Why can't we say what is on our minds?

Unfortunately, that's not really the case. Political polarization has gotten to the point that it's almost impossible to find a place for political discussion. Debate, yeah, there are plenty of places for that; but what you get is something akin to talking to a telemarketer: scripted replies and talking points, not thoughtful discussion.

That's not to say that SZ was any better, especially toward the end. It got to the point that all I had to read was the first post in a thread and I could predict with uncanny accuracy what each member would have to say about it. There were very few who were willing to read, consider, and respond outside their pre-determined, party-line positions.

This isn't just a POA problem nor even an Internet forum problem. I have degrees from both the New York and New Jersey state university system, which gives me alumni privileges at a staggering number of colleges. One would think I could find open-minded people with whom to have discussions there. And one would be wrong. They're all party-line parrots, too.

It's very frustrating.

Rich
Sadly enough, this is true. Even in real life.

As we have pointed out numerous times, there are plenty of other places you can go to engage in political discussion. Some people can participate in an adult manner, but when unmoderated, it gets taken over by trolls, bullies, and those who revel in throwing that political grenade. We decided, collectively, that we didn't want to support that kind of activity.

Moderation is exactly why I posted that tax thread on here and not in Facebook. I wanted to have an economics discussion - not a political one. For some reason people can sit in an economics 101 class for a year and discuss the technical details about Keynesian vs. Neoclassical economic theory, and never get into a screaming match about it. Take the exact same technical discussion to the internet, and it becomes political in seconds.

Though I guess POA is unique in that it can get itself into a screaming match about a weld on a rudder pedal. So there's that...

I do not envy the mods on this board.

I miss Henning

For all his, uh, oddities, I thought he was a pretty decent dude. Although he had some ideas that I found strange, he didn't seem to be vindictive as some of the folks that remain here do.

I love POA! It's not without warts, but it's a good place. There is a forum here for most types of discussion to fit. Plenty of aviation talk in the Controlled Airspace section, and plenty of bull spit down here in Hangar Talk. Pretty good mix in my opinion. The only thing that ever really gets me worked up is the pizzing contests that take place when somebody just needs a little help with something, and that seem to instigated by roughly the same set of characters. Fortunately, a few of them don't show their unpleasant faces much anymore, so part of the problem took care of itself, but I hate that we've lost some good ones too. I think pure aviation discussion without a place to do some BSing about random crap would be boring. I dare say this is the best all around aviation forum on the interweb.

Moderation is exactly why I posted that tax thread on here and not in Facebook. I wanted to have an economics discussion - not a political one. For some reason people can sit in an economics 101 class for a year and discuss the technical details about Keynesian vs. Neoclassical economic theory, and never get into a screaming match about it. Take the exact same technical discussion to the internet, and it becomes political in seconds.

Though I guess POA is unique in that it can get itself into a screaming match about a weld on a rudder pedal. So there's that...

I do not envy the mods on this board.
You could probably do it on Facebook if you limit the audience to people you know won't get into a screaming match, and block them from the discussion if they do. I know FB allows you to set up groups, either private or public.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's not really the case. Political polarization has gotten to the point that it's almost impossible to find a place for political discussion. Debate, yeah, there are plenty of places for that; but what you get is something akin to talking to a telemarketer: scripted replies and talking points, not thoughtful discussion.

That's not to say that SZ was any better, especially toward the end. It got to the point that all I had to read was the first post in a thread and I could predict with uncanny accuracy what each member would have to say about it. There were very few who were willing to read, consider, and respond outside their pre-determined, party-line positions.

This isn't just a POA problem nor even an Internet forum problem. I have degrees from both the New York and New Jersey state university system, which gives me alumni privileges at a staggering number of colleges. One would think I could find open-minded people with whom to have discussions there. And one would be wrong. They're all party-line parrots, too.

It's very frustrating.

Rich
I think it's because we've tied our identities to our political and cultural opinions. Honest intellectual debate is prohibited by personal insecurities. In an effort to one-up or prevail in a particular discussion, we begin to categorize the opposing view into an easier to dismiss caricature instead of thoughtfully considering the complexity of the alternate view. I find myself doing it at times and it is an exercise in humility to silence your own protest so that you can hear what the other person is saying.

Are you the person with the seminary degree? I remember interacting with someone who was educated along those lines but forgot who it was.

You could probably do it on Facebook if you limit the audience to people you know won't get into a screaming match, and block them from the discussion if they do. I know FB allows you to set up groups, either private or public.

I have been known to do that on Facebook. There are some people who I will exclude on particular discussions to try to keep them civil.

I think it's because we've tied our identities to our political and cultural opinions. Honest intellectual debate is prohibited by personal insecurities. In an effort to one-up or prevail in a particular discussion, we begin to categorize the opposing view into an easier to dismiss caricature instead of thoughtfully considering the complexity of the alternate view. I find myself doing it at times and it is an exercise in humility to silence your own protest so that you can hear what the other person is saying.

Are you the person with the seminary degree? I remember interacting with someone who was educated along those lines but forgot who it was.

One of my degrees is in religion, though it's not exactly a "seminary" degree. Seminaries mainly train people to be pastors or other religious professionals and award degrees like M.Div and D.Div. My interest is more in religion and religions themselves as part of a greater avocational interest in anthropology, as well as for their own sakes.

Yeah, I have odd hobbies...

Rich

That one was really just two individuals who always argue with each other. They might be secretly in love with each other they argue so much. LOL.

Back