Whose planes do you fly?

Whose planes do you fly?

• Total voters
Welcome back! I have a similar story. Got the license in 1989, moved to start my first job, and didn’t fly for 23 years. Got back into it about 7 years ago, and I’ve been flying a lot since then. Bought my plane the year after restarting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guess I'm the "junior" of the group, as I only stopped for 15 years before flying again/getting a plane again.

I get to fly a variety of airplanes. I do take care of several also. Right now I have a RV-7, Stinson 108, N3N, C-140, 2 Supercubs, 182, Zenith 760, Glasstar, UTVA 66, and a RV-12 to fly anytime. Should have the Nanchang CJ-6 done by mid summer.

That is an enviable list of planes to fly! Is that N3N the same one that was posted about on BeechTalk?

I have also found that renting outfits are so detailed in what you can and can’t do, it’s basically a new, stricter, Set of FARS.

One of the things that was attractive about my new club was that there are no restrictions beyond the FARs, with the exception of a couple of currency requirements mandated by insurance. I think that if you haven't done 3 take offs and landings in the previous 180 days you have to be signed off by a club instructor. The club requires a checkride every year, but they'll accept my CAP checkride as equivalent. Pretty easy stuff, and the club has an excellent safety record.

Despite having a sizable population, a class C, a class D, and a couple of active uncontrolled fields in the immediate area, there very limited rental options, and only 172s or 152s. The club has a 182RG, which is another very attractive feature.

Right now, i rent a cherokee 180 and sublet a Debonair. Might end up buying into the debonair by footing part of the bill for the OH that's coming up soon.. Barring that, my CFI and I are looking for partners either in a HP/Complex single or a twin

Those are both really nice Velocity. I am curious why you own two airplanes that are similar in performance?

Those are both really nice Velocity. I am curious why you own two airplanes that are similar in performance?

Stupidity. :D Really they both handle differently. The Glasair is slightly faster, more responsive and aerobatic. The Velocity is far more comfortable, 4 seats (my baggage area) and has more range. So, one for the fun of flying and one for XCs.

Hopefully my plan is to sell both in about 5 years and get a twin. Just signed up for ME training today.

I started flying before I could drive, saved money from summer jobs and would ride my bike to LWM for lessons.

In 1990, I did a tailwheel refresher at LWM. I lived five miles from OWD, but LWM was the closest place that had rental tailwheels and so I went there. Got checked out in a L-4 and also flew three hours in a PT-17. In training, we'd fly the L-4 into Tew-Mac quite often. Did some landings with the PT-17 at Plum Island on the grass runway. There was a wrecked Birddog there that had cracked up during banner towing ops.

Was flying with a friend around the marshlands east of I-95 in the L-4 when a bit of turbulence bounced the whiskey compass off its pivot. Found I-95, flew up it until I found the Merrimack River and then followed it to LWM. I couldn't raise the tower on CTAF, but I could on Ground. I told them what was going on. Didn't phase them a bit. They cleared me to approach via the river and then to fly a right downwind for 32.

Good times.

Stupidity. :D Really they both handle differently. The Glasair is slightly faster, more responsive and aerobatic. The Velocity is far more comfortable, 4 seats (my baggage area) and has more range. So, one for the fun of flying and one for XCs.

Hopefully my plan is to sell both in about 5 years and get a twin. Just signed up for ME training today.

Don't worry, we're all stupid.

Twins are nice. Not really any faster but oh do they climb...

Guess I'm the "junior" of the group, as I only stopped for 15 years before flying again/getting a plane again.
I was 12 years.

I have an Archer but thinking of a Bo when I move back to the States. I may have to ask @ytodd if I can sit in his this summer when I am home on leave.

For my business and personal flying I have a 50/50 partnership in a 74 Cessna 414. I do considerable contract flying in a C414A and occasional contract flying in a BE65 (Queen Air). I flight instruct in a C 172. Still do some Mooney M20J flying and from time to time get my hands on some other interesting types. All said, right now aviation is a big part of my life, especially so considering it isn’t really my occupation.

Mine's a somewhat unique situation. I live on a grass airstrip community with a hangar in the backyard, but no owned airplane. A nearby neighbor, not on the airstrip, has a Beech Musketeer that he bought but has no hangar to store it in. I let him keep it in my hangar, and he lets me fly it when I want. We have a calendar schedule to help avoid any conflicts. Works out great for both of us.

Back