Why have 2 panel GPS units?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Why are there panels with one 430 and a 530, or two 430's? What is the point of having multiple GPS' in a panel? If it was for screen space, wouldn't an MX200 or similar MFD be a more desirable option?

Well I know that some aircraft have dual 430's for their radio functions. The fact that you end up with dual redundant GPS units is just a bonus, I suppose.

Why are there panels with one 430 and a 530, or two 430's? What is the point of having multiple GPS' in a panel? If it was for screen space, wouldn't an MX200 or similar MFD be a more desirable option?

A few reasons.

Redundancy if one fails.

The two units can be set for two different display modes.

The Garmins are GPS and Comm/Nav radios, so many people choose to replace older nr 2 Comm/Nav radios with a second Garmin. An MFD doesn't have the radio feature.

This is essentially my plan for the Baron. When it comes time to replace the secondary comm/Nav radios, I plan to replace them with a second Garmin.

What Fearless said. The 310 has a 530W/430W. Love it.

What Fearless said. The 310 has a 530W/430W. Love it.
And if you are going to have two nav/coms, it is nice if they both have the same type controls.
That said, I have a GNS 530w and a GNC-225 nav/com and I am happy with that arrangement. But I also have a 696 on a ram mount for secondary GPS function.

Have a 430 + 530, can set up different way points and functions,can also setup 2 approaches, .

Because our MMEL requires at least one aviation radio and one operational GPS. :wink2:

Because you have too much money? That's a very expensive second radio, I assume you need a way of selecting which GPS is your primary?

If it were panel space in question, the last thing I'd want is an MX-20 or MX-200 because they are just displays - they don't actually do anything else on their own. They were great for back when GPS units had cruddy displays, but nowadays units like the GTN 750 include great displays as well and also combine WAAS GPS and a NAV/COM/GS (and even audio panel, storm scope, etc).

In my case, I got rid of an old Apollo GX-60 IFR/Nav/Comm/GS/GPS and MX-20 and replaced them with a GTN-750. I gained functionality and saved about 3" of panel space.

In theory, one could replace all my panel junk with a GTN-750 (which would run a remoted audio panel, my WX-500 storm scope, a remoted xpdr, and even a remoted ADS-B and then I could have either a simple backup radio, or a GTN-650 if you want full backup, and auto pilot. And nothing else.

That would leave enough room in the panel to install that nice mahogany liquor cabinet I've been dreaming of! :D

Last edited:
Redundancy mostly. We had a 530 and a 430 in the Maule and I can't remember what it was but there was a specific feature or function on the 430 that was better than the 530 and we were always using it for that in conjunction.

So it wasn't like a waste of panel space.

Set up the missed approach on the other unit. Less button pushing that way. Its all ready to go when you need it.

My backup GPS is my iPad. My back up back up is my iPhone. Both with a little help from bad elf when signal gets wonky.

It's funny but back in the day when the 430s and 530s were leading edge, most approaches were done with the Nav radios... and it's always made sense to have 2 Nav radios for IFR work independent of redundancy concerns.

Interestingly, most of the responses here indirectly acknowledge the desirability of 2 Navs but we seem to have shifted to being GPS-centric, yes?

But you don't necessarily get any advantage from 2 GPS units. It's nice to be able to display different screens on the 2 devices but not essential.

Redundancy, second NAV/COM, and something to show extra navigation information.

I like using the second unit to display cross track error. On longer cross countries I like to keep it at 0.00NM error to entertain me.

So you can use the Crossfill button.

What everyone else said

Redundancy, dual nav comms, better dispatch rate as a /G

Most folks will have the lower nav (the smaller one) on the FPL screen, and the larger upper box on the map screen with cross fill engaged.

Have dual boxes really is the way to go, 430/530 or 530/530 is a great IFR combo.

Primary issue is redundancy in IMC, also many of these installs were beef ForeFlight, WingX and Garmin pilot. The Garmin Pilot/Flight Stream solution has eliminated another reason, the ability to load a back up flight plan ready to make active that can instantly transfer.

Because garmin navcoms are hideously overpriced.

Right now the best I can think of is two independent 750-G500 sets left and right seat. It would be so nice to be able to retrofit a new G-3X.

Why?

Standard six pack, Sandell, 430 or 480 and a 530, pick them up used, for less than half that panel and have the same capabilities.

Ideal panel for IFR would be Garmin 750/650 with G500 and STEC55 autopilot. Cost a small fortune unfortunately.

Ideal panel for IFR would be Garmin 750/650 with G500 and STEC55 autopilot. Cost a small fortune unfortunately.

I see people pulling 530s and Aspens out to put exactly that combo in their planes.

Try to think of it not as two GPS units but two multifunction displays that just happen to have a GPS and a NAVCOM built in.

Some folks just have more money then brains.

So, if someone has the money for this and can still pay the rent when they're done, they are stupid? Good grief, why do you have to continually insult people instead of realizing that there may be other perspectives than yours?

So, if someone has the money for this and can still pay the rent when they're done, they are stupid? Good grief, why do you have to continually insult people instead of realizing that there may be other perspectives than yours?

Don't'cha know that his perspective is the *only* valid one?

Don't'cha know that his perspective is the *only* valid one?

I believe the *only* one who doesn't know that is James because he thinks it's common sense stuff that ANYONE should be able to figure out and only arrive at his conclusion.... But that's just me, and I'm a self admitted jerk.

Last edited:
Back