Why are Rotax engines limited to 150/160hp?

I’m a Rotax owner and believer. The 914 I have is brilliant motor. It makes crazy power for its size/weight and flies beautifully well into the teens. I’m 1/4 of the way to my 2k hour TBO and not a single problem. While they are’cheaoer’, they aren’t cheap. At TBO I’m looking at $42k all-in.

I think FancyG nailed it. They’re absolutely crushing in the market share they command right now.
What do they have in the 180-250 hp range?

Probably neither hopes nor dreams. Rotax is a division of Bombardier RECREATIONAL Products, headquartered in Canada and successfully split off in 2003 from the more 'serious' parts of Bombardier that make jet aircraft and mass transit products. Since the 1960s they've operated primarily as the engine supplier for 10 million snowmobiles, three wheelers, off-road four wheelers and watercraft built by BRP in Canada as well as motorcycles, go-karts and recreational aircraft built by others. There's no strong indication of them having the risk appetite to become a supplier for larger aircraft engines to the utility or family transportation GA market. I understand the V6 was contentious within BRP for that reason, viewed as an expensive distraction over a ten year development process and killed off by BRP in 2006 (post-spin-off) after the engine ran into technical trouble.

On the other hand Lycoming and Continental were once primarily car engine suppliers so who knows, but I doubt BRP would take the risk or make the investment again now after 20 years of success focus on recreational products. They're making their money building high volume 'Powersports' toys for much less critical customers.

Last edited:
With the weight you're saving put a parachute on it, worked for Cirrus.
Having a lighter engine means the cg moves aft making spin recovery more difficult. Adding a chute most likely makes that aft cg worse. Unless you plan on packing the rocket in the cowl.

The 914 is 30 pounds lighter than the o200.

Having a lighter engine means the cg moves aft making spin recovery more difficult. Adding a chute most likely makes that aft cg worse. Unless you plan on packing the rocket in the cowl.

So you move it forward. Or use a heavier prop.

I have seen videos of the Yamaha EPeX engine. They have a series of up to 300 hp at quite a bit less than Rotex in cost. If I ever have to replace my 0-320, I will consider the Yamaha. I have no connection with this company but they have quite a bit of info about the engines in airplanes.

Why don't we have larger Rotax engines?....because not every design scales up easily.....and the market may not be there. ;)

So you move it forward. Or use a heavier prop.

Or...you just add ballast. Do what you can to shift weight forward (battery, heavier prop, etc.) then add a set of steel plates as far forward as you can. 30 pounds is equal to about 110 cubic inches of steel. That's a set of 10x6 plates about two inches thick. Need even less if you just oversize the tubing in the mount.

Ron Wanttaja

Back