Why do you want to monitor 121.5

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I see that on here and other boards a lot.

I haven't figured out why I would tune to the emergency frequency on long flights. I recall many posts where people have mentioned that they monitor this frequency.

Why?

Well one reason to monitor it is if you have an aircraft that has made a forced landing, they might not be able to perform radio communications on the ground, but they could relay them to an aircraft flying over. I've heard of airliners relaying messages to ATC or search and rescue.

1) Dems da rulze

2) ATC will attempt to contact you on guard when you blunder into a TFR that popped up after you got your briefing

In my little time in the air, I've heard 2 ELT's transmitting. Both times, ATC asked me to see if I was able to see anything or if the signal got louder as I got closer.

I normally monitor it, but sometimes I forget to put it in.

Also, I like when Southwest transmits over the frequency and gets yelled at.

Last edited:
Came up recently...

1) May save someone's life by being the first to report an ELT.

2) If not otherwise talking to anyone, a way to be immediately notified if a 9/11-style event closes down the entire national airspace system.

3) If you have an emergency, you're a transmit button away from emergency frequency without having to fumble*.

4) If you're VFR and have stumbled into a live-fire area, they can give you a head's up.

5) It enlightens you on how airline crews are human, too!

*I know some radios have a dedicated button or procedure to go right to 121.5, but its all too easy to forget that sort of thing in a real emergency.

Maybe, just maybe, you can help another pilot in distress or help locate a downed plane. I hope it doesn't happen, but...

Also, it will allow you to communicate with that pretty F-16 off your wing. I hope it doesn't happen, but...

En route, I normally keep 121.5 on comm2 and monitor. I keep the destination weather on standby. When close to the end of flight, I'll replace 121.5 with the ground frequency if it's a towered airport.

Monitoring 121.5 is required? When and where? Elaborate?

!FDC 4/4386 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE... NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I wonder how often it's actually followed. Enroute I will generally listen to the CTAF for the nearest airports along my route.

Thanks. Didn't know that. I wonder how often it's actually followed. Enroute I will generally listen to the CTAF for the nearest airports along my route.

:dunno:

How many pilots realize that the stadium TFRs are not included when you get a briefing?

Listening to CTAFs from an enroute altitude is an ear defining experience at best, at worst its like listening to channel 19 during the CB radio craze.

As others have noted, it's required listening when able. There's no real way to measure compliance on that directive, but if someone was looking for you on 121.5, and it's later determined you had the ability to monitor the frequency, there's a good chance you may receive a strongly worded letter (or worse).

Thats why: 'This Is the US air force. Aircraft 8 miles north of somethingtown travelling at 140kts on a 150 course, you have entered a restricted area.'

Many reasons. Some are self-serving, some are being a good member of the pilot community/paying it forward.

Self-serving:

1) Miss a call or ATC forget to call you? They'll try to get you on guard, or maybe someone else will for ATC. Has happened to me more than once.
2) Get a warning call that you busted a TFR or are about to. Hasn't happened to me

Paying it forward:

1) Someone, someday will lose a frequency and try to get ahold of someone, anyone, who might be able to help. You can be that person. I helped out an airliner a few weeks ago
2) Hear and report ELTs. Few are crashes, but some might be

Yeah, you get the negative aspects as well. Some ridiculous chatter from immature pilots. Most of what's on there doesn't apply to you. But one day it will, trust me, and you'll be glad you were listening when it does. The biggest one is missing a frequency. You could say "Well when I lose contact I'll monitor guard then." You'll probably forget, and you may not realize you've lost contact.

I monitor guard on every flight.

!FDC 4/4386 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE... NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE.
I would point out that the "4" at the front of that NOTAM number is for 2004, not 2014. This has been a legal requirement (FDC NOTAMs are in fact regulatory) for ten years now.

Because it's funny to hear people transmit on gaurd.

I wonder how often it's actually followed.
Just call "turning base" at your local nontowered airport on 121.5 instead of CTAF and you'll find out fast. :D

OTOH, I can't count the number of times I've heard call after call after call to someone approaching then busting security airspace like the DC SFRA without any response until after "White and red Piper N12345, this is the armed interceptor aircraft on your right..." :eek:

But on the third hand, when an airliner gets off freq, and I hear "JetBlue 123, this is JetBlue 456 on 121.5, Center is looking for you on 132.07," a response from the aircraft being called almost always happens quickly.

So, I'd have to say that compliance appears somewhat uneven, with it being more likely with professionally-flown aircraft.

Thats why: 'This Is the US air force. Aircraft 8 miles north of somethingtown travelling at 140kts on a 150 course, you have entered a restricted area.'

And even though you may be 100 miles away when you hear it, you still get a sick feeling...or at least I did. The Air Force guys did everything they could (which admittedly isn't much) to help a guy not violate a presidential TFR. If he had just been monitoring...

Being hard headed about 121.5 just isn't a good idea these days. Foreflight and similar EFB's that pick up TFR data are helpful but the radio is there and it works too. And besides all that it's a good excuse to update the audio panel if yours doesn't support monitoring a second comm.

Interesting that I had never heard of or read about monitoring it continuously until now. Instructors never even mentioned it.

I definitely will do so from now on....

So lots of comments about people (even prof pilots) providing comedy on that frequency.

Is that just meaning they mis-dialed the frequency or something or is it used for something else?

Not so far mentioned: The SARSAT system no longer monitors 121.5 for ELTs. This means that enroute aircraft are the only way an old (but legal) 121.5 ELT will be heard. As has been pointed out, most ELT signals are false alarms due to hard landings, mishandling, or whatever but that is for AFRCC to sort out. (http://www.1af.acc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=7497) If you hear a signal report it. Ideally note your position when you first pick it up and note and report again when you lose it.

Transport airplanes in the flight levels maintain a watch, but when they report to ATC what they are really saying is that there is an ELT signal somewhere in a several thousand square mile area. It is the lower altitude airplanes that are useful in getting the ELT area down to a searchable size.

Yes, this is also an argument for replacing your old ELT.

Also I think I am foggy on how it is used.

If I go on 121.5 and say this is 6PC to whom am I speaking?
Aside from other pilots monitoring, is there a corporate or government body that is listening?

I am going to start monitoring but I am curious about how it works.
I am starting to understand the benefits though.

Aside from other pilots monitoring, is there a corporate or government body that is listening?

If it's an emergency, it doesn't matter. Typically 121.5 may be monitored by ATC, FSS, USAF (around the DC area, anyway, along with USCG), commercial airliners, GA pilots, etc. Make a blind call, state your emergency and identification and location (so the appropriate people know to respond).

Number one rule, if you're already talking to ATC, don't leave the frequency to transmit your mayday on 121.5. Stick with the frequency you're on.

Monitoring 121.5 is a good idea though, because if you aren't on a dedicated, monitored frequency, 121.5 is already dialed in, so that's one less thing you have to do in an emergency.

Dems da rules. Simple as that. It just does happen to make some sense to do so though, for the reasons a number of posters have mentioned.

When I had a major engine sputter over central GA, my 121.5 broadcast was answered by Atlanta Center. They asked the nature of the emergency, souls on board and the like, then later asked me to switch to an Atlanta Approach freq.

Oh, and a handful of times I've put my destination freq in standby, forgetting to hit the active/standby button. "You're on guard" is very commonly heard for such mistakes, from students to professional crews.

Interesting that I had never heard of or read about monitoring it continuously until now. Instructors never even mentioned it.

I definitely will do so from now on....

Assuming you two have good memories, you both need to go punch your primary instructors square in the nose. What else did they leave out of your training?

:dunno:

Last edited:
Well 121.5 was taught as the emergency frequency.... But no one said to monitor it continuously. My Sportys online course didn't mention it and neither does the Jeppesen private pilot textbook.

And even though you may be 100 miles away when you hear it, you still get a sick feeling...or at least I did. The Air Force guys did everything they could (which admittedly isn't much) to help a guy not violate a presidential TFR. If he had just been monitoring...

Yeah, I know that sick feeling, you know that someone is heading for an automatic suspension if not worse. Just yesterday someone bumbled into the SFRA but had bumbled out of it before the F16s got to him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...344a2a-bdbe-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html

Without getting into a discussion about the silliness of it all, flying anywhere close to DC without com2 on 121.5 is not a good idea.

I have waited on board of a Delta flight in Minneapolis before while they worked to swap out a defective com radio (or a board related to it). It is apparently their policy not to dispatch a plane to DCA unless it has the capability to monitor 121.5 even if one of the radios fails (I understand they have 3, 2 for voice, one for data which can be repurposed for voice).

Being hard headed about 121.5 just isn't a good idea these days. Foreflight and similar EFB's that pick up TFR data are helpful but the radio is there and it works too. And besides all that it's a good excuse to update the audio panel if yours doesn't support monitoring a second comm.
Here is the breakdown of what I hear on guard :

80% American 1234, please contact Washington center on 123.45
28% 'You are on guard,screech guard, guard, screech, hey you are on guard, guard, uard, rd ....'
1% 'this is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard this mornings flight to Indianapolis. It should be a smooth ride.....'
1% ELTs, all of them known to ATC if you call them in.

Last edited:
1% 'this is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard this mornings flight to Indianapolis. It should be smooth ride.....'

Always my favorite. Ask him if he can fly extra fast 'cause we're running late!

Well 121.5 was taught as the emergency frequency.... But no one said to monitor it continuously. My Sportys online course didn't mention it and neither does the Jeppesen private pilot textbook.

But it's a NOTAM in your briefings. Just like the stadium TFR.

Surely you've read a flight briefing?

Oh, and a handful of times I've put my destination freq in standby, forgetting to hit the active/standby button. "You're on guard" is very commonly heard for such mistakes, from students to professional crews.

I did that a couple times and came up with the procedure to use com 2 for ATIS/AWOS/ASOS & 121.5 - never to be transmitted upon. So far it's worked. I know other folks use com 2 for ground and CD but I haven't found that to be necessary.

Well, through the magic of the internet tubes, now you know better. Go forth and sin no more.

Back