Why did TWA Flight 800 explode?

What really happened was Scotty misprogrammed the Transporter and Spock and Captain Kirk materialized in the center fuel tank causing a disturbance in the space time continuum and BOOM!

Cheers

Yeah, it was their new "Center Fuel Tank sensing missile" because ALL four of those engines only had damage indicative of falling into the ocean.

A hit to the fuselage wouldn't show any damage to the engine. And no one ever did explain the the hole with all the edges pushed into the fuselage.

Serious questions:

When MH17 went down over Ukraine, recovered parts of the aircraft and (I think) flight crew bodies showed shrapnel damage from the fragmentation warhead. The photos of the exterior of the cockpit show the peppered skin of the aircraft.

I have no experience with anti-aircraft missiles, but am assuming a proximity trigger and fragmentation is normal. How "normal" is it? Does the TWA800 wreckage show evidence of this?

Serious questions are appreciated, even though my search for a retired NTSB investigator, with a good memory, who participated in engine #3 disassembly seems fruitless in this forum. However, I did find a retired NTSB investigator, with a good memory, who participated in the reconstruction of the fuselage. He was very clear that puncture holes in the right side and CWT indicated some sort of explosion outside the fuselage might have set off the fuel vapors in the CWT.

I once had the photos, but they disappeared. I have since tried to find more photos of the fuselage holes, without success. I have also tried to find photos of the wings, probably scrapped, which should show puncture holes in the right wing and engine #3 pylon damage. If anyone knows of these photos, please give me the URL.

Questions abound about missiles: There were only two smoke trails observed by nearby pilots and land based “witnesses.” The smaller of the two appeared to project forward of the explosion site and then drop into the sea. This was most likely engine #3, which would first go forward from the aircraft at high speed, still under thrust when it tore loose from its pylon. Then, with the thrust exhausted, it would drop, burning, into the sea.

Of course, other witnesses claimed they saw a missile, even up to five missiles, some in great detail, but there was only one smaller smoke trail from explosion to sea. So, no missile. However, this made for some books and TV shows and wasted one hellofa lot of time and money, in my estimation.

The other larger smoke tail was from the aircraft, which was seen to climb for a bit, then nose over into a dive. The initially intact aircraft then traveled for several miles, tearing apart as it went into the sea and created the primary debris field. The nose section came loose along the way and went to the right; creating a second debris field.

I still believe the NTSB Final Report is not credible. However, is anyone has questions or observations of a serious nature which might assist my search, they will be appreciated. I am still learning more about TWA Flight 800, but my main interest is in finding out what really ignited the fuel vapors in the CWT. A valid report on the disassembly of engine #3 would help.

Oh yes, the history of uncontained engine failures was provided to show that uncontained engine failures have been with us for 75 years and will undoubtedly continue, leading to a possible loss of life in the hundreds, 585 or more in the super jumbos. Whereas fuel tank explosions among commercial aircraft NOT caused by uncontained engine failures are both rare and hopefully a thing of the past with the inerting systems in place.

I testified before a Senate Sub-committee on Aviation Safety about an engine failure warning system, which was apparently being used by engine manufacturers to protect their test cell facilities from damage created by uncontained engine failures. I argued that this system should be modified for in-flight use to warn of possible uncontained engine failures. The manufacturers’ engineers insisted the failures came on too fast for pilots to save the engine from damage; along with aircraft and passengers.

I then presented the Senators with a display of cracked blades showing their tips had rubbed the engine housing and not yet failed, indications for they could have safely operated for some time after the warning system had been triggered. However, the concept of an in-flight system was rejected.

I suspect the in-flight version of an engine failure warning system was really rejected due to costs of adding sensors to aircraft engines and installing lights in instrument panels. One sensor per stage, all leading to one combo control per engine, leading to one warning light per engine; with a reset for engine housing flexing in rough weather. Cost to equip an aircraft about a few thousand or so.

I testified before a Senate Sub-committee on Aviation Safety about an engine failure warning system, which was apparently being used by engine manufacturers to protect their test cell facilities from damage created by uncontained engine failures. I argued that this system should be modified for in-flight use to warn of possible uncontained engine failures. The manufacturers’ engineers insisted the failures came on too fast for pilots to save the engine from damage; along with aircraft and passengers.

Would love to read the transcript, since that's of course, public record. Mind telling us the date of the testimony?

A hit to the fuselage wouldn't show any damage to the engine. And no one ever did explain the the hole with all the edges pushed into the fuselage.

Shep, I have great respect for you. You were flying in the Nam back when my idea of a good time was a fudgesicle - thank you. But amigo it looks like we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Art

When do we start the thread about how Shanksville and The Pentagon 9/11 crashes were really bombs and the airplanes are actually now in Mombasa or someplace. :rolleyes: There was a thread on the Red Board about this a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Light it up here. I'm sure I have nothing relevant to contribute. Rumors prevail in this day and age and none of them are based on fact. Conspiracy theories abound and if not believing them at least they are fun to read. The imagination of the trolls runs wild. Enjoy their mental infirmity.

July 19, 1996, TRACON radio transmissions, Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position, starting at 8:25 pm.

(003:25 airline time). Many unrelated aircraft transmissions deleted. (“Heavy” refers to a Boeing 747.)

08:25:34, [TWA 800] TWA's eight hundred heavy at 10,000 feet, climbing at 2,000 feet per minute.

08:26:24 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred maintain 13,000 feet only for now.

08:26:30 [TWA 800], TWA's eight hundred heavy, stop climb at 13,000 feet altitude.

08:29:47 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] Eastwind Airlines 507, descend and maintain level 20,000 feet, no delay down please.

08:30:16 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred climb and maintain 15,000 feet.

08:30:19 [TWA 800] TWA's eight hundred heavy climb and maintain 15,000 feet.

08:30:47 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] stinger bee five oh seven (Eastwind 507) descend and maintain 16,000 feet.

08:31:50 [Eastwind Airlines 507] we just saw an explosion out here.

08:31:57 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] stinger bee five oh seven i'm sorry i missed it ah you're out of eighteen did you say something else

08:32:01 [Eastwind Airlines 507] ah we just saw an explosion up ahead of us here *(somewhere's) about sixteen thousand feet or something like that it just went down - in the water

08:32:10 [Alitalia 609] alitalia six oh nine confirms just ahead of us

08:32:25 [Virgin Atlantic 009] Boston virgin zero zero nine i can confirm that out of my nine ah three my nine o'clock position we just had an exp it looked like an explosion out there about five miles away six miles away

08:32:36 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] virgin zero zero nine i'm sorry your transmissions broken up *(what'd you say)

08:32:39 [Virgin Atlantic 009] our at nine o'clock position sir it looked like an explosion of some sort about maybe six to five mi miles out from my nine o'clock position

08:32:49 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] an explosion six miles out at your nine o'clock position thank you very much sir.

08:32:56 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred center

08:33:04 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred center

08:33:09 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred if you hear center ident

08:33:17 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] stinger bee ah five zero seven you reported an explosion is that correct sir

08:33:21 [Eastwind Airlines 507] yes sir about ah five miles at my eleven o'clock here

08:33:31 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] alitalia six oh nine contact Boston now on ah one two four point five two

08:33:36 [Alitalia 609] one two four point five two and just for your information sir we are just overhead the explosion right overhead at this time now a hundred and three miles from JFK it’s about forty eight miles from *(j a p) on the one zero two radial

08:33:48 [Eastwind Airlines 507] and center for stinger bee ah five oh seven we are directly over the site with that airplane or whatever it was just exploded and went into the water

08:34:01 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] roger that thank you very much sir we're investigating that right now TWA eight hundred center TWA eight zero zero if you hear center ident

08:35:24 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] navy alfa tango four five zero new york center one three three point zero five

08:35:30 [Navy WAT450] switching one three two zero five

08:35:36 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred center

08:35:43 [UNKNOWN] i think that was him

08:35:45 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] i think so

08:35:48 [UNKNOWN] god bless him

08:36:58 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] stinger bee five oh seven thanks for that report ah new york on one three three point zero five good day sir

08:37:05 [Eastwind Airlines 507] thirty three oh five so long stinger five oh seven anything we can do for ya before we go

08:37:11 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] well i just wanna confirm that ah that you saw the ah splash in the water approximately ah twenty southwest of hampton is that right

08:37:20 [Eastwind Airlines 507] ah yes sir it just blew up in the air and then we saw two fireballs go down to the to the water and there was a big small ah smoke*(from) ah coming up from that also ah there seemed to be a light I thought it was a landing light *(eye) and it was coming right at us at about I don't know about fifteen thousand feet or something like that and I pushed on my landing lights ah you know so I saw him and then it blew

08:37:40 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] roger that sir ah that was a seven forty seven out there you had a visual on that anything else in the area when it happened

08:37:47 [Eastwind Airlines 507] i didn't see anything he seemed to be *(alone) i thought it had a landing light on maybe it was a fire i don't know

08:37:51 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] stinger bee five oh seven ah roger that and anything else comes to your mind ah you can use your other radio come back to this frequency and tell me about it

08:37:58 [Eastwind Airlines 507] that's all i can think of at this time

08:38:08 [United Airlines 2] one two four five two and is that airplane right in front of us now

08:38:12 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] ah he should be right underneath you they reported the splashdown right underneath you about ah twelve and ah four miles

08:38:18 [United Airlines 2] its still burning down there

08:38:20 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] in the water

08:38:21 [United Airlines 2] well there's ah there's bright red and there's there's smoke coming up

08:38:25 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] i'm sorry say that again gimme that report again

08:38:28 [United Airlines 2] there's fire with smoke

08:38:30 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] fire with smoke coming out of water

08:38:32 [United Airlines 2] right at our position right now I can give you a latitude and longitude if you want

08:8:35 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] absolutely thank you

08:38:44 [United Airlines 2] its ah north forty thirty nine point one west zero seven two three eight point zero

08:38:51 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] alright we got forty thirty nine point one west zero seven two three eight point zero

08:38:56 [United Airlines 2] that's correct

Note: Pilots of Eastwind 507 were said to not have been formally interviewed by the FBI for nearly 2 ½ years.

These TRACON transmissions are the voices of professional airline pilots who saw 230 others, pilots, crews and passengers die in the Atlantic. They can tell a great deal to those who will listen.

Eastwind 507 pilot reported a light or fire on the oncoming 747 that was Flight 800, then an explosion. This was seen and reported by many other pilots. It was daylight, in clear air. All pilots were at least twice as close to the event as any landlubber on Long Island shores. NO pilot reported seeing any smoke trail or any missile PRIOR to the report of an explosion. This eliminates the missile theory and the grand conspiracy of Friendly Fire, so widely believed and repeated by many “highly qualified eye witnesses,” plus military and civilian authorities. Five missiles? NO smoke trails? Really?

PILOTS reported TWO smoke trails resulted from the explosion. One small one was what I believed to be engine #3, which dropped down along the flight path; where it was located after an extensive search. The other, larger one, was from the 747, which continued for several miles, finally ending in a crash in the main debris field.

However, the explosion of the CWT has some problems. First, if the ignition source was in the wiring, in the middle of the CWT, then both sides of the CWT would have been over-pressured. Second, which is something that has been debated for years, enclosed fuel vapors will not easily burn or explode. Oxygen is required and the CWT was venting excess fuel vapors to the outside, as pressure dropped with altitude, in an area where no damage was reported.

However, if the right side of the CWT was punctured or torn open, which can easily be seen, the fuel vapors could easily be ignited and a roaring fire might result; with lots of smoke for an extended period. In fact, the smoke stains on the right side of the CWT, torn open by external forces, clearly show a major fire resulted. Whereas, there are NO smoke stains in the left side interior of the CWT. So, I find no indication of a violent explosion or the nose section being initially blown off, as depicted by the NTSB. I believe the nose section later folded back onto the right side, leaving a smear of red paint, while the 747 was breaking up due more to aerodynamic forces.

I suspect the ignition of the fuel vapor was the result of an uncontained failure of engine #3. However, I am only trying to find someone who worked on or has information regarding the disassemble of engine #3. Since that does not seem to be possible in this venue, I will seek another, possibly AOPA classifieds, and wish you all safe flying. Goodby.

July 19, 1996, TRACON radio transmissions, Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position, starting at 8:25 pm.

(003:25 airline time). Many unrelated aircraft transmissions deleted. (“Heavy” refers to a Boeing 747.)

08:25:34, [TWA 800] TWA's eight hundred heavy at 10,000 feet, climbing at 2,000 feet per minute.

08:26:24 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] TWA eight hundred maintain 13,000 feet only for now.

08:26:30 [TWA 800], TWA's eight hundred heavy, stop climb at 13,000 feet altitude.

08:29:47 [Boston ARTCC Sardi Sector, Radar Position] Eastwind Airlines 507, descend and maintain level 20,000 feet, no delay down please.

You realize this forum is a forum for pilots, right? I couldn't get past this far down.

I do have experience with surface to air missiles. They are basically gigantic shotgun shells. An airplane destroyed by a SAM has hundreds of puncture wounds, and the wreckage will contain lots of various missile parts. Nothing like TWA800 and a lot like MH17 and other airliners shot down by missiles.
14769648553_beae8c1a94_o.jpg

I'm pretty skeptical that an engine exploded on TWA-800 since they didn't find any engine components in the fuselage.

Here's a really good book on TWA 800 by the FBI's chief investigator. He came in convinced TWA was downed by a bomb or missile. He didn't trust the NTSB. After years of work and millions of dollars he found that TWA 800 crashed because of a sudden centerline tank explosion.

In the Blink of an Eye

I do have experience with surface to air missiles. They are basically gigantic shotgun shells. An airplane destroyed by a SAM has hundreds of puncture wounds, and the wreckage will contain lots of various missile parts. Nothing like TWA800 and a lot like MH17 and other airliners shot down by missiles.
14769648553_beae8c1a94_o.jpg

Here's a really good book on TWA 800 by the FBI's chief investigator. He came in convinced TWA was downed by a bomb or missile. He didn't trust the NTSB. After years of work and millions of dollars he found that TWA 800 crashed because of a sudden centerline tank explosion.

In the Blink of an Eye

No fooling?

Oh man, why do we even keep these troll threads?
Mods, why can't we delete this pointless stuff? Sure, some view it as a source of entertainment but it gets old fast. (at least for me)

More proof there is a cover-up. Closed and deleted threads.

Back