Why do yokes have dual handgrips?

Two wings? What about a monoplane? Does a monoplane have two wings, or would that make it a biplane? Or is a biplane really a quadplane by your reasoning?

I thought we were talking about anatomy here (dual handgrips). Think of a bird in flight. It has two wings. If one of its wings is broken, it can't fly.

Last edited:
Pedantically, it's "because not all pilots are right handed."

Your statement reads literally that no pilot is right handed.

So sez a right handed person who IS a pilot.
By "pedantically," you seem to mean, "according to the normal rules of logic and English grammar." Writing things backwards and expecting to be understood seems to be a trait of the internet generation.

Had a problem with a trim cable that jammed in the full down position. Landing was hard enough pulling back with both hands.

One is to hold the magazine.

cfa179f309ec93cdb69aad22bff95e38.jpg

Now what? ;)

A guy who had just landed his 182 parked at our FBO and walked into our office, ashen-faced ... with half of the yoke still in his hand. It had broken clean in half during the flare. :eek:

A guy who had just landed his 182 parked at our FBO and walked into our office, ashen-faced ... with half of the yoke still in his hand. It had broken clean in half during the flare. :eek:

LOL.

He won the “I don’t trim for landing” award? :)

New meaning to the term “death grip”? :)

“You always wanted to fly a stick!” ;)

“And that’s how I got the callsign, Dildo...”

:) :) :)

Stan gave the answer I expected you to, only he didn't specifically mention the two things I thought you would.

:) Well how about that! I must have been tired to miss that! Flying too much does that to ya lol.

"My, my yoke, it broke in half...."

" You're kidding!"

image.gif

I suspect it's because people can use either hand to scratch their nose. Either hand can grab the yoke. Simple guys.
Is that in the landing checklist? "Trim first, then scratch".

There's an SAIB on the Cessna plastic control wheels (SAIB CE-01-41R2). They break off in your hand.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...6239bb0d8625736700648cc3/$FILE/CE-01-41R2.pdf
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...6239bb0d8625736700648cc3/$FILE/CE-01-41R2.pdf
When I upgraded my panel, I installed the Avion Research Aluminum control wheels.

PanelBeforeandAftermed.jpg

Yep, this was an early '60s 182 with one of the plastic wheels, and this happened many years ago, before the SAIB.
Cessna issued Service Letter 64-8 (referred to in the SAIB) with inspection procedures on February 14, 1964. There are still hundreds, if not thousands, of older Cessnas still flying with these plastic control wheels.

Here's the SL 64-8 Pull Test:
SL%2064-8%20Plastic%20Control%20Wheel%20Pull%20Test_zpsli2cmohs.jpg

Cessna issued Service Letter 64-8 (referred to in the SAIB) with inspection procedures on February 14, 1964. There are still hundreds, if not thousands, of older Cessnas still flying with these plastic control wheels.

Here's the SL 64-8 Pull Test:
SL%2064-8%20Plastic%20Control%20Wheel%20Pull%20Test_zpsli2cmohs.jpg
131 foot pounds with a 10.5” fulcrum? Dayum. I must be too weak to be a real pilot.

I think the intent of that is to make sure they are all destroyed and replaced.

Back