Why haven't you been to a POA fly-in ?

Ok, so now I officially feel stupid. I clicked on the thread and promptly ignored the title for the body of the thread… the forest for the trees or something like that…
All those details are buried deeep in the THREAD TITLE ITSLEF. Crazy, I know.

The more important question is: What does ITSLEF mean?

The more important question is: What does ITSLEF mean?

dude, I'm dyslexic, that's not funny.

I'm just kidding, it's funny. and I actually do find myself being more dyslexic these days, or maybe just one finger types faster than another, I dunno.

dude, I'm dyslexic, that's not funny.

I'm just kidding, it's funny. and I actually do find myself being more dyslexic these days, or maybe just one finger types faster than another, I dunno.

Reminds me of this one:

Attachments

• spaghatta noodle forkhasface.png
    spaghatta noodle forkhasface.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 36
E89 looks like a nice spot west of the Mississippi. Kinda Rough River-ish. Lake resort, airport adjacent. Any PIREPS?

Well initial training with jet blue, initial with delta, and this last one Captain upgrade OE.

Next one should be a go though.

To the OP’s original question, POA’s motto is ‘Criticizing other Pilots Since Daedalus and Icarus’. Been on the receiving end of a lot of vituperative attacks; no desire to meet anyone. It is a good resource for figuring out if you need a 1/8th or 2 mm diameter brake caliper O-ring for a 1967 1/2 Champ though.

I've started many of my introductions to new folks at fly-ins with "I apologize for everything I've ever said on PoA" just to avoid this very scenario
I can attest to that as it happened at the very first RR I attended. I thought to myself at the time, (Is this Guy an Ax murderer or what?).

I can attest to that as it happened at the very first RR I attended. I thought to myself at the time, (Is this Guy an Ax murderer or what?).
He can be an apologetic axe murder right?

E89 looks like a nice spot west of the Mississippi. Kinda Rough River-ish. Lake resort, airport adjacent. Any PIREPS?
I’d make a new thread for this question and a poll on how many would attend.

How hard has it been at these places to find a weekend when the cabins aren't already booked?

How hard has it been at these places to find a weekend when the cabins aren't already booked?
I booked at 1 pm the day of at RR this year. Completely variable. Gaston’s has had weddings which sucked up a lot of rooms and other weekends where people booked day of or made friends and grabbed a spare bed.

@Kitch You are hereby invited (to the annual Rough River PoA flyin at 2I3 airport at Falls of Rough state part in Kentucky)

Perhaps that's part of the problem - you seem to be making some sort of connection between your career and this message board. The creation of PoA predates me, but as I understand it the purpose was to bring people together that were enthusiastic about GA, and fly-ins were central to that. Sure we have folks that are here just to ask/answer questions about owning, 61.51, aviation careers, etc...but the social aspect was part of PoA's DNA since its inception. I've been to Rough River a few times, and the best thing about it (IMO) is that you get a bunch of people from all different backgrounds and experiences coming together to a random spot in Kentucky, and we always manage to have a fantastic time. Nobody cares what you do in real life, what airplane you own (or don't - I'm always driving in or bumming a ride!), whether you're introverted or extroverted, or whether you drink - we just have fun in a cool location and BS about airplanes. Even the wives have a good time!

At my first fly-in, one of the guys I got along with most was OkieFlyer. That dude is country through and through, and I've been a big city boy my whole life. I'm a Longhorn, and he's a stinkin' Sooner. But by the end of that three days I would have given him the shirt off my back, and I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual. There's something about aviation that generates those sort of connections, and I think that's pretty cool.
It wasn’t so much as my career, but rather the criticism of my interpreting of things doesn’t bother me at this point in my life.
I’m a high time airline Capt, and if someone doesn’t like if I say atitp, I don’t give a crap. I use my best judgment, and if folks here don’t like it… I don’t give a rats ass at this point.

Does the forum's "Ignore" function work at POA fly-ins?

TBH that’s a legitimate question.
Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs.jpg

It wasn’t so much as my career, but rather the criticism of my interpreting of things doesn’t bother me at this point in my life.
I’m a high time airline Capt, and if someone doesn’t like if I say atitp, I don’t give a crap. I use my best judgment, and if folks here don’t like it… I don’t give a rats ass at this point.

It sounds to me like you care more than you admit. Like any gathering of this kind, there's gonna be some good natured ribbing. Nobody there will care that you're a high time airline captain. IMO that's what makes the gathering so great. If your ego can't handle that then you're right - it's likely not the sort of setting you'll enjoy.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you care more than you admit. Like any gathering of this kind, there's gonna be some good natured ribbing. Nobody there will care that you're a high time airline captain. IMO that's what makes the gathering so great. If your ego can't handle that then you're right - it's likely not the sort of setting you'll enjoy.
Whatever. I’m not sure why you are trying to psycho analyze me.
There is no hidden meaning in what I’m saying.

I’m a fairly social person, and would have nothing against meeting folks from the boards. Of course I’m not so excited to do it that I clear my schedule and transport myself half way across the country.

That still doesn’t mean the boards here are consistently pleasant to some well meaning folks.

That still doesn’t mean the boards here are consistently pleasant to some well meaning folks.

I absolutely agree. But I think you'll find it's a different situation in person (that's probably pretty typical for the internet!). :)

Whatever. I’m not sure why you are trying to psycho analyze me.
There is no hidden meaning in what I’m saying.

I’m a fairly social person, and would have nothing against meeting folks from the boards. Of course I’m not so excited to do it that I clear my schedule and transport myself half way across the country.

It seems you might think the whole weekend is a big ****ing contest of who flies what and who has the coolest plane on the ramp. It definitely isn’t that way. Everyone that I’ve met from this board is down to earth, welcoming and friendly. I’ve found in person interactions to be a lot more inviting than communicating online. :)

The free bourbon shot didn’t hurt either! :cheers:

I would go to a POA fly-in if it was within a couple hundred miles of Central Texas. You would think with all the Texas and Oklahoma POA members, there would be a get together somewhere near here.

That, and I have no air machine...

I would go to a POA fly-in if it was within a couple hundred miles of Central Texas. You would think with all the Texas and Oklahoma POA members, there would be a get together somewhere near here.

That, and I have no air machine...
I'm hoping the cedar Mills one comes together. That would be a fantastic little fly-in

I don't drink so I'm not sure what I would do the whole time at a POA fly in. :p

I did enjoy the dinner I got to have with @SixPapaCharlie years ago. I wouldn't mind hanging out with you more. Timing doesn't usually work and I can't stay over to Sunday. So I would be a quick Friday/Saturday person.

I now feel obligated to make a fly in.

How does one reserve those cabins?
I'm not 100% sure. I spent the night there at those cabins once but it's been about 10 years. I'll look online and see if there's a main office you can call to book a group of them

i haven't attended a POA fly in since probably 2011 or so Gastons? But that is mostly because they tend to happen in the summer when I get occupied flying gliders. Always had a Mighty Fine Time at all of them!

Back