Who's fooling who? Garmin GPS

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So I was looking at getting a new GPS to go with the new boat, and since my aviation GPS is a decade-old Precedus, I thought I might get one that does double duty.

Of course the Garmin 396 came to mind, since weather info would be useful in both the airplane and the boat, but the cost is a bit of a shocker. Imagine my surprise when I found out the Garmin 376C is the same handheld, but defaulted to marine instead of aviation. Both have auto capability. The aviation unit can do marine, but no mention of the marine unit being able to handle the aviation database.

I certainly understand some of the dynamics of pricing things for aviation, but for the life of me cannot figure out why the aviation unit is priced $1,500 higher :hairraise: than the marine unit. Database and possible minor software changes don't come close to justifying that.

Somebody tell me a reason other than "that's what the market will bear," please.

Rational pricing is based on maximizing the supplier's profit. If there is plenty of competition, price will be based on "Cost". If a supplier has a unique product, pricing will be more based on "Value". Of course it's not always cut-and-dried, and other factors (e.g., customer good will and sustainability of the competitive advantage) come into play. But pricing isn't always about the supplier's cost.

maybe the folks at Garmin think that planes cost more than boats, therefore, airplane pilots are willing to spend more money.
I have seen some boats that cost a hell of alot more than my plane.

Michael

What the market will bear is what it is.

Aviation market is smaller, and there is the perception that aviators will pay more for toys. Less serious competition in aviation, too. And Jepp is not exactly cheap supplying the database.

Now, you want to guess how much each unit costs Garmin to be manufactured?

Ken Ibold said:
Somebody tell me a reason other than "that's what the market will bear," please.

Ken,

Not familiar with the marine GPS market...is there a competing product that offers the same level of functionality in that market?

I think the overall perception is that Garmin is currently the leader in the aviation GPS market. It is good to be the king but in this case not Bendix/King.

Len

wsuffa said:
Now, you want to guess how much each unit costs Garmin to be manufactured?
Bill, are we amortizing engineering development into that number? :D

I'd be surprised if it cost more than $400 bucks for components and assembly. And that's if they build them here (dunno if they're building in Taiwan or China yet). I'd guess the screen is the most expensive item. Either that or the XM receiver.

-Rich

When I activated my 296, the little airplane was in Taiwan; does that tell you anything?

As for the price, well, I'm on a waiting list for the full list price and can't get one. Found two at a shop here in Texas right after they put them on e-bay. They sold for more than list.

Best,

Dave

rpadula said:

I'd be surprised if it cost more than $400 bucks for components and assembly. And that's if they build them here (dunno if they're building in Taiwan or China yet). I'd guess the screen is the most expensive item. Either that or the XM receiver.

-Rich
But that is irrelevant to my question, considering the marine and aviation units are identical.

Ken Ibold said:
So I was looking at getting a new GPS to go with the new boat, and since my aviation GPS is a decade-old Precedus, I thought I might get one that does double duty.

Of course the Garmin 396 came to mind, since weather info would be useful in both the airplane and the boat, but the cost is a bit of a shocker. Imagine my surprise when I found out the Garmin 376C is the same handheld, but defaulted to marine instead of aviation. Both have auto capability. The aviation unit can do marine, but no mention of the marine unit being able to handle the aviation database.

I certainly understand some of the dynamics of pricing things for aviation, but for the life of me cannot figure out why the aviation unit is priced $1,500 higher :hairraise: than the marine unit. Database and possible minor software changes don't come close to justifying that.

I would guess that Garmin's marketing deptartment has assumed that the potential aviation market for the G-396 is smaller than the potential marine market is for the G-397. An additional factor may be the potential liability exposure for aviation is greater than that for marine use. There may be an additional cost for more complex software support in the aviation unit.

It has always been thus. The Garmin Street Pilot was $795 when the GPSMAP 295 was $1495. The Street Pilot had MORE features - it had the turn-by-turn voice capability.

They could have a higher embedded cost for the liability of anything aviation. Any manufacturer of anything in the plane can be brought into court by the heirs. Witness how every accident is due to the Parker-Hannifin vacuum pump.

The real justification is they price not as pertains to what it costs to make, but as to what it's worth to the market. Microsoft prices Windows XP Pro at $300 and Windows XP Home at $200 when the raw cost of what they supply you with is less than $10.

rpadula said:

-Rich

The XM chipset is probably around $5 now, depending on implementation.

My guess is that in quantity, Garmin's cost is $250 or so.

Also maybe payments to Jepp for the database. I don't know where the marine db comes from but I bet Jepp isn't a cheap license.

ejensen said:
Also maybe payments to Jepp for the database. I don't know where the marine db comes from but I bet Jepp isn't a cheap license.

Ah....but database updates are $35. That should be it, unless the manufacturer has to pay some sort of tribute for the data format or to be compatible with a Jeppesen database.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Ah....but database updates are $35. That hsould be it, unless the manufacturer has to pay some sort of tribute for the dataformat or to be compatible with a Jeppesen databse.

I may be wrong but I believe there is more to Garmin using the Jepp database than just the cost of the updates. Maybe not though, could be the other way around, Jepp might pay Garmin to get more update customers.

I would sure like to know if the marine unit is identical to the aviation unit. Will it accept the aviation download? It would sure be nice to have a 396 for a $1000.00.

This pricing reminds me of a friend of mine who had consulted at GM in the early 1980's. He told me that the real cost difference between a Chevy Caprice and the Cadillac was just $180. That was the manufactured, out the door, cost difference between the two cars. Ouch.

John

Not trying to change the topic John and all, but did your friend tell what the factory cost out the door for those cars were? I've had some folks speculate. Wondering what the real out the door cost is.

Dave

Paul Allen said:
I would sure like to know if the marine unit is identical to the aviation unit. Will it accept the aviation download? It would sure be nice to have a 396 for a $1000.00.
It will only work if you could replace the firmware software on the EEPROM which would be a copyright violation at a minimum. You can bet that firmware updates check the model at the update. If you disable that you'd be violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and Senator Hatch would get you.

BTW, such is being done elsewhere. Some souls discovered that you can turn a plain old Motorola cell phone into the new ROKR iTunes phone by updating the firmware.

Last edited:
mikea said:
BTW, such is being done elsewhere. Some souls discovered that you can turn a plain old Motorola cell phone into a the new ROKR iTunes phone by updating the firmware.

And there is a way to re-enable some of the functions that Verizon has blocked on their Moto cellphones. Like the ability to download pictures without paying VZ $0.25 for each picture.

Ken Ibold said:

Ken;
We may find it hard to accept but that is how our economic system is designed and functions, service and product pricing is hardly at all based upon how like products are priced in parellel markets, nor how much they cost to make.
The example I think of is superstar or sportstar incomes.... how can someone justify such incredible wages for hitting a ball with a wooden stick? It will never make any rational sense but that is the (some say, 'sad part of') how our system works.
Personally, I am willing to live with the downsides of it because of the many benefits it offers.

My current handheld is a Lowrance Globemap 100, a groundbound version of the Airmap 100. When I turned it on, the distances and speeds defaulted to nm and knots, and it has the same nav pages as the Airmap 100. It does not have an aviation database, and no way to upload one. It's easy to input what I want manually. I would like airspace, but combined with the sectional I've got that anyway.

When Cathy bought it for me, the Airmap 100 was going for around $400, IIRC. The Globemap 100 cost $200.

Dave Siciliano said:
Not trying to change the topic John and all, but did your friend tell what the factory cost out the door for those cars were? I've had some folks speculate. Wondering what the real out the door cost is.

Dave

Dave

Thank you for your note;

At that time around 1983 the costs for material, labor etc to get the vehicle out the door was close to 15%to 20% below what an "Employee would pay" for the product. Amazing the "real costs' are very much a close loop at the excutive level I remember this from my friend plus from purchasing through an employee plan and from my dad who worked at Westinghouse and he did his own research. The one thing that has risen so fast is Administrative Costs. Most business use to use 10% of cost to pay Admin costs. These costs have gone up quite rapidly to gosh in some cases 25%. What are administrative costs. Well they can be Excutive Salaries and bonues plans, if a public company board member stlipends etc. The employee costs are seperate which where the health care retirement and so forth come in

I will try to give an example and please anyone who is more current then me pleae jump in.

An employee who works for X motors wants to purhase a car. They have to go to theri department head and tell them what they want. Next they have to go to a dealer or at least they use to and "buy or order the vehicle' The employee tells the dealer they work for X motors and there is a discount given that is 15 to 30 below "invoice" depending on vehicle. X manufacture makes up the difference to the dealer. This was done during the 1980s and earlier. All the manufactures followed the same pattern for many auto workers compare prices etc,

I will give a very personal situation with my dad who worked his last job at Westinghouse Defense Electronics here near BWI. We needed a new stove and he being an employee went to his devision head and was given a form to take to a retailor who sold the product. Dad went and paid the price and gave the retailer the paperwork. Dad got 15% off dealer cost and the dealer sent in the paper work and got reimbursed for his share or nut. Dad did his own studies of manufacturing costs and figured out based on cost of material engineering ETC. He figured that the cost to get product out the door was 30% below what an "Employee would pay" This is old information but it is still pretty close.

My friend to sum up never bought a GM car after that. He had been driving an old Truck(1960s) and then decided to get a M Diesel 240 with a stick. He still drives it with 750k miles on it.

I do know some more about electronic costs which are amazing.

As I mentioned it depends so much on what the Buyers of raw material can get,delievery of goods to the factury and then shipping product to the customer. As we have heard GM has China making Buicks over there. Now the Cost of making a Buick in China would be an interesting study.

Dave thank you for asking the questions and I am sorry I took so long to answer. This a a great topic.

John J

More thread drift...

I have recently been working on M&A (mergers and acquisitions) analysis. I am new to this, with no financial background - all of what I know is what I've picked up on the job.

One thing that is alarming is the steady rise in SG&A versus sales at many large enterprises. We're talking 1 full percentage point over 3 years, which is just unreal. Pair that with the amount of bonds floated in the current market (debt happy companies love times like this, just float bonds like it is going out of style), and you have a lot of companies with excessive bloat and debt.

One instance is a tens of billions (in sales) company that has almost 26% in SG&A. Think of that.

FWIW, I am working on a study to link "quality" methodologies and new management methodologies (matrixed management, Six Sigma, CMMi, etc) with increase in SG&A. I saw a 4% increase over a 3 year six sigma implementation at one company - profit to share holders increased 1% in the same period. Sad.

We can all vouch for the fact that businesses have higher revenues than past years (adjusted for inflation), but I don't see where those dollars are trickling back into the marketplace.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well, I would wager they will sell a hell of a lot more Marine units than Aviation ones. Economies of scale.

If somebody made as many 4 place airplanes a year as Toyotas, they could cost like Toyotas for the same reason. But ... they make more Toyotas BEFORE NOON than GA planes produced in a decade ...

Ken Ibold said:

wsuffa said:
And there is a way to re-enable some of the functions that Verizon has blocked on their Moto cellphones. Like the ability to download pictures without paying VZ $0.25 for each picture.

Tell me more...

astanley said:
More thread drift...

One thing that is alarming is the steady rise in SG&A versus sales at many large enterprises. We're talking 1 full percentage point over 3 years, which is just unreal. Pair that with the amount of bonds floated in the current market (debt happy companies love times like this, just float bonds like it is going out of style), and you have a lot of companies with excessive bloat and debt.

One instance is a tens of billions (in sales) company that has almost 26% in SG&A. Think of that.

FWIW, I am working on a study to link "quality" methodologies and new management methodologies (matrixed management, Six Sigma, CMMi, etc) with increase in SG&A. I saw a 4% increase over a 3 year six sigma implementation at one company - profit to share holders increased 1% in the same period. Sad.

We can all vouch for the fact that businesses have higher revenues than past years (adjusted for inflation), but I don't see where those dollars are trickling back into the marketplace.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew, there are a lot of variables in there. Companies justify a merger based on cost savings or pro-forma reductions in SG&A. Those are rarely accomplished. They also pro-forma in revenue improvements due to 'synergy'. Again, rarely accomplished, especially if the companies are larger.

SG&A improvements come where the companies are of modest size, and they may not have the same efficient systems that larger companies typically do. Merging two highly-efficient companies is tough on the cost side, though revenue increases may come if they are able to be large enough to control production or inventory in the greater market place (see, for example, the results of refinery company mergers).

It is a fascinating analysis....

larrysb said:
Of course, if you think you can make a cheaper/better/faster/prettier one, then go right ahead!
Anything can be made cheaper, better, faster or prettier... you pick which one of the above qualities, because it's an "or" solution not an "and solution...

wsuffa said:
Andrew, there are a lot of variables in there. Companies justify a merger based on cost savings or pro-forma reductions in SG&A. Those are rarely accomplished. They also pro-forma in revenue improvements due to 'synergy'. Again, rarely accomplished, especially if the companies are larger.

SG&A improvements come where the companies are of modest size, and they may not have the same efficient systems that larger companies typically do. Merging two highly-efficient companies is tough on the cost side, though revenue increases may come if they are able to be large enough to control production or inventory in the greater market place (see, for example, the results of refinery company mergers).

It is a fascinating analysis....

Oh, first off, I'm on the consumption side of M&A (who do we want to acquire), rather than analyzing post M&A activities. What I'm noting is that for supposed increases in efficency and quality, profit and sales do not move in check with the rise in SG&A.

I can stomach SG&A increase with minimal profit increase if revenue increases beyond the composite pace of SG&A and profit. It's just sad when revenue and profit move along slowly but SG&A increases over time, eating up any gains introduced by the processes and methodologies adopted.

I will also note the willingness of companies to saddle themselves with extreme (15%+ of revenue) debt is just scary.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Oh, first off, I'm on the consumption side of M&A (who do we want to acquire), rather than analyzing post M&A activities. What I'm noting is that for supposed increases in efficency and quality, profit and sales do not move in check with the rise in SG&A.

I can stomach SG&A increase with minimal profit increase if revenue increases beyond the composite pace of SG&A and profit. It's just sad when revenue and profit move along slowly but SG&A increases over time, eating up any gains introduced by the processes and methodologies adopted.

I will also note the willingness of companies to saddle themselves with extreme (15%+ of revenue) debt is just scary.

Hi, Andrew.

I've been on that side also... all the way through to follow-up. I tried to apply the operational lessons learned in the integration back to the decision-making process on whether or not to make/approve the merger. I'm using past tense because I'm looking for a new gig, and I don't know where I'll end up.

I agree with your paragraph 1, completely. As for paragraph #2, in a good M&A transaction, the profit will increase more substantially than revenue. However, ultimately, the valuation should be driven by free-cash-flow over a period of time (with a terminal value assigned based on the ongoing cashflow). SG&A eats into that cash-flow. Generally, doing a deal just to get revenue doesn't work well unless that revenue gain can translate into increased cash-flow/profit from efficiency. Growth is defined as the incremental return above the capital cost (debt cost + shareholder equity).

As for the debt picture (or leverage), there are several reasons that companies take on more debt:

First, there is an optimal range of leverage for each company. Equity is almost always more expensive than debt (because it's riskier), so the WACC can be brought down with more debt. However, if there is too much debt, the lenders see a riskier environment and raise the cost of debt. It is, therefore, usually less expensive to do a transaction with debt assuming that there is enough EBITDA to support the debt at a reasonable level.

Second, companies often overestimate the revenue gains they can make or underestimate the competitive reaction. This leads to overvaluation (either from a terminal multiple that's too high, or just outright overestimation of the 'synergy').

Third, some businesses can simply support more debt than others. Take the media industry, which generates huge amounts of cash-flow. That cash-flow is reasonably stable and reliable (unless management does stupid things, don't get me started). If so, the reliable cashflow can support a much higher level of debt than an industry that's much more dependent on raw costs and consumer preferences. The airline industry is a great example, DL filed for Chapter 11 this week because the cash flow was squeezed due to fare pressures and higher fuel costs - so much so that it couldn't support the $20 billion in debt.

Or, they don't realize that they have to earn more than the WACC to achive corporate growth! :hairraise:

Ultimately, it comes down to how sensitive the WACC is to revenue and cash-flow pressures.

I've probably lost you and everyone else. Sorry if it got away from me.
:redface:
best,
bill

Last edited:
larrysb said:
Of course, if you think you can make a cheaper/better/faster/prettier one, then go right ahead!

What one man can make and sell for a profit, another man can make more cheaply, with less quality and sell at a lower price. Buyers who shop by price alone are that man's legitimate prey.

bharris said:
What one man can make and sell for a profit, another man can make more cheaply, with less quality and sell at a lower price. Buyers who shop by price alone are that man's legitimate prey.

You couldn't have said that any better.

Just curious... If I've already got a panel mount GPS, and I output the position data to the 376c, wouldn't I get most of the benefits of the 396 at the 376c price? I'd have position info, weather, XM, just no aviation info on the little box. My panel mount 430 would handle all the other requirements like flight plans, waypoints, etc...

I like your idea of buying the 376a for the boat and the plane but I turned up one possible problem. As you can see by the quote from the garmin website they might lock you into the mariner package of weather from XM verses the aviators package that is more suited to aviation use.

"With a subscription to XM WX Satellite Weather's "Master Mariner package", users can see continuously-delivered weather on the unit’s high-resolution 256-color sunlight-readable TFT display. Vital weather data, such as NEXRAD radar, forecasts, and current conditions is graphically displayed directly on the unit "

AirBaker said:
Just curious... If I've already got a panel mount GPS, and I output the position data to the 376c, wouldn't I get most of the benefits of the 396 at the 376c price? I'd have position info, weather, XM, just no aviation info on the little box. My panel mount 430 would handle all the other requirements like flight plans, waypoints, etc...

wsuffa said:
Hi, Andrew.

I've been on that side also... all the way through to follow-up. I tried to apply the operational lessons learned in the integration back to the decision-making process on whether or not to make/approve the merger. I'm using past tense because I'm looking for a new gig, and I don't know where I'll end up.

Want to work in Plano?

I agree with your paragraph 1, completely. As for paragraph #2, in a good M&A transaction, the profit will increase more substantially than revenue. However, ultimately, the valuation should be driven by free-cash-flow over a period of time (with a terminal value assigned based on the ongoing cashflow). SG&A eats into that cash-flow. Generally, doing a deal just to get revenue doesn't work well unless that revenue gain can translate into increased cash-flow/profit from efficiency. Growth is defined as the incremental return above the capital cost (debt cost + shareholder equity).

What really bothers me is that many "structural" improvements companies undertake make massive inroads in FCF, purely because the costs of consultants, new training, and process optimization require more staff to be on boarded, which directly hits the free cash in the company. Since I look at IT centric companies, what alarms me is that these operational methodologies do not increase what "the street" is looking at - FCF, shareholder equity, or profit, but negatively affects SG&A and the ratio of SG&A to revenue.

I'll note from this point forward this discussion is like a greenhorn working on the decks of a Bering Crabber - it's not pretty and I'm probably doing everything wrong. Programmer doing M&A work here folks, just move along :cheerswine:

As for the debt picture (or leverage), there are several reasons that companies take on more debt:

First, there is an optimal range of leverage for each company. Equity is almost always more expensive than debt (because it's riskier), so the WACC can be brought down with more debt. However, if there is too much debt, the lenders see a riskier environment and raise the cost of debt. It is, therefore, usually less expensive to do a transaction with debt assuming that there is enough EBITDA to support the debt at a reasonable level.

Of course - and debt load will vary by industry depending on what the market will support and what the cost of doing business is. But while lenders do raise the cost of the debt, I personally believe that the costs of debt are undervalued because of the loose fiduciary policy that is endemic to our economy today. Commercial paper for one company I was looking at (with about 16% debt, very poor cash flow, high SG&A and decreasing margins) was being written at 3%. Bonds floated in a similar time frame were at 7% and 8%. Why is commercial paper so underrated, from a risk perspective? Commercial paper makes up about 20% of their debt portfolio. Arguably the market dictates that this company is a greater risk but commercial paper isn't being written at that rate. That scares me.

Second, companies often overestimate the revenue gains they can make or underestimate the competitive reaction. This leads to overvaluation (either from a terminal multiple that's too high, or just outright overestimation of the 'synergy').

Someone I worked with said - "The best corporate salesman can overvalue his company, saddle them with debt, and convince the market paying a premium for a dead pig is the best idea, all while increasing the stock price and his own compensation package".

Third, some businesses can simply support more debt than others. Take the media industry, which generates huge amounts of cash-flow. That cash-flow is reasonably stable and reliable (unless management does stupid things, don't get me started). If so, the reliable cashflow can support a much higher level of debt than an industry that's much more dependent on raw costs and consumer preferences. The airline industry is a great example, DL filed for Chapter 11 this week because the cash flow was squeezed due to fare pressures and higher fuel costs - so much so that it couldn't support the $20 billion in debt.

Or, they don't realize that they have to earn more than the WACC to achive corporate growth! :hairraise:

Ultimately, it comes down to how sensitive the WACC is to revenue and cash-flow pressures.

I've probably lost you and everyone else. Sorry if it got away from me.
best,
bill

You never lost me - got foggy on WACC until I looked it up - but this was highly educational. Again, I'm a ex programmer who does business development and some market analysis; this is all completely foriegn to me and I've yet to develop a "feel" for evaluating the marketplace.

I'm in Plano late October, over a weekend no less. We should get together if it is at all possible...

Cheers,

-Andrew

mikea said:
It has always been thus. The Garmin Street Pilot was $795 when the GPSMAP 295 was $1495. The Street Pilot had MORE features - it had the turn-by-turn voice capability.

They could have a higher embedded cost for the liability of anything aviation. Any manufacturer of anything in the plane can be brought into court by the heirs. Witness how every accident is due to the Parker-Hannifin vacuum pump.

The real justification is they price not as pertains to what it costs to make, but as to what it's worth to the market. Microsoft prices Windows XP Pro at $300 and Windows XP Home at $200 when the raw cost of what they supply you with is less than $10.

Do boaters and their equipment manufacturers have to deal with lawsuits being settled for large $ to the heirs of people that don't boat properly but bring suit against equipment manufacturers ?

astanley said:
Want to work in Plano?

Sure. Dallas area is OK. If you're serious, drop me a PM & we'll talk.

What really bothers me is that many "structural" improvements companies undertake make massive inroads in FCF, purely because the costs of consultants, new training, and process optimization require more staff to be on boarded, which directly hits the free cash in the company. Since I look at IT centric companies, what alarms me is that these operational methodologies do not increase what "the street" is looking at - FCF, shareholder equity, or profit, but negatively affects SG&A and the ratio of SG&A to revenue.

Yes, but those costs are a short-term hit, which should lead to long term benefit. If you want to analyze them, take a look at the long term (5+ year) FCF benefit and do a NPV against the front-end costs of consultants, training, and optimization. In other words, treat the initial costs as a capital outlay to gain long term returns (accounting rules generally don't allow you to capitalize it, except in specific instancse). Wall Street eats that up. Look at what happens when companies like AT&T and Lucent announce major layoffs - the stock often goes up even though there are substansial restructuring and severance costs.

The theory is to analyze the short term hits to FCF as an investment against the long-term gains of improved productivity. If the rate of return exceeds WACC, then it will contribute to growth of the company.

Different story if the company mismanages it (e.g. the consultants become permanant, the optimization really isn't, productivity isn't improved, layoffs never happen, etc.).

I was involved in the growth and conversion of a major media company where we installed several nationwide automation systems, that allowed for more efficient operations (and, in theory, better product). The strategy I helped develop largely went out the window when we were acquired. I will reserve comment on how the current management has handled the process other than to note that the market hasn't been kind.

I also did major real estate consolidations where we bought out existing leases or burned them off. The effect is the same - you pay off or write off costs early on, but you look at the lease savings going forward.

I'll note from this point forward this discussion is like a greenhorn working on the decks of a Bering Crabber - it's not pretty and I'm probably doing everything wrong. Programmer doing M&A work here folks, just move along :cheerswine:

You're doing fine. If you want a good reading reference on valuation, I can recommend the book "Valuation" published by McKinsey. It's expensive, though.

Of course - and debt load will vary by industry depending on what the market will support and what the cost of doing business is. But while lenders do raise the cost of the debt, I personally believe that the costs of debt are undervalued because of the loose fiduciary policy that is endemic to our economy today. Commercial paper for one company I was looking at (with about 16% debt, very poor cash flow, high SG&A and decreasing margins) was being written at 3%. Bonds floated in a similar time frame were at 7% and 8%. Why is commercial paper so underrated, from a risk perspective? Commercial paper makes up about 20% of their debt portfolio. Arguably the market dictates that this company is a greater risk but commercial paper isn't being written at that rate. That scares me.

That's surprisingly low for commercial paper, unless the company is very highly rated. Typically, the rate for paper is based on the S&P debt rating for a company. "A" rated companies might well be in that range - you will find that top rated companies (like GE) will be fractionally more expensive than US Treasuries, which are considered to be low risk. So, if T-Bills are running 2.8%, commercial paper of 3% on high rated companies is not unexpected.

There are two other things that affect the cost of paper. One is term, the other is collateral.

Short-term or floating-rate paper will generally be pretty low. Investment-grade companies will generally be issued short-term paper at Libor plus a small fraction. My former employer was something like Libor + 0.25 on the short term debt, while the long-term and fixed paper was between 4% and 8%. The 8% stuff was inherited in an acquisition, and it was too costly to retire. Most companies have a mix of fixed and floating rate.

Collateralized paper carries a lower rate because of the collateral. In the recent real estate market, any paper that was collateralized by real estate would carry a pretty low interest rate because the real estate was appreciating. For example, we did vehicle leases based on a stated interest rate of Libor + 3/8 or 1/2. Because of the payment structure of the leases, the leaseholder had sufficient collateral to go forward. Risk was minimized with the floating rate.

Someone I worked with said - "The best corporate salesman can overvalue his company, saddle them with debt, and convince the market paying a premium for a dead pig is the best idea, all while increasing the stock price and his own compensation package".

My favorite term is "slap lipstick on that pig, and get it on the street". A friend from Oklahoma uses the term "looking up a dead mule's *$$".

Some management really thinks the synergy is going to happen. More often than not, it doesn't. Exception: acquisitions of companies/product lines that can be produced on spare capacity on existing lines.

You never lost me - got foggy on WACC until I looked it up - but this was highly educational. Again, I'm a ex programmer who does business development and some market analysis; this is all completely foriegn to me and I've yet to develop a "feel" for evaluating the marketplace.

I'm in Plano late October, over a weekend no less. We should get together if it is at all possible...

That would be great, I'd like to do that. PM me with dates, and I'll stick 'em on the calendar.

I've been doing this a number of years, yet even now I have to shake my head at some of the stuff I see.

best

bill

Last edited:
Back