Who's to blame?

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
https://www.yahoo.com/style/walmart-closing-hundreds-stores-laying-140952700.html

So I read this on all the financial pages today, but I ask myself, what is to blame for this? In Ames Iowa, where I live most of the year, a town of maybe sixty thousand, we have a Walmart, a Super Walmart, and a Sam's Club. I mean, they have driven most of the rest of their competition out of business, and now they are driving themselves out of business. What else would one expect?

The story says:

>>>
Walmart is closing the stores to shift resources to Walmart's Supercenters and smaller-format Neighborhood Market stores.
<<<

Sounds like more of a restructuring to do more with less.

I read that too and am wondering if the Wal-Mart in my town is going away. It's not that they have too much competition, they have none. They just don't have the population. I have always wondered why they built it. I would be sad, because it's the only store of that type out here, and it's the nicest Wal-Mart I've ever been in, probably because is it never crowded...

I like Walmart. I saw a sign up at a nearby store which said "Now Hiring, All Positions starting at $10.25." I was also told that they hire honorably discharged veterans on the spot, without question, starting at $12/hour.

But back to the story, Walmart's website says they have 5,310 U.S. stores open. These closures then would make up less than 3% of their stores. But since they are mostly the smaller, Walmart Express stores, that's an even less significant percentage of employees and revenue they will be losing.

It's never good to see stores closing but I don't fear for Walmart. I think they have an excellent business plan and I don't see this as being any real loss for them or their employees.

Probably people like me who would rather buy stuff online if it's the same price or cheaper with shipping.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/walmart-closing-hundreds-stores-laying-140952700.html

So I read this on all the financial pages today, but I ask myself, what is to blame for this? In Ames Iowa, where I live most of the year, a town of maybe sixty thousand, we have a Walmart, a Super Walmart, and a Sam's Club. I mean, they have driven most of the rest of their competition out of business, and now they are driving themselves out of business. What else would one expect?

Walmart hasn't been doing that well for a while. They've struggled to obtain strong and focused leadership at the top, and in my opinion, they still don't have it.

For several years now, they've been focusing less on sound business decisions and more on chasing the latest dumb P.C. fad, whether it's pandering to the environmental activists, the First Lady's anti-fat campaign, or the $15/hr minimum wage.

They've been way, way behind on e-commerce and still don't do it well. They can't even deliver an accurate inventory status for products in their stores, and their web site's a mess, combining products that they sell along with affiliates.

The shopping experience at Walmart is generally miserable. I get that they can't control the "crowd," but they can make the stores clean and efficient. In my experience, they do a very poor job of that, with dirty stores, constant rearranging of merchandise, frequently bare shelves for popular merchandise in high-volume stores, and an extraordinarily poor checkout experience (a problem which also plagues Sam's Club). In my area, much of the same "crowd" shops at Aldi, but Aldi gets people in and out in a hurry.

They're the king of deceptive packaging, whether it's the slightly downsized facial tissue boxes or 20 cans of Coke instead of 24 in a case for the same price, or selling ultra-cheap crap wrapped in fancy packaging to make it appear as something that it's not. Aldi and Costco are generally able to provide higher-quality, lower-priced private label products.

Their stores are one of the least customer-focused operations I've ever experienced. Need help as a customer? Good luck. Price match? Sure, as long as it's Target and not Walmart.com, and subject to restrictions and limitations which they seem to arbitrarily determine. They have 30 registers and folks backed up into the aisles waiting to spend money and only a handful of registers are open. Managers, however, can often be seen standing around as idle observers. Pathetic.

My local Walmart is a high-volume store, and as a result, they have a fair amount of shrinkage. It's always interesting to hear about the folks who steal items and then try to return them at the same store for cash or merchandise credit, which is often when they're caught. Walmart doesn't seem to have figured out how to control this, either, except to treat every customer like they're trying to pull some scam over on the company. I lose patience quickly when a merchant treats me like a criminal because they can't control their own problem with theft.

Not surprisingly, Sam's Club suffers from many of the exact same issues.

Amazon, Aldi, Costco, Target, and even some mom and pops are killing them, and I still get the sense that they have no idea why. Walmart used to be the low-price leader, and was once lauded as having one of the most efficient logistical operations. That no longer appears to be the case.

I have been a defender of Walmart in the past, but as a customer, I've noticed a decline over the past several years. Every time I hear one of their executives make some bone-headed comment or give some stupid speech on something that has nothing to do with the core of their business, I cringe. Every company runs into trouble when they're distracted from their core competency and lose focus on their customers.

JKG

Always found it funny how all these America and "traditional values" types always seem to shop at Walmart, buying cheap Chinese crap and killing their local businesses.

Always found it funny how all these America and "traditional values" types always seem to shop at Walmart, buying cheap Chinese crap and killing their local businesses.

Yeah; that. ^^^^

There's nothing "traditional value" about shoddy small businesses.

For several years now, they've been focusing less on sound business decisions and more on chasing the latest dumb P.C. fad, whether it's pandering to the environmental activists, the First Lady's anti-fat campaign, or the $15/hr minimum wage.
That pretty much is what it is. In the same vein, the CEO of Sam's Club made waves with his hideous racism recently. It's pretty much a liberal takeover and its results.

Last night mama Steingar wound up in the emergency room. Half her right heel had been eaten away by gangrene. Nastiest thing I've ever seen, and boy have I seen nasty. Who's to blame? I was pretty peeved at the nursing home where she was staying.

Fast forward to today, when I hear about the results of an MRI done on her lower extremities. Turns out there really isn't a lot of blood flow down there. Combine that with her bedridden status and a wound like that could have formed rapidly indeed.

The point being that there really isn't anyone to blame. Walmart became a dominant retailer a couple decades ago, now someone else is coming up through the ranks (I imagine online retailers). That's just how these things work. There will likely be someone else after that. I didn't try and blame anyone when my father's pharmacy was finally undone, it's just the nature of these things.

There's nothing "traditional value" about shoddy small businesses.

Exactly. And who says those small businesses aren't selling cheap Chinese crap, anyway?

AND! Do you have any idea how many people Walmart employs? People like James look at Walmart like it's the worst thing to happen to America. But maybe that's just because you haven't seen what one store can do for a small town. One town I have in mind hadn't seen any growth in ten years. One day, a Walmart is built and all of a sudden, hundreds of new houses are going up, more roads are being paved, and more businesses open (especially small businesses). Big businesses pay big taxes and draw big crowds who also pay big taxes.

The point being that there really isn't anyone to blame. Walmart became a dominant retailer a couple decades ago, now someone else is coming up through the ranks (I imagine online retailers). That's just how these things work. There will likely be someone else after that. I didn't try and blame anyone when my father's pharmacy was finally undone, it's just the nature of these things.
Woolworth's, Zayre's, Ames, Robert Hall, Grossman's... all gone. All ate by someone better, bigger, wiser, cheaper. Walmart is eating its own tail if they are throwing up another Walmart close to an existing one. But who determines close. On the other hand, we see this with pharmacies, building supply, and grocery stores.
May the better dog win. Unfortunately, that sometimes means they eat the competition, then themselves.

Exactly. And who says those small businesses aren't selling cheap Chinese crap, anyway?

AND! Do you have any idea how many people Walmart employs? People like James look at Walmart like it's the worst thing to happen to America. But maybe that's just because you haven't seen what one store can do for a small town. One town I have in mind hadn't seen any growth in ten years. One day, a Walmart is built and all of a sudden, hundreds of new houses are going up, more roads are being paved, and more businesses open (especially small businesses). Big businesses pay big taxes and draw big crowds who also pay big taxes.
I'm not a Walmart fan, but what you say is true. There are many examples of a Walmart going up in a run-down or un-developed area. Soon roads, utilities and scores of other businesses are popping up drawing off of the traffic generated by Walmart. For every small business killed by Walmart, there are probably two or three new ones created.

But I still don't like them because of the way they choke their suppliers and by the amount of chinese crap they import (to satisfy the demand of people that want "cheap" over "quality". And a lot of you know who you are. But some of you don't realize it.

Who's to blame. BBush. No, wait, Obama. No, wait, it's congress. No, wait, it's the Chinese. No, wait, it's ISIS. Wait, maybe it's OPEC. Could be Trump. Or the NRA. Oh, heck, blame the Brits because they caused this country to be created.

:rolleyes2::rolleyes::rolleyes2::rolleyes::D

Last year I was watching a financial show. Their talking head was saying how WalMart generally loses business to Target and other retailers in late summer. That's when the back to school clothes shopping is in full swing. She said nobody buys those clothes at Walmart because they are too cheaply made. Why buy kids clothes that won't last the school year?

Within a few miles of me we have 1 Walmart, a new Walmart grocery store, and 2 Sam's Clubs.

And they leave a huge vacant building and parking lot that sits empty for years. One about 5 miles from me has been sitting empty for at least 11 years now. Big eye sore.

Who's to blame. BBush. No, wait, Obama. No, wait, it's congress. No, wait, it's the Chinese. No, wait, it's ISIS. Wait, maybe it's OPEC. Could be Trump. Or the NRA. Oh, heck, blame the Brits because they caused this country to be created.

:rolleyes2::rolleyes::rolleyes2::rolleyes::D

Yeah, You have got the point.

A bunch of small town Tx stores are closing.

That will hurt those small town economies a little I would think.

All those people out of jobs in towns that don't have a lot of jobs.

Back