why did you have kids?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Seriously why did you have kids?

I don't have any and never wanted to be a parent. Sucked at babysitting. I watch america funny videos and all those baby things are disgusting! I don't think booger bubbles is funny, baby saying they are popping makes me gag, can't even imagine changing diapers. So its good I don't have kids. Yep I think some are cute but the world is tougher then it was in the 70s. Between the job market and schooling costs. For those that say "I want someone to take care of me in my elder years I'd like to introduce you to a couple who is raising a baby they adopted from a crack head... Who may never now walk.
So why did you have kids.
Flame suit is on.

Because (at least for a little while longer) People are Free to make their own decisions.

Nothing else need be said.

Kids are WAY more expensive then planes...... So... No kids for me...:no::no::nonod:

And I love my plane....:yes:

We never ever wanted kids, then (after 11 years of marriage) decided, "Maybe if it's meant to be..." and stopped trying not to, and then, after concluding, "Okay, not in the cards...," wifie turned up preggers, and Ba Da Boom, Ba Da Bing, Tomster showed up.

No rational explanation for why you want 'em, or for why you don't just kill 'em as soon as they turn 14 or so, but I love the boy and that's just that.

I don't have any and never wanted to be a parent. Sucked at babysitting. I watch america funny videos and all those baby things are disgusting! I don't think booger bubbles is funny, baby saying they are popping makes me gag, can't even imagine changing diapers. So its good I don't have kids. Yep I think some are cute but the world is tougher then it was in the 70s. Between the job market and schooling costs. For those that say "I want someone to take care of me in my elder years I'd like to introduce you to a couple who is raising a baby they adopted from a crack head... Who may never now walk.
Flame suit is on.

So I don't have to mow the lawn or shovel the snow!

People want kids because they have an inherent desire to propagate the species. Species that didn't have this urge didn't last very long.

So I'll have someone to change my drool cup when I get older.

Yep I think some are cute but the world is tougher then it was in the 70s. Between the job market and schooling costs.

It is not. You must have missed the recessions of the 70s, the threat of mutually assured destruction, palestinian terrorists and the oil crisis.

I like my kids. Way more fun than they are trouble.

Good luck getting a kid nowadays to quit playing video games and actually go out and work..:mad2::mad2::redface:

Shock collars work on kids just as well as they work on dogs.

I really, really like having sex with my wife.

Who knew?

Shock collars work on kids just as well as they work on dogs.

I used to think things like that... I was never as good a parent as I was before I had a kid! :wink2:

I am in the same boat as the OP. No kids, they seem gross, my plane is better off because of it. However, I do see it happening some day. I figure it will be a "honey, we need to talk" kinda thing. I figure that once I have one, I will like them.

Never had any. Never wanted any. And the money I saved from not having kids should support me better and more reliably when I get older than I could expect from kids. Plus all the reasons you stated. Perhaps I am selfish and greedy, but I don't think bringing kids into this world is fair. It's not like we are going to run out of people any time soon.

Fortunately there are enough people that choose to have kids to ensure a lasting supply.

Flame suit is on.

Not sure I ever wanted kids... Now that I have em, I can't imagine a life without them.

I am in the same boat as the OP. No kids, they seem gross, my plane is better off because of it. However, I do see it happening some day. I figure it will be a "honey, we need to talk" kinda thing. I figure that once I have one, I will like them.

And if you don't like them, you cannot just shove it back where it came from... That would be considered sexual assatult in most states...:D:D:D:redface:

I love taking my 8 grand kids flying! 4 of them are old enough, and 2 had actually flown the plane. The two oldest can't get enough.

Why did I have kids? Because that is the circle of life, and I love kids. I love babies, I love teaching kids and raising them right. I wanted kids at 16, but the Navy got in the way! Had my first daughter at 21.

I have 3 very successful adult daughters (mid 30's), and 3 very cool, and successful son in laws.

Raise them right and spend time with them and you might get lucky like I did. All 13 of us went to Florida a week ago for a family reunion. Would not trade that time for anything... not even a P-51 Mustang! ;)

Last edited:
Not sure I ever wanted kids... Now that I have em, I can't imagine a life without them.

My mother had six kids. She always said she wouldn't give a nickel for another, but she wouldn't take a $million for any one of them.
I asked her if that even went for my older brother and for some reason she still said yes.

I feel bad for those that don't have kids. I have two and the reasons I wanted them I really can't explain, but the amount of joy they bring to my life is amazing. I am always looking forward to the trips we get to take together and the new things I get to show them. It is hard to understand why you would want kids until after you have them. Definitely hard at times and definitely not for everyone.

I feel bad for those that don't have kids. I have two and the reasons I wanted them I really can't explain, but the amount of joy they bring to my life is amazing. I am always looking forward to the trips we get to take together and the new things I get to show them. It is hard to understand why you would want kids until after you have them. Definitely hard at times and definitely not for everyone.

Wait til you have grand kids. :yes: Even better.

It's ok that you don't understand. But that is no reason for you to feel sorry for us. I don't understand the primal urge to want to have to put up with kids, but if that's your decision, you deserve what you get. And that can be taken in a good way if that is the way you feel.

Not too many people (parents included) relish the thought of changing poo-filled diapers and having some kid constantly tugging at your coat tails. However, it seems with the majority of parents, they wouldn't have it any other way if given a choice. Sure, some people just aren't meant to be parents and others feel they don't ever want children, but most people have a change of heart once that child is in their arms.

I made it into my 30's before getting married and have the wife convinced that we won't start "trying" until after the year is out so that we can try to build up some savings and take a last vacation prior to having to re-arrange our lives for little ones. There's a little something to be said about leaving your impact on the world, and the best way to do that (in my opinion) is to instill your knowledge and values into your children so that they may continue on where you left off.

There is nothing anyone could explain to a non-parent that would really make it make sense or bring you to understand what it is to have kids.

If your parents are alive, this would be an excellent question to ask them.

Since you seem to be serious, philosophical questions about lifestyle and deeply personal decisions are pretty hard to justify. I always wanted kids from the time I was in my teens. I have older siblings and neither of them had kids, but that's only part of the answer. I also felt a need to carry on my father's legacy. He was a great guy, and deserved to have his genes carry on. Again, that's only one small part of the answer. I don't expect my kids to take care of me in my dotage, but it's nice to be able to call on them later for some help, just as I helped my parents when they got in their elder years. Again, only a small part of the whole answer.

I guess after all is said and done, I wanted kids for the kids sake. They are the funnest toy evar. Better than a hot car, or fast plane, or a dog. They play back, and the joy of watching them surpass even my own successes is very gratifying. Both my kids are in jobs where they help the next generation become productive and advanced members of society. They are making the country just that tiny bit better, and stronger. They will contribute far more than they will take from society, and they'll pass on my legacy for many generations. Kids are about the best thing I've ever done.

Pretty much what Spike said. Didn't want them. Married for 10 years before we thought, huh, maybe it would be fun and it would add something. It did. My daughter is now 16, my son 13, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever thought possible.

I'm glad we waited though. You look around and see 18-20 YO mothers, some with boyfriends. They're yelling at their kids. As they get a little older you see them jerk them by their arms and hitting them in the Wal-Mark parking lot. No doubt because the parents haven't grown up yet themselves. They're broke. No education. Chances are, no future. And you feel sorry for the kids.

It's funny, the things I remember from when I was younger and the things I'm sure my parents probably forgot a few days after they happened. I get on my kids a lot more than I probably should. But I do my best to give them a happy childhood and as many wonderful memories as possible that will last them forever.

Not too many people (parents included) relish the thought of changing poo-filled diapers and having some kid constantly tugging at your coat tails. However, it seems with the majority of parents, they wouldn't have it any other way if given a choice. Sure, some people just aren't meant to be parents and others feel they don't ever want children, but most people have a change of heart once that child is in their arms.

I made it into my 30's before getting married and have the wife convinced that we won't start "trying" until after the year is out so that we can try to build up some savings and take a last vacation prior to having to re-arrange our lives for little ones. There's a little something to be said about leaving your impact on the world, and the best way to do that (in my opinion) is to instill your knowledge and values into your children so that they may continue on where you left off.

Worrying about diapers when having kids is like worrying about what color your socks are when doing acrobatics. ;)

I love taking my 8 grand kids flying! 4 of them are old enough, and 2 had actually flown the plane. The two oldest can't get enough.

Why did I have kids? Because that is the circle of life, and I love kids. I love babies, I love teaching kids and raising them right. I wanted kids at 16!

I have 3 very successful adult daughters, and 3 very cool and successful son in laws. Raise them right and spend time with them and you might get lucky like I did.

Glad it worked out good for you....

I know alot of parents who had chillins... My educated guess is..

Of the ones who still have school aged kids..

80+ % are addicted to video games.... And most are fat and lazy... When our generation was growing up we were outside playing all day and when the streetlights came on we went home to do homework...... The kids nowadays never see any sunlight...:redface::redface::sad:..

Of the families who have 18+ year olds... I would say 60+% have those kids still living at home... Failure to launch is a proper term...:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

Each to his/ her own but I have NO regrets for being childless... YMMV...

Last edited:
There is nothing anyone could explain to a non-parent that would really make it make sense or bring you to understand what it is to have kids.

I have seen this discussion play out before. The arguments against are always the same.

;)
Pretty much what Spike said. Didn't want them. Married for 10 years before we thought, huh, maybe it would be fun and it would add something. It did. My daughter is now 16, my son 13, and I'm enjoying it more than I ever thought possible.

I'm glad we waited though. You look around and see 18-20 YO mothers, some with boyfriends. They're yelling at their kids. As they get a little older you see them jerk them by their arms and hitting them in the Wal-Mark parking lot. No doubt because the parents haven't grown up yet themselves. They're broke. No education. Chances are, no future. And you feel sorry for the kids.

It's funny, the things I remember from when I was younger and the things I'm sure my parents probably forgot a few days after they happened. I get on my kids a lot more than I probably should. But I do my best to give them a happy childhood and as many wonderful memories as possible that will last them forever.

I had kids at 21. On the other hand, it is nice to get it out of the way. I was an empty nester at age 41. And a grandpa at age 50. I'm young enough to enjoy lots of time with my kids and grand kids because now I am "retired".

I hear ya about immature people having kids, but I was ready. Unfortunately, my first wife wasn't. So your point is valid. :yesnod:

We have three, two boys aged an 11, 5, and a 4 month old sweet baby girl, wouldn't trade them for the world. I always wanted to be a parent and so did she. When you start having intercourse with a woman and spill your seed into her, You will have a baby every now and then. When they get to be about three years old they can start to pull their weight by doing chores, handing daddy a wrench or welding rod and folding laundry, dusting etc. They are great little workers! Our children play games, legos etc. The only time they get to play video games is when it is raining(we live in a desert) or on long road trips. We refuse to raise our kids on the television. Children are not a burden. When you have them you come to understand your parents.

It is impossible to explain to a non parent the joy that children bring. If you have doubts why then ask your parents.

Worrying about diapers when having kids is like worrying about what color your socks are when doing acrobatics. ;)

It is funny before having kids how much I thought about the diaper part.
2 kids 3 years each so around 6 years of changing diapers.

After 8 years, I have been covered in siht, vomit, snot, blood, p!ss, you name it and it is beyond a non event. Probably by week 2 the diaper change deal was just personal contest to see how fast I could do it.

My son used to pee on me at every diaper change.

Here is the photo of my first ever diaper change (rubber gloves were a prereq :) )

wus.jpg

It is funny before having kids how much I thought about the diaper part.
2 kids 3 years each so around 6 years of changing diapers.

After 8 years, I have been covered in siht, vomit, snot, blood, p!ss, you name it and it is beyond a non event. Probably by week 2 the diaper change deal was just personal contest to see how fast I could do it.

My son used to pee on me at every diaper change.

Here is the photo of my first ever diaper change (rubber gloves were a prereq :) )

wus.jpg

Changing diapers is WOMANS work.....;)...:D

We brought our first one home from the hospital and set her on the couch in her little car seat. We looked at her, then looked at each other, and said, "Now what do we do?"

Pretty much how raising kids works - you make it up as you go along. Keeps things interesting.

When my daughter was born the nurses did their APGAR stuff and swaddled her and handed her to me. I don't remember what I said but at the first sound of my voice my kid's head snapped and she looked right at me. The nurse told me she recognized my voice. That was a liife changing moment and I've enjoyed every day of my kid's 27 years. Lazy? Unmotivated? Not even close. She's pretty, smart, and driven. The world's a better place with her in it. I wouldn't expect non-parents to understand. Their loss.

You are right.
I grew up in a large family. Half my siblings have kids. The other half are enjoying life.

Haven't changed a diaper in years but this morning I spent an hour and a half shampooing the carpets to deal with this weeks iteration of 'the stomach bug'....:)
But then the other one, who is really a handful on monday mornings, got dressed by herself and ready for school just for the asking.

Back