Why are words deleted?

Skinnybird

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
David Beauchamp
In recent days, in three different threads, words have been replaced by ****.

Are we adults here or children?

Why are words being censored by the POS software?

Yeah, you can talk ****, but you can't say ****. Can't say **** either. ****!

In recent days, in three different threads, words have been replaced by ****.

Are we adults here or children?

Why are words being censored by the POS software?
We have a profanity filter installed on the back end, it’s been effective since day one so nothing new to see here.

We have a profanity filter installed on the back end, it’s been effective since day one so nothing new to see here.

And back on Day 1, PoA was concieved as a family friendly aviation board that would welcome aviation enthusiasts of all ages. Therefore certain words are filtered out.

So, I just tested George Carlin's "six words you can't say on television," and it only *** three of them. I am really curious, but don't expect an answer to what words the "so called" profanity filter is deleting.

Maybe I am just really naive but I cannot imagine the words that were *** out being used to describe something relevant to this forum, or a response to the same.

Then I googled, and found "the scunthorpe problem" at wikipedia.

Gotta tell you that your POS software suite scores nearly 100% on BS *** of words.

Last edited:
************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** **************************************
************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** **************************************
************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** ************************************** **************************************

penis

This is interesting, because ALL the words I can think of pertaining to female genetalia ****** ***** **** *** **** **** are forbidden.

Note, I did not come here to talk about genetalia or anything other than aircraft, but c'mon, really?

The word list is configurable by the management council. Perhaps a constructive use of your outrage is to mention to them that penis should be added to the wordlist.

For fashion and some variety, maybe they could customize the ***** to instead replace the word with Beauchamp.

who gives a flying* fark about this stupid shyte?

*aviation related so thpthpthpthpthpthpthp

My issue is that I have to guess what someone wrote about a carbureator bowl issue because two words were replaced by *** and ***.

And previously in two separate posts, words about a particlar engine, and a particular airplane were replaced with *** and ***.

The real issue is there should not be a PROFANITY filter at all.

Profanity "refers to the blasphemous, irreligious, or irreverent." --OED

Perhaps a VULGARITY filter is desired.

Vulgarity is defined as "the quality or state of having or showing poor taste or manners." --OED

And back on Day 1, PoA was concieved as a family friendly aviation board that would welcome aviation enthusiasts of all ages. Therefore certain words are filtered out.

And yet they let me join anyway. :)

What's annoying is when a perfectly legitimate word in context is cut because it happens to have an alternate vulgar meaning... like describing a nice flying plane as a "real pussycat" but leaving in a space after "real".

ass isn't censored, so I don't know what three letter words would be replaced with ***

The * count matches the letter count, so you should be able to figure out the word that's being replaced.

On the female genitalia test: vagina
Not sure which words you be usin' ;)

My issue is that I have to guess what someone wrote about a carbureator bowl issue because two words were replaced by *** and ***.

And previously in two separate posts, words about a particlar engine, and a particular airplane were replaced with *** and ***.

Profanity "refers to the blasphemous, irreligious, or irreverent." --OED

Perhaps a VULGARITY filter is desired.

Vulgarity is defined as "the quality or state of having or showing poor taste or manners." --OED
You know, my 6 and 8 year olds read over my shoulder from time to time. I for one appreciate that the board is kept PG for the most part. Now if adults could just handle their emotions... and chill.

You’ve only been a member here for a few weeks, so it’s expected that you might not be completely familiar with the forum.

Whether you like it or not, that’s the way it is. You should be able to communicate without using obscene language. If you can’t, this might not be the place for you.

Wondering if the profanity filter will he coming from together as folks test the limits.

You’ve only been a member here for a few weeks, so it’s expected that you might not be completely familiar with the forum.

Whether you like it or not, that’s the way it is. You should be able to communicate without using obscene language. If you can’t, this might not be the place for you.

I'm curious, did you not read my post?

Profanity, Vulgarity, and Obsenity are not synonyms.

Profanity is a scale of secular to anti-relgious...

I can't really imagine why there would be religious discussions on this forum.

I said that a "vulgarity filter" might be resonable. Because vulgarity refers to poor taste or manners.

Now some of the words ***'d may in certain cases, but most likely not in the context of this forum, be considered obscene.

OED defines obscene as the portrayal or description of sexual matters.

Unless people are doing things with thier airplanes that I really just don't want to know about, nothing discussed here should be obscene-- no matter how much you object to the price of 100LL it REALLY is just annoying, not obscene.

I see that someone has gone and adjusted the filter, so I can now read the posts that I could not before. And I see it is a case of words that have multiple meanings. Had I been typing the initial posting and seen that my words were replaced with *** I would have gone back and edited in a synonym, but maybe I just have more time on my hands than others.

What's annoying is when a perfectly legitimate word in context is cut because it happens to have an alternate vulgar meaning... like describing a nice flying plane as a "real pussycat" but leaving in a space after "real".
And this was the EXACT problem. Four words that together had 27 or so possible meanings...

If you have a suggestion about which words :
a) are being censored but shouldn't be, or
b) are not being censored but should be,
...then please be specific with the suggestions.

Clinical/medical words are not on the censor list.

The definition is much more than that.

"Profanity is a socially offensive use of language, which may also be called cursing, cussing, swearing, or expletives."
Nope, and It isn't just OED...

Collins:
profane
1. ADJECTIVE
Profane behavior shows disrespect for a religion or religious things.
2. ADJECTIVE
Something that is profane is concerned with everyday life rather than religion and spiritual things.
The cardinal said that churches should not be used for profane or secular purposes.
3. TRANSITIVE VERB
If someone profanes a religious belief or institution, they treat it with disrespect.
[formal]
They have profaned the long upheld traditions of the church.

Lexico:
profane
1. (of a person) not initiated into religious rites or any esoteric knowledge.
‘he was an agnostic, a profane man’
of a person or their behavior) not respectful of orthodox religious practice; irreverent.
‘desecration of the temple by profane adolescents'
(of language) blasphemous or obscene.
‘The FCC, by law, must prohibit the utterance of ‘any obscene, indecent or profane language by means of radio communication.’’

Nope, and It isn't just OED...
2. ADJECTIVE
Something that is profane is concerned with everyday life rather than religion and spiritual things.

Why would you defend profaning anything (even if your limited assertion is correct in your own mind)?

Last edited:
Why would you defend profaning anything (even if your limited assertion is correct in your own mind)?
I'm not defending profanity. Just pointing out that it makes no sense to censor profanity-- and that is not what is happening at PoH-- because we are discussing airplanes and not religion here.

I'm not defending profanity. Just pointing out that it makes no sense to censor profanity-- and that is not what is happening at PoH-- because we are discussing airplanes and not religion here.

Wonder if these still work
  1. Frak
  2. Smeg
  3. Frell
  4. Gorram
yup.

Of course you're defending it as you said in post # 13:

"The real issue is there should not be a PROFANITY filter at all." :rolleyes:

Wanna have fun? Go to the EAA forums and type "Chuck Yeager" as part of a post.

The forum software changes it to "a famous test pilot"....

I guess it was because he was an ***hole... :)

Ron Wanttaja

Back