Who's done IR and Commercial simultaneously

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
or close to that?

I've been getting hints that I could get some flying gigs from a local source (nothing too complicated) if I would get my commercial... it is a little tempting, as I will have all the hours required by the time I finish my IR.

Has anyone done one right after the other, and how did it go? My brain might be a bit fried after getting through the IR, it's tough.

Thoughts??

Go for it! Why not?

Compared to the IR, the Comm will seem so ridiculously easy you'll wonder if that's really it. You get to fly around looking out the window for one. The maneuvers are fun. I enjoyed practicing (and now teaching) the power-off 180's - they're a challenge but an enjoyable one.

Have fun!

Even easier if you did your IR training in a complex airplane as you should be comfortable in the airplane.

Pretty common curriculum for 141 schools.

Even easier if you did your IR training in a complex airplane as you should be comfortable in the airplane.

I'm doing my IR in my Tiger, but the flying gigs would also be in a simple aircraft-- so the complex training would be great for general knowledge, but not critical to the mission.

or close to that?

I've been getting hints that I could get some flying gigs from a local source (nothing too complicated) if I would get my commercial... it is a little tempting, as I will have all the hours required by the time I finish my IR.

Has anyone done one right after the other, and how did it go? My brain might be a bit fried after getting through the IR, it's tough.

Thoughts??

I did my IR 2 weeks after my CPL, it wasn't bad. The CPL is pretty simple if you know how to trim up correctly and manage the energy.

In a sense, if you don't have the 250 hrs met yet, then all your IR time is progress toward the commercial even if you aren't working on the commercial maneuvers.

or close to that?

Thoughts??

I did them both one right after the other. IR first and then commercial. I started in when the ink was still wet on my PPL so I had a lot of hours to build up. Got 40 of them out of the way doing the IR and then besides the usual commercial manuevers practice, a lot of just flyin around havin fun. If your brains a little fried after the IR take a few days off and cool it down. It may not be as tough as you think. Mixing it up with commercial training may be the best for you. Don't overthink it right now. Just get a good instructor, start and adapt the training schedule to what fits you best.

That's my plan IR then Commercial then CFI then Multi engine. I have plenty of complex retract time so commercial will be far easier for me.

Wait.. I'm missing something. How do you do them both simultaneously? Doesn't that just drag it out? I mean, I'm 10 hours into my IR. It'd be a distraction to throw the commercial stuff in, and then I'd still have to have a checkride for it... or is that combined into one IR/Comm checkride? That'd be cool.. then I wouldn't have to pay the DPE twice.

How does this save time / money / effort (any or all) over doing the IR then the commercial?

That's my plan IR then Commercial then CFI then Multi engine. I have plenty of complex retract time so commercial will be far easier for me.

If you do the CMEL and MEI first, you can do CSEL/CFI rides in a fixed gear plane. Around here, unless you own a SE retract, that's pretty much the only option you have left.

I'd imagine you'd want to do two separate check rides. I haven't taken either yet but I imagine both would make for a very long day.

I'd imagine you'd want to do two separate check rides. I haven't taken either yet but I imagine both would make for a very long day.

There was a post about a guy who brought two airplanes to do it. The DPE just tested him on the deltas since it was same day.

Again, if you do it in a 141 situation, you don't even need go for the DPE. The chief instructor (or whoever has examining authority) does the checkride(s) as part of the curriculum.

Again, if you do it in a 141 situation, you don't even need go for the DPE. The chief instructor (or whoever has examining authority) does the checkride(s) as part of the curriculum.

That's only if the 141 school has self-examining authority. Not all do, and some have that authority for some ratings but not others. Need to check with the school.

Wait.. I'm missing something. How do you do them both simultaneously? Doesn't that just drag it out? I mean, I'm 10 hours into my IR. It'd be a distraction to throw the commercial stuff in, and then I'd still have to have a checkride for it... or is that combined into one IR/Comm checkride? That'd be cool.. then I wouldn't have to pay the DPE twice.

How does this save time / money / effort (any or all) over doing the IR then the commercial?
The ideal thing to do is to cover commercial requirements while you're simulated instrument practicing for the IR practical. Make sure to cover all the cross country requirements for commercial.

The ideal thing to do is to cover commercial requirements while you're simulated instrument practicing for the IR practical. Make sure to cover all the cross country requirements for commercial.

Ah. Duh. That makes sense. Specifically:

* 10 hours of instrument training (IR takes care of that)
* 10 hours in a complex airplane (training for IR in one, so takes of that)

I'm less certain about the x-country requirements, but I'll ask. I'm sure you're right, but it looks like they specifiy things like "day-vfr" and "night-vfr". I'm not sure the instrument x-country would count for that, would it?

I'm less certain about the x-country requirements, but I'll ask. I'm sure you're right, but it looks like they specifiy things like "day-vfr" and "night-vfr". I'm not sure the instrument x-country would count for that, would it?

No.

I don't think training for them "simultaneously" makes any sense at all - The Commercial is a VFR rating, there isn't really any overlap.

Training for the commercial right after the instrument? Go for it.

Do you even need to have an instrument rating for this particular flying gig? Most things you can do with a fresh commercial are VFR.

The commercial without instrument limits you to trips within 50 miles in day conditions, for compensation. See 14 CFR 61.133(b)(1). A lot of stuff would seem to fit in that (e.g., sightseeing), but it still seems a significant limitation.

There's a lot of overlap. If you plan things right, you can save a lot of training time. That's true for PPL and IFR as well.

But you can't use the instrument XC for the commercial.

Another thing to think about is getting your ME done while doing your CPL. That may make more sense then doing the IFR (which is demanding enough on it's own) at the same time.

I'm going for my IFR ride on the 21st. The next step will be CPL/ME-I all at once.

The commercial without instrument limits you to trips within 50 miles in day conditions, for compensation. See 14 CFR 61.133(b)(1). A lot of stuff would seem to fit in that (e.g., sightseeing), but it still seems a significant limitation.

That's only with passengers. No such limitation for the kinds of jobs you'd usually be doing with a simple single like the OP described (banners, pipeline/power line patrol, etc.)

I know part 91 corporate passenger carrying operations exist, but they're not the norm. Part 135 isn't something you can do with 250 hours and a wet commercial ticket.

Wouldn't flying a twin make the commercial training much more expensive?

There's a lot of overlap. If you plan things right, you can save a lot of training time. That's true for PPL and IFR as well.

But you can't use the instrument XC for the commercial.

Another thing to think about is getting your ME done while doing your CPL. That may make more sense then doing the IFR (which is demanding enough on it's own) at the same time.

I'm going for my IFR ride on the 21st. The next step will be CPL/ME-I all at once.

You need to make sure you're reading the current 61.129, as it was changed a few years ago to "daytime conditions" and "nighttime conditions". No more VFR requirement.

Yes but if your goal is to get 50hrs MEL and move on to an airline it can make sense...

You need to make sure you're reading the current 61.129, as it was changed a few years ago to "daytime conditions" and "nighttime conditions". No more VFR requirement.

Interesting. Then, if you were careful you could count the x-countries if you did them correctly. I don't have the two lists in front of me, but I seem to remember that the IR trips are specified as total segment distance but the commercial trips are specified as distance from point of departure (straight line).

Of course it'd be more, but if you are ever going to get your your ME-I (and as a commercial pilot, why wouldn't you want it?), it'll be much cheaper long term to combine your CPL and ME-I vs. doing them separately.

Then you just do the maneuvers in a single as well so you've got both on your ticket.

Learning the maneuvers for the commercial doesn't take long at all. It's really getting the 250 hours required, getting the x-country done, and learning complex airplane ops. Doing both at the same time is doable.

1)PPSEL
2)IFR
3)Multi-Comm-IFR

Then you can add on the single comm in a 152 if you want.

In my case getting the IR done will take longer than the commercial rating. Since I already have complex time and long xc done the commercial will be piece of cake compared to IR. I bought a plane for training and flying so will probably hire someone like PIC to get the IR done in few weeks.

The Commercial is your reward for climbing the IFR mountain! You get your head of the cockpit and stir the stick and rudder. It's fun, do it!

Back