Why do CFI's Discourage Sport Pilot

Sport Pilot Certificate.....Is for those who want to fly as a SPORT or the fun of it. Why we burn circles in the sky.

The ones who get this ticket to travel want to get a ticket to travel at less of a cost to a PP certificate. They fully intend to travel and not fly just for the Sport or Fun of it.

Sport Pilot is for those who like the Sport of flying. Like the title says. SPORT Pilot. Simple. Its those who want to stretch this certificate into a PPL that use it for travel.

Just me but they should have put a limit on how far one can travel using the Sport Pilot certificate. When does the Sport fall out of Sport Pilot when one is traveling instead of burning holes in the sky.

Tony

More nonsense. :rolleyes2:

So sport pilots should not be allowed to travel cross country? :mad2:

Seriously, sometimes when I read posts like this I am ashamed to be a pilot.

Sport Pilot Certificate.....Is for those who want to fly as a SPORT or the fun of it. Why we burn circles in the sky.

The ones who get this ticket to travel want to get a ticket to travel at less of a cost to a PP certificate. They fully intend to travel and not fly just for the Sport or Fun of it.

Sport Pilot is for those who like the Sport of flying. Like the title says. SPORT Pilot. Simple. Its those who want to stretch this certificate into a PPL that use it for travel.

Just me but they should have put a limit on how far one can travel using the Sport Pilot certificate. When does the Sport fall out of Sport Pilot when one is traveling instead of burning holes in the sky.

Tony

Sport pilot is for folks who can't get a medical.

Sport pilot is for folks who can't get a medical.

Which is why if the class 3 changes get approved, sport pilot will at best be marginalized, and at worse eliminated. Those that already have it will exist in some sort of grandfathered limbo state.

Which is why if the class 3 changes get approved, sport pilot will at best be marginalized, and at worse eliminated. Those that already have it will exist in some sort of grandfathered limbo state.

Not for the powered parachute and weight shift crowd. It ain't all boring azz fixed wings in the sky.

Not for the powered parachute and weight shift crowd. It ain't all boring azz fixed wings in the sky.

We also have rec pilot, which would accommodate a lot of those people. With class 3 medical gone, having the three essentially personal use certificates is boarderline repetitive. I could see Sport and Rec getting combined, and one rating getting essentially eliminated.

They'd have to rewrite the PTS and change all sorts of stuff to cram those categories into rec. Plus the newly built stuff wouldn't have a category. They could keep weightshift/pp as aircraft category but require a rec weightshift/pp certificate. Don't see it happening.

More nonsense. :rolleyes2:

So sport pilots should not be allowed to travel cross country? :mad2:

Seriously, sometimes when I read posts like this I am ashamed to be a pilot.

I agree because of the snobs.

A snob is a person who believes a correspondence between status and human worth.[1] The term also refers to a person who believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, power, physical strength, class, taste, beauty, nationality, fame, extreme success of a family member or friend, etc.[citation needed] Often this form of snobbery reflects the snob's personal attributes.[citation needed] For example, a common snobbery of the affluent is the belief that wealth is either the cause or result of superiority, or both.[citation needed] Both definitions are used as a pejorative.

Sport Pilot was written for a coupe of reasons. One was for the small little tiny airplanes we use to call ultralight's. These are go nowhere type of airplanes.

The second reason was to sell airplanes. If this was not the reason they would have included the 120's and 150's in the LSA group that could be flown by a SP. No the FAA wants those wanting to travel using the SP certificate to purchase a shiny new airplane.

If the Sport Pilot certificate limited the travel of those holding this certificate, just how could anyone sell a new airplane.

Now if the third class medical goes away who will go after the SP? SP will go the way recreational pilot went. Its on the books but no one goes that route, why? CFI's push PP anyway and some milk training into the time it takes for PP anyway.

I know no CFI milk's there students and all politicians tell the truth.

Tony

Not to be a smartass, but you should probably not pursue flying.
???? Why would you think that? Because of the medical?

Any med issues I have are well controlled, and I'm sure that with enough money, I could get whatever SI's I need, but I'd rather spend that money on more training.

You see, I am part of a private community airstrip and soon ownership of a single place LSA, So at this time, SP is the most appropriate rating for me.

If I was to gain ownership to 172, perhaps I would think differently

Once I get that ticket, I will be going for further endorsements. Tail wheel, controlled air space etc.

If all I am doing is flying sport out of a non towered airstrip, I should go PPL just to satisfy someone like you?

Honestly, even without the medical factor, I just don't see that I will need PPL for what I intend to do.

If I decide I do, I'll look into it then.

Last edited:
Why would you say something like this? Based on what?

I got the impression that he thinks I'm just looking to skate in easy, cheap and dangerous.

While I do believe I will be flying sooner and after less money than if I went the PPL route, getting started cheaper doesn't mean I care if it ends up cheaper in the long run, because I intend to continue flight training long after I get an SP ticket

With or without the medical cert, Sport pilot is tailor made for me and my situation.

Not to be a smartass, but you should probably not pursue flying.

Not to be a smartass, but there's nothing in his post that says to me he shouldn't pursue flying.

If not wanting to deal with ATC was a dis-qualifier you'd eliminate pretty much every old dude out there putting around in his Cub.

Last edited:

There will always be people who are intrigued by getting a certificate in 30 hours vs. 60 hours.

And there will always be people who want to burn 4GPH in a sporty looking new plane instead of having utility they'll never use.

Yeah, guys like us would rather have a 40 year old Bonanza, but that's not everyone. There are a crap ton of people who are perfectly happy with a Cub and have been since they day they decided to start flying.

Not to be a smartass, but there's nothing in his post that says to me he shouldn't pursue flying.

If not wanting to deal with ATC was a dis-qualifier you'd eliminate pretty much every old dude out there putting around in his Cub.

It's more like wanting to get the most bang for the buck, concentrate on stick and rudder and really get the most out of my training dollars without waiting around for clearance etc while the meter is running.

I can get a lot of hours in from our airstrip before I ever need to deal with ATC and I can pursue that endorsement later and I do want to.

I got the impression that he thinks I'm just looking to skate in easy, cheap and dangerous.

While I do believe I will be flying sooner and after less money than if I went the PPL route, getting started cheaper doesn't mean I care if it ends up cheaper in the long run, because I intend to continue flight training long after I get an SP ticket

With or without the medical cert, Sport pilot is tailor made for me and my situation.

SP may be perfect for you, maybe not, if you use a regular CFI when you start sport training you can change your mind on the fly, and not lose any hours.

Regarding new prospective pilots, you don't know what you don't know till you know it. Experienced pilots should be more forgiving of your perspective. Why discourage people, I don't get it.

It's more like wanting to get the most bang for the buck, concentrate on stick and rudder and really get the most out of my training dollars without waiting around for clearance etc while the meter is running.

I can get a lot of hours in from our airstrip before I ever need to deal with ATC and I can pursue that endorsement later and I do want to.

You can get your PPL at a non-towered field. You know that right?

???? Why would you think that? Because of the medical?

Honestly, even without the medical factor, I just don't see that I will need PPL for what I intend to do.

And again you're back to the medical. So, if there is "a medical factor" you know what to do, and if there is not, you know what to do.

My only question at this point is "what's your question?"

I guess if your original thesis was that CFIs push PPL on people to charge more, the answer is no. The ones who want to milk you don't care what rating you're after, so long as you're giving milk.

You'll likely spend the same amount on training. The written exams are VERY similar. Aircraft and CFI availability for PPL is greater.

Why not PPL and if you never fly anything that requires it let your Third Class lapse and fly LSA until you change your mind? Then it's an hour at the doctors office to be able to fly your Bonanza? (PoA joke on the Bo)

Tony

I disagree with the limit on distance for sport pilots. This form of limitation exists for the recreational pilot ticket already and should stay there. The sport pilot rating in and of itself does not allow for flight into B, C, or D airspace without additional training and endorsement from an instructor, which I found to be a great system allowing somebody to achieve this rating without that training and then receive additional training in order to travel further.

There will always be people who are intrigued by getting a certificate in 30 hours vs. 60 hours.

And there will always be people who want to burn 4GPH in a sporty looking new plane instead of having utility they'll never use.

Yeah, guys like us would rather have a 40 year old Bonanza, but that's not everyone. There are a crap ton of people who are perfectly happy with a Cub and have been since they day they decided to start flying.

Yes, there are tons of people who want to fly a sporty new plane.

I disagree with this 100%. About 75% of the students at our flight school are pursuing sport pilot ratings and as far as I'm aware none of them have disqualifying medical issues. In fact, the majority of them are younger (20s to 40s)

Last edited:
#4. I believe it is a gross understatement to say that it would only take about 6 hours extra of training for PPL vs SPL. I've calculated the following dual hours to upgrade from SPL to PPL:

I think when people throw around that 6 hour number, they're thinking more along the lines of SP requires 6 less hours than required for PP. Not quite the same as 6 more from SP to PP. For example, if the average is 60, they're saying SP average is 54. I wonder what the average really is.

It takes what it takes, but that is part of the allure of SP I think, the chance of completing it in less hours. For people arguing the safety aspect, the DPE should't be issuing certs to anyone they feel isn't safely able to perform.

After some training under my belt, I don't know why people fixate so much on the hours anyway. You want to fly, you're flying when you're training. You're end goal is part of the process. You'll still have to pay for it after you're done, every time you go. (unless its your job eventually).

I think when people throw around that 6 hour number, they're thinking more along the lines of SP requires 6 less hours than required for PP. Not quite the same as 6 more from SP to PP. For example, if the average is 60, they're saying SP average is 54. I wonder what the average really is.

It takes what it takes, but that is part of the allure of SP I think, the chance of completing it in less hours. For people arguing the safety aspect, the DPE should't be issuing certs to anyone they feel isn't safely able to perform.

After some training under my belt, I don't know why people fixate so much on the hours anyway. You want to fly, you're flying when you're training. You're end goal is part of the process. You'll still have to pay for it after you're done, every time you go. (unless its your job eventually).

Average at our school is around 35 hours for sport pilot and 65 hours for private pilot. And I agree that the training is actually a great part of the journey, but pilots are such a goal oriented group of folks that we are always fixated on that shiny certificate.

The requirements are 20 hours vs. 40 hours. Not sure what you are saying.

I agree. Some people here get their panties in a bunch deriding anyone who would even suggest they get their ticket in under 60 hours or take less training to get a SPL.

We already have barriers of protection for that. They are called CFIs and DPEs.

My opinion is, go as fast as you can, as efficiently as you can. You are more likely to finish and keep flying that way. Let the people who are paid to make sure you are safe do their job. If you aren't ready, they'll tell you.

I flew often, streamlined my lessons, and got my PPL in 43 hours. And I was no more unsafe then a guy who got it in 65 hours.

Honestly, what's the difference between a 30 hour SPL pilot and a 15 hour solo PPL student burning holes in the sky? Yet, you'd think the SPL allows untrained monkeys to fly.

Some just don't enjoy training as much as the $100 hamburger and they'd rather spend their money on the latter. I can respect that assuming a DPE has signed them off as safe.

And I'd like to go on record that I'll be the first to admit that the sport pilot rules are convoluted and that they read like none of the other FARs (they're almost written in the form a conversation, which I find unusual). I believe that this in itself has scared a lot of CFI-As from even taking a peak at the regulations which has fueled all of this misinformation about distance limitations and other nonsense.

I personally know a handful of Sport Pilots who have safely made multiple cross country trips with the SP certificate.

As a pilot community, we need to start embracing change. This business is struggling and right now I think it is fair to say that the Light Sport rules have done a fine job of creating a competitive field of new manufacturers and new aircraft that will attract a younger generation of pilots. People do not want to fly in beat up Cessna 152s and Piper Warriors once they get their certificates; but they also don't want to pay $250/hr to rent a shiny Cirrus. This has led many PP folks into the LSA world. The LSA market has priced itself higher than most of us expected, but the reality is that most brand new S-LSA aircraft are still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a comparable new standard category aircraft.

You can get your PPL at a non-towered field. You know that right?

I did all of my PPL training non towered(except for the required controlled landing, etc.). In one hour we could get around the pattern 8 times on a good day doing touch and goes.

If I did the calculations my PPL cost me between $9000 and $10000. Given the shorter hours, cheaper plane, and lower requirements SP may have taken me around $3000 less. On the other hand, if I had gone SP and then wanted to upgrade because the planes available did not fit my mission, what would the added costs be?

I do not deny that SP is generally faster to acquire and cheaper, and if it fits your mission great. Do it and have fun flying. For the $3000 the added privileges and flexibility in what I am allowed to fly was worth it to me.

I did all of my PPL training non towered(except for the required controlled landing, etc.). In one hour we could get around the pattern 8 times on a good day doing touch and goes.

If I did the calculations my PPL cost me between $9000 and $10000. Given the shorter hours, cheaper plane, and lower requirements SP may have taken me around $3000 less. On the other hand, if I had gone SP and then wanted to upgrade because the planes available did not fit my mission, what would the added costs be?

I do not deny that SP is generally faster to acquire and cheaper, and if it fits your mission great. Do it and have fun flying. For the $3000 the added privileges and flexibility in what I am allowed to fly was worth it to me.

You put it perfectly here; it's all about what fits your mission!

And again you're back to the medical. So, if there is "a medical factor" you know what to do, and if there is not, you know what to do.

My only question at this point is "what's your question?"

I guess if your original thesis was that CFIs push PPL on people to charge more, the answer is no. The ones who want to milk you don't care what rating you're after, so long as you're giving milk.

You'll likely spend the same amount on training. The written exams are VERY similar. Aircraft and CFI availability for PPL is greater.

Why not PPL and if you never fly anything that requires it let your Third Class lapse and fly LSA until you change your mind? Then it's an hour at the doctors office to be able to fly your Bonanza? (PoA joke on the Bo)

I'm not the OP and so the whole milking customers thing isn't what I am commenting on but for me, I will have a single place LSA, and a private airstrip. If I get a sport pilot license I can be flying it sooner and less expensively and still continue getting more training when I want to, so why would I pay more for what I am not likely to need and can get at my leisure later anyway, not to mention take a chance on having to pay out of pocket for all sorts of special med tests and hassles to get medical certificate that I'm not guaranteed of getting?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

GA airports closing down for lack of interest yet some are resisting things that give aviation a shot in the arm in and could bring both new and experienced pilots back because they don't want people to have it easier than they did?

Not too smart, if you ask me.

Last edited:

That's cool. If I do want to upgrade at least I can stretch those costs out and still be flying in the meantime.

Sport Pilot is perfect for me to start with. If I got to write exactly what I thought was most appropriate for my situation, it would be that.

The requirements are 20 hours vs. 40 hours. Not sure what you are saying.

Yea, I was just responding to something earlier in the thread, a guy was trying to account for the 6 hour difference, going from SP to PP. I'm not sure where the 6 hours came from, but i've seen it tossed around the forum. From what vdehart is saying, his real world numbers are more like +30hours between SP and PP. Not talking required hours just average hours to complete one vs. the other. PP taking 30 hours more than SP seems excessive to me, I wasn't aware there was that much more to master from one to the other, but I don't have experience completing either.

Also interesting that he is seeing average of 35 hours for SP. Perhaps someone was just looking at that average and concluding, well, 5 more hours and you'd have PP minimum hours. Who knows.

Yea, I was just responding to something earlier in the thread, a guy was trying to account for the 6 hour difference, going from SP to PP. I'm not sure where the 6 hours came from, but i've seen it tossed around the forum. From what vdehart is saying, his real world numbers are more like +30hours between SP and PP. Not talking required hours just average hours to complete one vs. the other. PP taking 30 hours more than SP seems excessive to me, I wasn't aware there was that much more to master from one to the other, but I don't have experience completing either.

Also interesting that he is seeing average of 35 hours for SP. Perhaps someone was just looking at that average and concluding, well, 5 more hours and you'd have PP minimum hours. Who knows.

You could probably fly the plane safely after 20 hours in your training right? Or at least it's pretty normal for people to solo around then.

After that it's more solo, XCs, night flying, hood time, towered fields, etc for PPL students. With the SPL, you don't have to do most of that. And to burn holes in the sky or do day VFR XC trips in Class E, I think that's ok.

Night flying alone is probably an extra 5-6 hours. A trip to a towered airport (if you fly out of an uncontrolled like many) is another 2 hours. 4-5 hours under the hood. So on and so forth. The PPL hours add up.

You could probably fly the plane safely after 20 hours in your training right? Or at least it's pretty normal for people to solo around then.

After that it's more solo, XCs, night flying, hood time, towered fields, etc for PPL students.

Exactly. After I get my SP, I'll be able to OD on solo and VFR class E XC for pennies on the wet rental dollars I have to pay now.

Not interested in night and can get towered endorsement later.

My total time for PPL was 65 hours, from what I have heard this is very standard. I should have been about 5 to 8 hours less, but I hit almost ready for check rid in December and the winter was a pain. I ended up flying once every 2 to 3 weeks, which was just enough to not get rusty but not enough to get polished for the big day.

In Australia alot of people are pursuing the equivalent of a sport pilot license rather than a ppl because of the cost of running ga certified aircraft is way too expensive. I have heard of horror stories about 10k annuals etcs.

For instance some schools at busy airports charge $300 for dual instruction in a stock standard warrior.

Personally I chose a 'sport pilot' known as a recreational pilot certificate because I could not afford between 15-20k to get it and therefore any type of license that allows you to get up in the air is better than none.

I guess it depends on a number of factors:

- your mission (what you want to do in an aircraft)
- funds availability
-medical
-controlled airspace in your area or areas where you want to fly
- time available

If you have funds, time and medical then all is good and not much thinking required as to choosing a license. If you don't have one of these then it might push you down a particular path.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

And I'd like to go on record that I'll be the first to admit that the sport pilot rules are convoluted and that they read like none of the other FARs (they're almost written in the form a conversation, which I find unusual). I believe that this in itself has scared a lot of CFI-As from even taking a peak at the regulations which has fueled all of this misinformation about distance limitations and other nonsense.

I personally know a handful of Sport Pilots who have safely made multiple cross country trips with the SP certificate.

As a pilot community, we need to start embracing change. This business is struggling and right now I think it is fair to say that the Light Sport rules have done a fine job of creating a competitive field of new manufacturers and new aircraft that will attract a younger generation of pilots. People do not want to fly in beat up Cessna 152s and Piper Warriors once they get their certificates; but they also don't want to pay $250/hr to rent a shiny Cirrus. This has led many PP folks into the LSA world. The LSA market has priced itself higher than most of us expected, but the reality is that most brand new S-LSA aircraft are still SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a comparable new standard category aircraft.

Heck, I personally know a SP who has flown to all 50 states! (Admittedly, he needed to ship the plane to Hawaii, I don't recall if he was able to fly to Alaska or it needed to be shipped due to Canadian regulations). Google Flight for the Human Spirit.

Edit: here's his site: http://flighths.com
And it looks like he flew to AK.

Last edited:
Night flying alone is probably an extra 5-6 hours. A trip to a towered airport (if you fly out of an uncontrolled like many) is another 2 hours. 4-5 hours under the hood. So on and so forth. The PPL hours add up.

Extra 5-6 hours of night? Where did that come from? I had exactly 3 hours of night in the log when I took my PP ride. And that was all one flight. Took care of all the night flying requirements in a single evening.

Now, hood time will vary depending on the student and instructor.

I fly out of a towered airport, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I'm still trying to understand what is so terrifying about a towered airport. Maybe it's because we have such great folks in the tower at KOLM. Although I suspect they are still laughing about the first time I tried talking on the radio while flying - 15 years ago. :D And my CFI and I were both Extra class amateur radio operators. It wasn't like I'd never talked on a radio before. :D:D

I got my SP first at KAPA, so it was a busy towered airport. I then flew about 300 hours and got my PP. I did a similar thing with the night time requirements knocking those out and the flight by ref to instruments as well as some air time doing some maneuvers to touch up. It was really not a huge leap from one to the other. I actually found getting my tailwheel endorsement a lot more of a challenge, and a lot of fun. Just for the sake of discussion, I have flow long cross countries, from Colorado to Sebring Florida, into Leadville, CO (the highest paved airport in North America), into Oshkosh a couple times, all as a sport pilot. There are not really a ton of limitations if you don't really care about flying IFR or at night and with only one more person. I own a LSA, but usually fly with the right seat empty.

Carl

Extra 5-6 hours of night? Where did that come from? I had exactly 3 hours of night in the log when I took my PP ride. And that was all one flight. Took care of all the night flying requirements in a single evening.

Now, hood time will vary depending on the student and instructor.

I fly out of a towered airport, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I'm still trying to understand what is so terrifying about a towered airport. Maybe it's because we have such great folks in the tower at KOLM. Although I suspect they are still laughing about the first time I tried talking on the radio while flying - 15 years ago. :D And my CFI and I were both Extra class amateur radio operators. It wasn't like I'd never talked on a radio before. :D:D

You did 10 takeoffs and landings and a night XC in 3 hours?

You are quick.

I think my night flying was 4.2 hours when I was done. We did most of the takeoffs and landings one lesson and a then went to Ocean City and back for the XC.

Yes there is, he's cheap and wants to cut corners. Not good traits for a pilot. Also, going for SPL when a class III isn't an issue shows poor judgment and poor decision making skills. sport pilot is for people who can't get a medical, it's not a shortcut.

Last edited:
Also, going for SPL when a class III isn't an issue shows poor judgment and poor decision making skills. sport pilot is for people who can't get a medical, it's not a shortcut.

Seriously? Poor Judgement and Poor Decision Making Skills? YGTBFKM

Seriously? Poor Judgement and Poor Decision Making Skills? YGTBFKM

On what planet does SPL make any sense ignoring the class III medical?

SP was a complete disservice to GA. I know a few folks got a little instant gratification but the baby was thrown out with the bath water. There is zero demand for LSAs if the class III goes away

The local flying that the SP allows is very limited for anyone that wants to use the plane for travel, and I bet that is the reason many people got there PPL in the first place. They actually want to go somewhere, not just burn circles in the sky.

There are no distance limitations on Sport Pilots - You're confusing it with the Recreational pilot certificate, which does have a limitation. You can fly coast to coast as a sport pilot.

Back