Why get your IR? Video

Bravo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bravo
For me, I live in an area that gets cloudy for weeks on end. It is nice to see the sun every once in a while. I recently got my IR and finally got a chance to really use it this winter. I thought you guys working towards your IR might enjoy this little video I put together from Monday. Departing runway 27 at 2G4 with OVC at 400', landing KFKL ILS 21 with BKN 500' OVC 1800. You will need click the blue text to watch it on vimeo to see it in HD.

http://vimeo.com/114767615

Last edited:
Great video. I am in NE PA and we haven't seen the sun here in 10 straight days, and on the last sunny day the winds were 18 gusting 28.

Great video. I am in NE PA and we haven't seen the sun here in 10 straight days, and on the last sunny day the winds were 18 gusting 28.

Thanks. I can definitely relate! We get a lot of wind as well being near 3000' MSL. Another reason I am liking the IR is it seems like the low clouds bring mild or no wind. Of course that would not relate to the metar right now. BKN 400' winds 14-27 knots.

Last edited:
Really nice video! Physics alert: good shot of a glory starting about 2:05. Haven't seen one that clear yet myself since getting my IR.

Do you not have the ability to record comm audio? It would be really nice to hear the back and forth with ATC.

Wish we had flyable IFR weather here. We just had about 3 days of low ceilings with no precip, and a strong inversion with warm temps at 3000 and above, but it's been about 3C too cold near the surface. Small risk of icing, but no outs. I'm bummed.

Great video!

Thanks!

Really nice video! Physics alert: good shot of a glory starting about 2:05. Haven't seen one that clear yet myself since getting my IR.

Do you not have the ability to record comm audio? It would be really nice to hear the back and forth with ATC.

Wish we had flyable IFR weather here. We just had about 3 days of low ceilings with no precip, and a strong inversion with warm temps at 3000 and above, but it's been about 3C too cold near the surface. Small risk of icing, but no outs. I'm bummed.

I wasn't aware it had a name but definitely thought it was neat. Thanks for pointing it out. I usually do get the audio but my garmin virb took kicked the bucket, so no audio this time. Temps were as forecasted for me. +3 on the ground and increased to +10 at 7000'. Was nice getting that temperature inversion.

That was a fine landing!

Thank you sir!

Nice video, and now there's 3 new music tracks I need to buy. So give me the list.

Specifically the Coldplay Clubmix, the Trap House track (#2).

The best one, ZHU - Faded, is fantastic! Plus that video reminds me of the good ol days. :)

Last edited:
Ha, as soon as you went into the clouds on takeoff I got the leans to the left.:D Something I have to fight most every time I initially hit the clouds.

Nice video, and now there's 3 new music tracks I need to buy. So give me the list.

Specifically the Coldplay Clubmix, the Trap House track (#2).

The best one, ZHU - Faded, is fantastic! Plus that video reminds me of the good ol days. :)

Thanks. Here is the songs you seek.

Coldplay - fix you (Collin McLoughlin Remix)
Lazy Rich & Hot Mouth - Bonk!

The other song you didn't mention was Bread - Make it with you.

Enjoy..

Last edited:
Ha, as soon as you went into the clouds on takeoff I got the leans to the left.:D Something I have to fight most every time I initially hit the clouds.

I put my head down before going in. Seems to help. :)

I was in a descending turn to the right. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video. Weather around here has been pretty overcast, also, but my airplane is down for maintenance :(.

Thanks. Here is the songs you seek.

Coldplay - fix you (Collin McLoughlin Remix)
Lazy Rich & Hot Mouth - Bonk!

The other song you didn't mention was Bread - Make it with you.

Enjoy..

Cool, thanks!

Thanks for the video, it is that time of year when the sun almost scares you when it does come out.

As a procrastinating IR student I enjoyed the video. I was watching how you utilized the throttle too. And a great landing!!!
Thanks for sharing

Really nice video! Physics alert: good shot of a glory starting about 2:05.

Is that what it's called? My wife and I took about a hundred pics/vids of one of those one day. It was so cool. I didn't know it had a name. :thumbsup:

To the OP... nice video!

Last edited:
Nice video. What did you use for editing?

Thanks. Windows movie maker.

Nice video, thanks

Thank you

Nice video! I have to get current again sometime in the spring.

I thought CFI's were always current. ;)

Nice video. Weather around here has been pretty overcast, also, but my airplane is down for maintenance :(.

Thanks. I have had my share of down time. I can relate.

Cool, thanks!

You're welcome

Thanks for the video, it is that time of year when the sun almost scares you when it does come out.

That's the truth

As a procrastinating IR student I enjoyed the video. I was watching how you utilized the throttle too. And a great landing!!!
Thanks for sharing

Thanks. Get yours done! Stop procrastinating....

Is that what it's called? My wife and I took about a hundred pics/vids of one of those one day. It was so cool. I didn't know it had a name. :thumbsup:

To the OP... nice video!

Thanks. I also did not know it had an official name. I'm excited to look for that again.

I notice that you got the gear up right away after the wheels left the tarmac and quite a bit of hand steering before.

Aerostars are not good climbers between redline and blueline, so you want to get them up to blueline as quickly as possible where they start to shine. Soon as I have visual positive climb (not the gauge) I get the gear up. And right after I bleed some degrees of flap off to get me from 20 to 10 degrees. At blueline, I normally get rid of all the flap.

After you've left ground, gear and flaps are just drag. My MO has always been to get rid of that as soon as possible for safety reasons. I'd rather risk belly landing her on remaining runway should that exist, than not be able to climb or go around in case it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
It's like a secret that only we know about... most people think it's cloudy. We know the truth; it's a beautiful, sun-shiny day!

Dude! That was like a movie trailer! Now I want to see the rest of the movie! Nice job! (BTW -- did you fly any of that clearance?)

My camera quit pretty much right after this, but it was high drama. He vectored me towards SLI and then the next sector controllers radio went down so he had all of us vectored around in circles for about 10 minutes. I wish he'd given me a hold instead so I could count that towards my currency.:D But eventually the ILS into Chino was pretty uneventful. Broke out around 1000ft, but it was layered all the way down.

Good practice. I'm still very new IFR pilot.

Last edited:
I earned my IR this year and it's been nothing less than exhilarating when I'm in IMC. Even after getting my ticket, I was a little apprehensive because all I've been told since I got my PPL years ago was "stay away from clouds". That's now behind me and I enjoy every minute of IMC and approaches.

Back