Why do solo pilots say "we"

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Do you say "We" when you fly solo?
I used to find it odd but I have caught myself doing it and then I cringe a little.

"We need flight following" or "We are in bound"

Yup, we. Me and my plane :dunno:

I like to acknowledge my multiple personalities so they don't feel left out. Doc says it is healthier.

Funny, I started a thread on the Red board a few years ago about the same thing. I think because everyone else on the radio says "we", we say it too, even if it's just me, myself, and I. Nowadays I fly a lot of PnP flights, so "we" could include a bunch of mutts in the back, too.

Probably because ATC addresses the aircraft (not the pilot), they don't say your name, they say your airplanes name. When you reply you tend to think of yourself as being part of the equation so "we" is used. Sounds right to me.

I consider my Flybaby it's own entity as well. It's my job to keep it flying and to make sure it never rots inside an old hangar or barn somewhere until the next poor sap comes along that wants to buy it and I trust will do the same.

I don't say "we" when solo.

Here's why:

The royal "we", or majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis in Latin, literally, "the plural of majesty"), is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, or pope. The more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism. However the use as majestic plural (to denote the excellence, power, and dignity of the person who speaks or writes) is the most common one.

Here's why:

The royal "we", or majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis in Latin, literally, "the plural of majesty"), is the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a single person holding a high office, such as a monarch, bishop, or pope. The more general word for the use of we to refer to oneself is nosism. However the use as majestic plural (to denote the excellence, power, and dignity of the person who speaks or writes) is the most common one.

Also known as "The Editorial We".

My mom used to respond to that usage by asking, "Is there a mouse in your pocket?"

"We are not amused" :D ok, that's a lie ... "We are EASILY amused!"

I usually address myself, with or without pax, as "3SA." e.g. "123SA is inbound with Kilo" or "3SA has the traffic in sight." I don't have a problem with "we" but I don't use it much.

Do you say "We" when you fly solo?
I used to find it odd but I have caught myself doing it and then I cringe a little.

"We need flight following" or "We are in bound"

Yup, we. Me and my plane :dunno:

Well, consider the alternative: '666XrayWhiskey' needs flight following.

They might think you are talking about someone else flying with Satan in the plane. It's like speaking in 3rd person.

My airplane is old enough to be treated like a person!

My airplane is almost as old as my parents and would be eligible for social security and medicare... Sometimes I think that darn airplane corrects my bad landings. (Well duh, it's a Bonanza). I fly, we land ...

I totally do it too.....probably every time (particularly if I am declaring in intl airspace with an exploded motor or something). I guess it just makes me feel like I'm not alone, even though I actually am :)

You know what it is?
I am at controlled fields way more now so I switched from call-sign at the front to call-sign at the end.

At uncontrolled fields I always start with who I am but I notice at controlled fields people terminate with their call-sign.

A typical chat is now:
"Denton Tower, 6PC, 5,500"
"6PC go ahead"
"We're 8 miles west, inbound, full stop. 6PC"

[glances at the empty right seat and thinks to self "whats with this 'we' siht?"]

I always refer to myself as "it"

Example: after a shower, it puts the location on it's skin
-_0

I will usually omit a pronoun if it makes sense:

Tower: N123AB, traffic at 11 o'clock and 4 miles.
Me: Looking for the traffic, N123AB.

In other cases I will use "we":

Tower: Verify you have information Delta.
Me: We have Delta 123AB

Hmmmm, well there's this old book written by some obscure guy. Name of the book is "We"...............

Just sayin':wink2:

Here's why:

I don't use "we." I'll just say something like, "Cessna 12345 has the traffic in sight" or Cessna 12345 has information delta." No need to put "we" in it.

For me, it's because everyone else is doing it.

No, really. The Big Guys seem to use we. So, I feel like saying "I" is somehow less professional. It doesn't matter, though. I need a pronoun for some stuff, since it's awkward to use your tail number for everything and still terminate the transmission with it.

Somehow I doubt the towers guys are going "yeah, right. we. He has no friends. He's alone, always has been. Poser."

Back