Why doe the Garmin Aera 660 charger do this?

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
Come apart?

bhWevm.jpg

Hmmmm...interesting. I have a wallwart for another device that has the same detachable prongs. I always thought it was to make it storeable in a slightly flatter area. Another one I have rotates the two prongs inward to achieve the same goal.

Apple power supplies for both the iPad and MacBook have a similar rig. Very handy when traveling internationally.

Well, that works for the UK. There are many others, as well. :D

I thought a single example was sufficient to convey the message, and the UK one makes it clear that it is not the same as any others. The reason for the square pins was I believe to ensure incompatibility with the previous equipment.

Every plug has a fuse. No one else seems to do that so it's probably overkill.

Well, that works for the UK. There are many others, as well. :D

Not that many that count. If you have North America, the UK, the dual round pin European version, and that silly angled thing they use in Australia, you have a pretty big swath of the world covered.

Oh, and in a pinch, you can get the two prong European plug to fit in a U.K. socket outlet if you use a (preferably non-conducting) probe to trip the ground prong lock. ;)

Last edited:
Not that many that count. If you have North America, the UK, the dual round pin European version, and that silly angled thing they use in Australia, you have a pretty big swath of the world covered.

Oh, and in a pinch, you can get the two prong European plug to fit in a U.K. socket outlet if you use a (preferably non-conducting) probe to trip the ground prong lock. ;)

That "silly angled thing" also works in China. There might be some minor differences in dimensions, but not enough to matter. ;)

Back