Why I don't want to be stuck on 100LL

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Pretty much out of my control but right now this is what is available and a pretty good example.

(top picture shows $6.31 is cheapest in KLNK for transient traffic.)

Local Casey's gas station

I know that high compression engines like the O-470U in my 182 can't get a mogas stc because mogas does not have the detonation rating needed for high compression engines but does anyone know if any work has been done on lowering the the service ceiling for a plane to allow it? It's my understanding that the problem is only at altitude. My service ceiling is 16,500 and I've never had it above 11K and that was just once to see what it was like. I'd be happy to restrict my usage to under 10K if it meant I could run MOGAS.

I just saw unleaded for $1.79! Avgas at my home field $7.28.

I've actually started considering picking up a Bo with the injected 470 and auto fuel STC.

I predict aviation will go to auto fuel (small stuff) and Jet A.

These price deltas are crazy!

I've actually started considering picking up a Bo with the injected 470 and auto fuel STC.

I know the HUGE deltas are probably temporary but wow.

Hy-Vee offers ethanol free fuel that is 91 octane. If you have a Hy-Vee in your area it might be worth checking out.

Tony

Hy-Vee offers ethanol free fuel that is 91 octane. If you have a Hy-Vee in your area it might be worth checking out.

Tony

Thanks for the tip. On the 150 horse (Lycoming O-320E2D) 87 is fine.

But what you mentioned can be run in aircraft as big as a 210 using this http://www.flyinpulse.com/.

The cost savings long term can't be ignored.

Bastids you guys in corntupia can find cornless fuel and we are stuck burning your crap.

I've been burning 91 octane for 12 years, over 2,000 hours flying time, saving approximately $30,000.

fuel_tank.JPG

Come on over to the dark side.

Bastids you guys in corntupia can find cornless fuel and we are stuck burning your crap.

Blaming others for your inadequacies is no way to go through life. :rolleyes:

Hint: Ethonal is ADDED to the fuel in your area. Seems the only people you need to blame are the ones you voted for.

They tried to make ethanol mandatory here, but we are that stupid. :rofl:

Last edited:
I paid 4.70 for 100LL at KCWS Sunday.... Something is crazy wrong with what you seeing.

No kidding....but how long will it last?

:dunno: Life is short, enjoy it whenever you can.:lol: The real question is how long will it be before our oilfield economy which has been supporting our overall economy for the last several years collapses. Don't expext all the drilling and pumping to continue with cheap foreign oil available.

Fla west coast 100 ll is under 4.00 is some places and under 5 .00 in most self serve . Pgd is posting 3.55 self serve . Go fly.

Sounds like you are at Addison. 100LL is $3.30 at Sherman municipal which is about 40NNM from you.

Hint: Ethonal is ADDED to the fuel in your area. Seems the only people you need to blame are the ones you voted for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

:dunno: Life is short, enjoy it whenever you can.:lol: The real question is how long will it be before our oilfield economy which has been supporting our overall economy for the last several years collapses. Don't expext all the drilling and pumping to continue with cheap foreign oil available.

Slap a tarrif on imported oil like we use to. Dumping goods and products into a foreign market to lower prices harms domestic production. It is the oldest trick in the book. Flood your competition with cheap goods until the manufacturing capabilities are gone.

Slap a tarrif on imported oil like we use to. Dumping goods and products into a foreign market to lower prices harms domestic production. It is the oldest trick in the book. Flood your competition with cheap goods until the manufacturing capabilities are gone.

Dude, the same people who got the tariffs eliminated are the ones that are still in control. They don't give a **** about us, just what makes them the greatest profit this quarter, regardless the cost to anyone else. They know the price will go up again and they will cap the wells until the margins are higher and use the resources they are pumping cheaper elsewhere. You have to remember, the same people own the rights to all the fields in the whole world. That is what ever war of the last century was about, that control, even the Cold War.

Last edited:
Mogas was one of the selling points for me. Too many unknowns with 100ll. Also nice to save a little cash where you can...

I guess I'm burned out and over the disparity in fuel prices ...

$1.94 for 87 unleaded gas in the car yesterday,
$3.34 for #2 diesel in the truck
$4.69 for 100LL at KLMO

A couple of months ago they were ALL much higher.

For the gallery, Alex is based at KADS, which is long known for fuel prices way above average.

Within a 20 minute flight, there are 100LL prices under $4.00 (seeing some n AirNav for $3.69/gal)

KSWI (Sherman, TX) is showing a report of $3.35/gal.

----------------------------------------

$1.83 for unleaded was spotted on my way into work today.

Last edited:
For the gallery, Alex is based at KADS, which is long known for fuel prices way above average.

Within a 20 minute flight, there are 100LL prices under $4.00 (seeing some n AirNav for $3.69/gal)

KSWI (Sherman, TX) is showing a report of $3.35/gal.

----------------------------------------

$1.83 for unleaded was spotted on my way into work today.

I am actually thinking about getting a 1000 gallon refueling trailer and just driving up to Sherman to load up. If I save $3.00 after expenses that is still $3000 or about $12K a year. Hummmm.

I am actually thinking about getting a 1000 gallon refueling trailer and just driving up to Sherman to load up. If I save $3.00 after expenses that is still $3000 or about $12K a year. Hummmm.

Just do it. Thinking about it doesn't accomplish a thing. ;)

Hell yes, me and some buddies did that even way back when we were only saving $1 a gallon going to the rack, but that buck was more than 100% the difference. Look for an old fuel truck, you can get them cheap and they are more practical.

Just do it. Thinking about it doesn't accomplish a thing. ;)

I am not a guy that just thinks about doing something. The problem historically has been that the price delta, travel time and expenses, plus trailer cost, didn't make sense. Just like putting 1.2 on the Hobbs to get cheaper gas doesn't make sense. Now it obviously does, the question is will it last long enough to recoup the investment in the fueling trailer? If you know the answer, do tell.

Hell yes, me and some buddies did that even way back when we were only saving $1 a gallon going to the rack, but that buck was more than 100% the difference. Look for an old fuel truck, you can get them cheap and they are more practical.

I have a 2500HD, so a trailer will be a lot cheaper and easier than getting a fuel truck road legal.

I'm looking for a trailer now.

100LL
Yankton SD 5.75
Tea SD 5.39
Norfolk NE $4.78
Front Range CO $4.89
We got a new airport mgr at front range....I predict there will be a strong, tenant-based request for mogas in a few months. we have a huge builder/experimental population on the field. and those of use with the lower hp engines can run the mogas. I will happily pay $400 every few years for new hoses in exchange for lower fuel costs for the O360.

It's not a local government thing. It's an EPA mandate if you are in one of the more polluted metro areas. The choices are EtOH (which is what is used) or MTBE which used to be used until everybody's leaking underground tanks poisoned the ground water with it (I guess nobody *hic* is concerned *hic* about the EtOH contamination).

Since Denton is posting sub-$4.00, it might not be worth the $200 diff on 1000 gallons for the additional miles/time to Sherman.

If you do this, and become a regular heavy purchaser, it's worth negotiating a better deal with the local FBO. Between hangar rent and fuel purchases, MFC is spending around $6k/mo with BizAir. You bet your sweet patootie we negotiate for a few perks including a discount on fuel.

We got a new airport mgr at front range....I predict there will be a strong, tenant-based request for mogas in a few months. we have a huge builder/experimental population on the field. and those of use with the lower hp engines can run the mogas. I will happily pay $400 every few years for new hoses in exchange for lower fuel costs for the O360.

Shouldn't have to replace hoses but one every decade or so.

I sent all my old rubber ones out last year and installed fire sleeved PTFE (Teflon) TSO-???? (can't remember). The first airplane I did the parts were under $450. Even on many turbine aircraft Teflon hoses are good for 10 years. Some aircraft manufacturers considered "life time" hoses.

Then there are the hoses running hydraulic actuators with no suggested life limit at all, also Teflon.

I've replace all fuel system O-rings in a 177B last year and it can't burn auto gas. They were just plain too old and when the temperatures fell they leaked.

I have a 2500HD, so a trailer will be a lot cheaper and easier than getting a fuel truck road legal.

I'm looking for a trailer now.

Connect with Walt M at the Rocking M. He regularly reviews large equipment auctions to find deals on equipment he might want/need for his airport.

It's not a local government thing. It's an EPA mandate if you are in one of the more polluted metro areas. The choices are EtOH (which is what is used) or MTBE which used to be used until everybody's leaking underground tanks poisoned the ground water with it (I guess nobody *hic* is concerned *hic* about the EtOH contamination).
And the lobbyists from Cornuckistan. If you like your corn why don't you keep your corn?:rolleyes2:

Back