Why didn't I think of this before?

Now you've done it. Someone is going to do barrel rolls on the approach and then blame you for suggesting them ;)
I've seen Sean Tucker and Skip Stewart do some, er, interesting things on the approach, but never a barrel roll.

I'd pay good money to see someone do it, but it probably wouldn't be enough to reimburse them for their lost flight privileges... lol

Gravity operated mercury switch to auto switch the LEDs as you roll...

Go all in man!
Cool idea, but it would be forever switching under G-load.

We somehow need to slave the lights to the AHRS... lol

Last edited:
Why, yes, yes I can. :)

Done properly, ala Bob Hoover, I can leave my cellphone setting on my knee throughout the roll, maintaining ~1G all the way around.

If you weren't looking out the windscreen, you might not know the plane was rolling.

I think that would be an AWESOME way to fly up the railroad tracks to Oshkosh, meself.

I wonder what the boys on the FAA trailer would do? lol

:facepalm:

Can Zoom Climbs be programmed into the autopilot for the departure from OSH?

Wouldn't work in a positive g roll

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

To this day, after flying the Fisk approach many times, both as a passenger and as a PIC, I've never spotted the ATC trailer. Not even once.

Surely I would see them whilst inverted, with our bubble canopy?
how do you miss all the balloons ?

How many times have they sent you down FISK avenue Jay?

What determines who goes where? They were landing on 18 and 27 simultaneous sometimes when I was there.

How many times have they sent you down FISK avenue Jay?

What determines who goes where? They were landing on 18 and 27 simultaneous sometimes when I was there.
Luck.

If its slow you can break radio silence and ask for one or the other runway, if they are sending you the wrong way, and they will usually accommodate you.

It's well off the railroad tracks to the left. Years ago they actually put things out there to make it stand out. One time it was a big weather balloon tied to the ground. My favorite is they used to have 4 sequential flashers stuck right next to each other right by the trailer.

Of course I had the distinct advantage of actually having been in both the control tower and at the Fisk "Tracon" during the show the year before I attempted to fly it myself the first time.

It's well off the railroad tracks to the left.

I distinctly remember one year it was off to the starboard across Ripon Road about two hundred meters right next to a dairy barn in a large dirt circle in the middle of a green pasture. Impossible to miss. Maybe they moved it back to the little hill to the left.

Jim

There is a little method to the madness. EXP, vintage usually get 18 because they will be parking along the west side of 18. Vintage/antique parks over there too. The rest of the proletariat get 27 and are relegated to the north 40. It's not always that way, but the guys down there at FISK do their best.

I distinctly remember one year it was off to the starboard across Ripon Road about two hundred meters right next to a dairy barn in a large dirt circle in the middle of a green pasture. Impossible to miss. Maybe they moved it back to the little hill to the left.

Jim
I always seem to be too busy at that point to be looking at the ground, for some reason.

Oh, well. Some day I will schlep my way out to that trailer and have a look-see for myself. We usually have access to several cars and trucks during the week.

Now that we are glowing in happy thoughts about oshkosh atc I gotta ask are the feds still charging for ATC services?

Don't I know it! I flew the whole approach in '99 at 70 knots, with a notch of flaps in the Warrior, stuck behind a Champ.

One year ('05?) Mary got stuck behind a guy in a Debonair who did a remarkable job of holding 80 knots throughout the approach while not following a single ATC instruction correctly. Unfortunately, Mary was told to "follow the Bonanza", which meant she was stuck going the wrong way, too.

Then, there was the year... but you get the idea. The FISK approach is always fun, and definitely not something you should do on autopilot.

Now I feel guilty flying 70 knots in my Kitfox 3 with all you guys stuck behind me at Fisk.

Pete
Leander, TX

Now I feel guilty flying 70 knots in my Kitfox 3 with all you guys stuck behind me at Fisk.

Pete
Leander, TX

80 knots is about the best I can do with my engine at redline. Although, interestingly enough, the last two years I've flown the Flybaby there I had to slow down because the traffic in front of me was running less than 80.

Back