Why are words deleted?

Of course you're defending it as you said in post # 13:

"The real issue is there should not be a PROFANITY filter at all." :rolleyes:
So, if I argued the software should not filter out "President James Buchannan," I would be arguing in favor of him? Not arguing that he is irrelevant to aviation?

I'm thinking that a lot of pilots have way too much time on their hands.
And I'm reading along to see if someone will complain that "Bonanza" isn't on the list of profane words.

Wanna have fun? Go to the EAA forums and type "Chuck Yeager" as part of a post.

The forum software changes it to "a famous test pilot"....

I guess it was because he was an ***hole... :)

Ron Wanttaja
This is the sorta thing that really annoys me. I frequently use a site that changes the names of businesses. So if I try to give directions by saying that we are in the park behind the Stop-and-Go and Howard Johnsons, it comes out "convience store" and "motel" of which there are many.

This is the sorta thing that really annoys me. I frequently use a site that changes the names of businesses. So if I try to give directions by saying that we are in the park behind the Stop-and-Go and Howard Johnsons, it comes out "convience store" and "motel" of which there are many.

and you're complaining about a coupl'a asterisks?

This is Post 1, User 1 for this forum. February 11, 2005, 17+ years ago.

"Greebo, post: 1, member: 1"
Welcome!

Welcome to the new "Pilots of America" Forums. You've found us in our infancy right now - we're still working out the specifics of our setup and administration - but feel free to register an account, hop on in and say hello!

In the near future, we will be setting up a series of Aviation related forums for US based Pilots and anyone else with an interest in or, more likely, passion for aviation.

Right now our Administrative Council is still working out the details, and as decisions are made, the look, feel, and content of these forums are subject to potentially radical change. So please pardon our dust, put on a set of non-polarized sunglasses, put your tray up and lock it and return your seat to its upright position, and take off with Pilots of America!

Chuck "Greebo" Haeberle, PP-ASEL

I can't quite tell if you are stirring the pot for funzies, or are serious about your gripes in a community that the admins and some very passionate people put a lot of years into creating, governing, and maintaining, but looking at the numbers below, I think their street cred here carries a bit more weight than yours.

"Skinnybird, post: 3238435, member: 51041"
I'm not defending profanity. Just pointing out that it makes no sense to censor profanity-- and that is not what is happening at PoH-- because we are discussing airplanes and not religion here.

To quote some profane people:

“This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge.”

And for the record, your atheistic bent could also be regarded as religion by those of us who believe that to be worship of self or some other deity. Maybe best that we drop the argument about what is profane, since you are appearing to single out particular broad religious groups definition of profane rather than accepting a general societal understanding.

Most people *could* adequately express their profound and utter disgust without using sexual references, for instance, if they had the self control to do so.

One could also always go Shakespeare style, as well… thou cow-dung eating pompous buffoon. (J/K)

Last edited:
So, if I argued the software should not filter out "President James Buchannan," I would be arguing in favor of him? Not arguing that he is irrelevant to aviation?

You're being annoyingly obtuse now. I'm done.

thou cow-dung eating pompous buffoon.
An alternative is mentioning the odor elderberries and resemblance to pig-dogs, while mimicking a very bad French accent.

An alternative is mentioning the odor elderberries and resemblance to pig-dogs, while mimicking a very bad French accent.
Funny folks but even they would say “not Shakespeare”

I'm not defending profanity. Just pointing out that it makes no sense to censor profanity-- and that is not what is happening at PoH-- because we are discussing airplanes and not religion here.

You cherry picked the definition of profanity from its original sense (religion). Today, the definition includes “obscene” or “vulgar.” Both of which have no secular meaning.

You cherry picked the definition of profanity from its original sense (religion). Today, the definition includes “obscene” or “vulgar.” Both of which have no secular meaning.
Not according to four top dictionaries. Oxford, Collins, Webster, MacMillian... Or Lexico. Profanity, Vulgarity, and Obsenity are separate and not interconnected.

Words have meaning otherwise we are all just (oops-- obcenity).

In aviation having the words right could well mean the difference between life and death.

I was researching a particular carbureator for a particular engine in a particular aircraft. Synonyms for the four words the software chose to *** out were "a very small amount" "a bunch" "fully contained" and "fat chance." The posts were meaningless without those ***d words. (Like if I gave you directions to turn ** at the corner and go ** miles to ** and make a **.)

I was never agruing. I was first asking why. Then when I was told there was a "profanity filter" dumbfounded. Nothing on PoA should be profane, and the posts were not vulgar. By a stretch other (slang) meanings of the words *** out may be considered obscene-- but not in the manner they were used on PoA. It reminds me of trying to buy a Mango in a farmers market in Miami.

… carbureator….
On more than one occasion you have spelled this word that way. None of your four dictionaries spell it that way.

It’s hard for you to have any credibility in using a dictionary if you cannot use one to spell words correctly.

Last edited:
Not according to four top dictionaries. Oxford, Collins, Webster, MacMillian... Or Lexico. Profanity, Vulgarity, and Obsenity are separate and not interconnected.

In aviation having the words right could well mean the difference between life and death.

I was researching a particular carbureator for a particular engine in a particular aircraft. Synonyms for the four words the software chose to *** out were "a very small amount" "a bunch" "fully contained" and "fat chance." The posts were meaningless without those ***d words. (Like if I gave you directions to turn ** at the corner and go ** miles to ** and make a **.)

I was never agruing. I was first asking why. Then when I was told there was a "profanity filter" dumbfounded. Nothing on PoA should be profane, and the posts were not vulgar. By a stretch other (slang) meanings of the words *** out may be considered obscene-- but not in the manner they were used on PoA. It reminds me of trying to buy a Mango in a farmers market in Miami.

Synonyms for profanity.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profanity

If it were 1522 I’d agree that profanity is in reference to a religious insult but in 2022, it’s evolved into something completely different.

(Warning language)
https://candaceviannawrites.com/2015/08/18/profane-vs-profanity/

Last edited:

Of course, lately the dictionaries have been CHANGING the long-standing historic definition of words, so I'm not convinced even that is safe anymore. Give me a 1970s or even 1990s definition vs a 2021 definition.

I'm offended that this site, which I use (for free), which publishes my wisdom for literally the entire world to read (for free), which exists through the efforts of other people (not me), x's out words I use for my lack of imagination. So offended, in fact, that I'm going to make a post and beg for the attention of tens of thousands of people to validate me.

Please post an actual example of where a filter obscured an aviation related post on a technical issue to the extent where you could not discern its meaning. By actual example, not typing about a carburetor related post, but the actual post.
I don't give a **** about the definition of obscene.

What I can't figure out is whether the original question reminds me of Cartman, or the kitty.

All this hog wash, and the specific words have not yet been spelled out so we can know what this is all about.

That sneaks right by any filter.

So what words were filtered? I wait with baited/bated breath, not sure which will be the correct choice.

The Geezer has heard most of the bad words, so does not expect any surprising additions to his vocabulary.

Cockpit
cock pit
cock and balls
Dick york
Pussywillow
****ake mushrooms
Ass hole (with a space)
******* (without a space)
****Tree music
****ery

There's actually a lot to work with

Last edited:
I was asking about the original post.

Dick York, lol.

gettyimages-93404107.jpg

All in all, I think I'd prefer a system that automatically deleted bad words, as opposed to one that automatically added them.

Saw this on Facebook today. Facebook's auto translator had a problem with "Fokker". I've edited this to POA's standards....
translation fokker clean.jpg
Ron "Them fokkers was Messerschmidts...!" Wanttaja

And to think this all got started by somebody who wanted carnal knowledge of a carburetor.

I think the shytty Wx covering much of the country is basis of this thread. Can’t fly light as well complain about something….

penis
Note, I did not come here to talk about genetalia (sic) or anything other than aircraft, but c'mon, really?
Then why are you? Your IRL friends don't want to hang around and be lectured about their inferior vocabularies anymore?

Back