Why aren't seaplanes more popular?

Too much money for the speed ,and maintenance cost can get prohibitive,if you use them in salt water. They do however look cool.

I disagree, they do not look cool. Big pontoons strapped to a plane are not aesthetically pleasing. The goal of flying somewhere is usually to save time and that time is saved due to speed and aluminum canoes wielded to the plane tend to screw that up.

Granted, it opens up destinations otherwise inaccessible, and the time factor applies in those cases...but it's too few and far between so the market is small resulting is fast zippy planes being more desirable.

I disagree, they do not look cool. Big pontoons strapped to a plane are not aesthetically pleasing. The goal of flying somewhere is usually to save time and that time is saved due to speed and aluminum canoes wielded to the plane tend to screw that up.

Granted, it opens up destinations otherwise inaccessible, and the time factor applies in those cases...but it's too few and far between so the market is small resulting is fast zippy planes being more desirable.

Seaplanes can be zippy, look at the Seawind. Floatplanes add drag, but have their own set of operational advantages, especially if you are using docks.

Personal opinion... but I've always liked the looks of this...
fdesign_CTLSfloats370x278.jpg

Nah, this one is better.

tl3000.jpg

Just get one of these, get your seaplane giggles for awhile and go back to regular flying.

lightsport_dumigan_700.jpg

Just get one of these, get your seaplane giggles for awhile and go back to regular flying.

lightsport_dumigan_700.jpg

If you had one of those you might never go back.

And what do tell is "regular flying"? :dunno:

You know going from one boring deserted podunk airport to another. Solely by reference to TV.:lol: Same super fun stuff Flying mag sells.:sad:

Refund gap ... :rofl: ... I had to Google that one.

"Mmmmm, girl, your doctor owes you a refund on them titties...":rofl: I have seen some F-ed up boob jobs. You could pretty perfectly overlay a picture of Marty Feldman on her torso.:lol:

You know going from one boring deserted podunk airport to another. Solely by reference to TV.:lol: Same super fun stuff Flying mag sells.:sad:

TV is more colorful and somehow just a lot more real. I can't wait for the premier of season IV- Byron(C83) to Gustine(3O1). I hope they use a lot of magenta again! Last season was amazing!

TV is more colorful and somehow just a lot more real. I can't wait for the premier of season IV- Byron(C83) to Gustine(3O1). I hope they use a lot of magenta again! Last season was amazing!

Is it about the flying or being in Gustine? Sell the plane and move there.;)

"Mmmmm, girl, your doctor owes you a refund on them titties...":rofl: I have seen some F-ed up boob jobs. You could pretty perfectly overlay a picture of Marty Feldman on her torso.:lol:

So how do you decide if the gap is too big, with a special go no go gauge?

So how do you decide if the gap is too big, with a special go no go gauge?

I was walking into a strip club and the first stripper I saw grabbed my head and moved it into her chest, as to put my head between her fake set.

I got a whole lot of sternum, and not a lot of breasts. That, to me, is too big of a gap.

I was walking into a strip club and the first stripper I saw grabbed my head and moved it into her chest, as to put my head between her fake set.

I got a whole lot of sternum, and not a lot of breasts. That, to me, is too big of a gap.

Hmmm... did she have a large adam's apple?

On lakes where they allow Seaplanes, they don't have marked "lanes". Pilots used to runways and dont know how seaplanes do it, tend to think there should be marked lanes.

There are some pretty short lakes out there. Usually they want a mile or so of possible run. Seaplanes differ all over the place on how much they need. If the water is glassy, you need much much more length (sometimes cant do it at all and have to wait for some wind).

On lakes where they allow Seaplanes, they don't have marked "lanes". Pilots used to runways and dont know how seaplanes do it, tend to think there should be marked lanes.

There are some pretty short lakes out there. Usually they want a mile or so of possible run. Seaplanes differ all over the place on how much they need. If the water is glassy, you need much much more length (sometimes cant do it at all and have to wait for some wind).

Glassy water tends to cause a bigger issue for landing, setting up for a slight nose up attitude with 150fpm or so decent when you loose depth perception and waiting for her to touch down, eats up a bit of real estate.

Taking off and unsticking floats in glassy water can be a little issue, not as bad if you have some power, you can also always do some step taxiing and break up the glassy water.

If you think you need a lane to land, seaplane and backcountry flying ain't for you.

Glassy water can actually prevent a seaplane from getting on the step. So you can't take off at all. If you can get on the step, you can usualy take off. A little wind comes up, and you can take off no problem. Ive seen it even with 206's, and other pretty capable Seaplanes (that were heavily loaded). It happens.

Going back and forth to make wakes might work, but watch your CHT's. You will be running at low speed and high power so they get up there. Don't get excited and cook your engine by trying over and over again. Better to get a local motor boat to do it for you.

I mentioned the lack of lanes because lake officials considering allowing seaplanes and even non-seaplane pilots tend to think the lake should somehow have lanes. One state asked the Seaplane pilots instructor (not a Seaplane instructor, his IFR instructor) and the instructor told them they should establish a lane. (He'd never even flown in a Seaplane). Its a common misconception. So then the state committee got the idea there should be lanes. That means bouys. Not how it works guys. Not sure if they got straightened out or not. I sold my Amphib. Never could get the state of Colorado to allow any on the state administered lakes. (it wasnt just that issue) Its not that Seaplanes aren't for them, its they dont understand how its done.

The Seaplane Pilots Association just dedicated a whole issue of their magazine to trying to get a Seaplane base in Colorado, somewhere.

Last edited:
Take off from glassy water is a non issue, it becomes non glassy real quick once you get the bows up to plow and you make a circle or two. Besides, if you have enough running room you can always give it a bounce and a rock to pop suction.

Not always. You can have a situation where the plane has enough power to get on the step with rippled water, but NOT enough power to get on the step if the water is glassy.

Try and try to get on the step with glassy water. Then a wind comes along, and presto, on the step no problem.

It happens.

Not always. You can have a situation where the plane has enough power to get on the step with rippled water, but NOT enough power to get on the step if the water is glassy.

Try and try to get on the step with glassy water. Then a wind comes along, and presto, on the step no problem.

It happens.

Spin one circle whether on the step or not, and the water will no longer be glassy.

You can try that. Just keep an eye on the CHT's and oil temp. Dont cook your engine. It works better on smaller lakes. Big lakes seem to absorb them. Better yet, get a motor boat to do it for you... You can feel that glassy water stickieness in a motor boat too btw so don't be suprised if some motor boat operator offers to do it for you. Go for the one with the bikini clad. Turn the engine off and have a party. All in good fun...

Last edited:
Big lakes are very rarely glassy. Even a slight breeze on open water stirs a ripple.

Decided to answer the question first hand. Flew the Lake today, never went over a 1000 feet because there were plenty of landing strips beneath me. Did 3 water touch and goes, saw alligators, eagles, fishermen, girls on the beach. Not close enough to see their gap. Guess seaplanes are not more popular because people do not understand their versatility. Glassy water not a problem, circle through your wake and pop up on the step. Set a fixed descent on a big lake and just wait for it to kiss down or use the shore as a visual descent point and land parallel to the shore. Seaplanes are more popular with me and have been for the last 30 years.

Decided to answer the question first hand. Flew the Lake today, never went over a 1000 feet because there were plenty of landing strips beneath me. Did 3 water touch and goes, saw alligators, eagles, fishermen, girls on the beach. Not close enough to see their gap. Guess seaplanes are not more popular because people do not understand their versatility. Glassy water not a problem, circle through your wake and pop up on the step. Set a fixed descent on a big lake and just wait for it to kiss down or use the shore as a visual descent point and land parallel to the shore. Seaplanes are more popular with me and have been for the last 30 years.

Sweeeeeeeeetttttt! :yes:

I enjoy seaplane flying more than any other.

Bingo!

As for glassy water, I've never had a problem getting up on step with my current plane, or the PA18 I got my SES ticket it, or 172XP I built some hours in. Only issues I've had we're needing more real estate of landing.

Back