Why am I out of Night Currency?- Long post

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Well, not really. At least not yet. But I will be in a few days, so says a review of my logbook. It will almost have been 90 days since my 3 qualiflying (yes I spelled that right) night ops.

I thought that I would take care of it this afternoon. I don't do a lot of solo flying and I figure I'm due for some maneuvers, pattern work, idle power landings, stick and rudder stuff....burning AvGas, whatever you wanna call it, I haven't done any in awhile.

Well, I decided to make a mission of it instead, since I have my wife on the phone. I invite her and our toddler on a dinner date across the bay, a quick flight W00-KESN with an extra circuit around the pattern at a daytime arrival at ESN, with 2 after dinner and the trip home (makes 3) and I'm good for another 90 days...or so was the thought.

I arrived at the airport ahead of my wife, quickly got into the preflight. What's this nick on the prop blade? I think it was there before, and it's so tiny, you'd hardly see it.

Open the baggage door, hmmmmm not locked. Cover straps not properly secured....hmmmmmm.....who flew the plane last? I added my name to the list, recorded Hobbs and tach time and made a mental note of the last pilot's name and entry, no squawks noted.

As I continue my preflight, I discover that he put the fuel nearer the tops, above our customary tabs fuel of 35 gals, no idea how much was in there but full is 53, so maybe high 40-ish.

It's a 1600+ DA afternoon and I'm not feeling like cutting it close with the two most important people in the world to me, so I decide to take a trip around the pattern....to gauge the performance first.

SFRA procedures....call up FSS and enter a new flight plan (previous had 3 on board and departing the SFRA) for 1 and remaining in the pattern. Then Call ATC and get my squawk.

CLEAR!

As I taxi to the favored runway 18 (slight downhill and slight breeze out of the south) a Saratoga calls up asking for a runway advisory. I advise him that I'll be using 18 and he replies 36.:confused:

I ask if he's planning an instrument approach, to which I'd yield. No response. Saratoga, state intentions. No reply. I proceed to the runup area and he calls distance (unintelligible). I'm now done with runup and hear him declare 8 miles airport in sight. I call out to traffic departing 18, closed pattern. He asks preferred and I state 18 and push the power up, thinking....he's 8 miles out with plenty time to plan his arrival:nono:

I haven't done a no flap takeoff in awhile so I decide this is the opportunity. At 300AGL I see him to my left in the distance. 500, I turn cross, call on the radio and lose sight of him. He states he has visual and is turning base for 18. I'm now 100 below pattern altitude and tuning downwind and call again, no visual. I check my lights (wouldn't want Doug Bader getting into a tizzy over me not using ALL my lights:wink2:).

I hear him call 5 miles, but my brain doesn't process his location...I'm not happy with not seeing this guy. I'm abeam, call my downwind decent and ask him to remain clear. He states 3 mile final. Still no visual on him.

I depart the pattern. An SFRA no-no.:nono: As PIC, I determined that it was safer to disengage, get some separation and then rejoin. I call ATC, while making my 225* turn and tell then I departed the pattern due to traffic conflict. Request to return to advisory freq. Granted.

I rejoin on the 45 and on downwind, I call my position and see the airplane on the ground, looks like he was on the taxiway but he replies that he'll be out of the way by the time I arrive (I'm sure you will). I call my downwind decent again and he states clear of the active.

Oh! In my excitement of typing, I forgot to mention the engine vibration and hesitation during my flying, head swiveling and radio chatter:yikes: is this that prop nick? Did I underestimate it?:confused: Why is the engine acting like this?

I get back to terra firms sans further drama with the landing, but whats that nose wheel shimmy? Thats new....So I'm definitely heading to parking. Not flying today.:no:

Little Miss is ready to go flying, but daddy has to explain why we're not flying today. Grown Miss saw the other airplane (and my upset with him) but lost sight after he landed.Flightaware told me his tail number. And that's all I have to say about that.

So that's why I'm going to be out of night currency for the first time in over a year.:sad:. I will notify the clubs maintenance officer about the squawks.

File ASRS about this Saratoga's airline pattern and losing visual:idea:, causing me to deviate from SRFA procedure (my 2nd SFRA issue in only 8 days):nonod:.

That's quite the adventure and it sounds like you made the same choice I would have.

Anything that you can control maintenance and condition on. At this point I'd rather own a TriPacer than rent. In 25 years I have come across less than a handful of rental planes that I considered properly cared for. I'm a fatalist so unless I see major issues I fly them anyway, but only because I have a mission to fulfill, I don't fly planes I don't like for fun.

I'm willing to bet the market will only get better for buyers. If JB's event was isolated or even infrequent, a knee-jerk decision to buy an airplane doesn't seem like a wise move. Since he hasn't mentioned the problem before, I'd be hesitant to throw big money at a small problem.

That.

Buyer's market right now. Just do it.

I've been flying out of it since it's start. It's not that big a deal anymore. file , talk, squawk. just make sure you do it right. a minor slip up can coast you dearly.

I'm willing to bet the market will only get better for buyers. If JB's event was isolated or even infrequent, a knee-jerk decision to buy an airplane doesn't seem like a wise move. Since he hasn't mentioned the problem before, I'd be hesitant to throw big money at a small problem.

Yes, $9 solution to a $2 problem. There has never been an issue with the airplane since I've been flying with the club.

I've always followed the rule of three. I find three things wrong, no matter how minor, I scrub. Accidents are caused by chains. Break the chain, no accident.

Anything that you can control maintenance and condition on. At this point I'd rather own a TriPacer than rent. In 25 years I have come across less than a handful of rental planes that I considered properly cared for. I'm a fatalist so unless I see major issues I fly them anyway, but only because I have a mission to fulfill, I don't fly planes I don't like for fun.

Bingo. I had my fair share (plus some) of issues with rentals, that's why I don't rent now. There are only two people with the keys, and only one of them turns wrenches (me) for pilot-allowed maintenance issues. If there is something wrong with it I have no-one else to blame, and I usually know about it before it becomes an issue.

I've been flying out of it since it's start. It's not that big a deal anymore. file , talk, squawk. just make sure you do it right. a minor slip up can coast you dearly.

Welcome to the U.S. of A. Land of the Free! :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

it's the price of living withing spitting distance of so many very important people ( at least in their mind :))

I put gas in the plane and fly it. No thanks on a minor slip up on a rule that does virtually nothing to protect anyone, that endangered nothing except some security type's ego costing me dearly. My tendency is to say "Whew, thank goodness I don't live there" but I fear a precedent has been set. Sorry, I'm more troubled with the SRFA part of the story than the pattern cowboy or the nick on the prop. Your no big deal sounds like it would require me to go on blood pressure medication.

I put gas in the plane and fly it. No thanks on a minor slip up on a rule that does virtually nothing to protect anyone, that endangered nothing except some security type's ego costing me dearly. My tendency is to say "Whew, thank goodness I don't live there" but I fear a precedent has been set. Sorry, I'm more troubled with the SRFA part of the story than the pattern cowboy or the nick on the prop. Your no big deal sounds like it would require me to go on blood pressure medication.

Considering how far you are from any class C let alone class B airspace I can see your discomfort but but here in the mid Atlantic - north east airspace is a way of life.

By the way I did not see anything really wrong with the toga's actions.

By the way I did not see anything really wrong with the toga's actions.

I wasn't going to say anything -- but I agree. Presuming the story is accurate, I can find no fault with the Saratoga's approach. He announced, he entered the pattern -- and he landed. He even changed runways at the O.P.'s suggestion.

If the O.P. loses sight of him, grows uncomfortable, and leaves the pattern -- how is that the Saratoga pilot's problem? Or even an issue? :dunno:

To me, this is the critical point:

I hear him call 5 miles, but my brain doesn't process his location...I'm not happy with not seeing this guy. I'm abeam, call my downwind decent and ask him to remain clear. He states 3 mile final. Still no visual on him.

So...the O.P. is on downwind. The Saratoga is announcing a 3-mile final. It's unclear how he got to that point, but it's not relevant now -- he's there, and you have to deal with him.

Why did the O.P. not simply extend his downwind? That's what I would do -- and have done, dozens of times. Why leave the pattern completely if you know he's on a 3-mile final for 18?

It's a 1600+ DA afternoon and I'm not feeling like cutting it close with the two most important people in the world to me, so I decide to take a trip around the pattern....to gauge the performance first.

Man, us Colorado types would give our left wing to have a mere 1600' DA.

I'm sensing a bit of paranoia. Or a bunch of little things added up to make you uncomfortable. No harm in bagging it when it doesn't feel right.

I'm sensing a bit of paranoia. Or a bunch of little things added up to make you uncomfortable. No harm in bagging it when it doesn't feel right.

It's all relative. How do you feel about flying an NA Single at Night VFR? =D

To me, this is the critical point:

So...the O.P. is on downwind. The Saratoga is announcing a 3-mile final. It's unclear how he got to that point, but it's not relevant now -- he's there, and you have to deal with him.

Why did the O.P. not simply extend his downwind? That's what I would do -- and have done, dozens of times. Why leave the pattern completely if you know he's on a 3-mile final for 18?

Granted, but he made other position calls that did not match with what my eyes were (not) seeing. For example, he called position over the water tower; which tells me he's somewhat familiar with local landmarks - there are several, I suspect he wasn't referencing the one that's used for 45* entry for 18, as he wasn't there when he said he was. I was not convinced he was reporting accurately (ref: his 8 mile call).

I have limited space to extend downwind. Although the FRZ notch cutout for the airport looks on a chart like you'd clear it, I've been advised not to venture too far north on downwind 18.

I'm not the pattern police, but I understand why people have issues with 747 style patterns.

Granted, but he made other position calls that did not match with what my eyes were (not) seeing. For example, he called position over the water tower; which tells me he's somewhat familiar with local landmarks - there are several, I suspect he wasn't referencing the one that's used for 45* entry for 18, as he wasn't there when he said he was. I was not convinced he was reporting accurately (ref: his 8 mile call).

I have limited space to extend downwind. Although the FRZ notch cutout for the airport looks on a chart like you'd clear it, I've been advised not to venture too far north on downwind 18.

I'm not the pattern police, but I understand why people have issues with 747 style patterns.

Gotcha. I'm not faulting your decision -- either extending downwind, or leaving the pattern would be "right" -- just curious.

And I will third (or fourth) the notion that you can keep your crazy airspace rules "out there"... :yikes:

Probably do it tonight, or this weekend... at well over 6000' DA. :)
I don't think he realizes that "well over 6000 DA" is the flat plains when the temperature is just a little above freezing.

Lowest DA I've seen at the home drome was somewhere around 3500', it was -40f and very little humidity. :)

I will ashamedly admit that I am out of night currency. I work a software engineering job at a tech startup and with the sun setting at 20:22 it is just too difficult to start a flight at 21:22 at a weekday and get home in time to get a reasonable amount of sleep. And weekends I am usually busy. When sunset comes a bit earlier I will manage to fit it in. It is much harder to stay in night currency this time of year.

I don't think he realizes that "well over 6000 DA" is the flat plains when the temperature is just a little above freezing.

It's a nice balmy 73F out, and 7955' DA at the home 'drone tonight.

If I hadn't had a margarita with dinner, I'd be at the hangar. Perhaps tomorrow night. Only a week left on my night currency and I don't let it lapse.

If it weren't halfway across the damn prairie, all the chatter that folks are going to dinner at OFK tomorrow night sure is tempting to go congratulate Dale...

But OSH departure is later next week, so I'll forego the extra long XC... Plenty o' flyin' coming right up...

46c4c12d-f483-6678.jpg

Back