Who's an Airport Manager on here?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Curious how many Airport Manager's we have on the board. If you're one (or used to be one) chime in!

You expect people to admit to it on a public forum that can be viewed by young, impressionable children?

I was.................. Desert Aire Regional...........M94

api

Used to be at 6Y9. After dad got his private, I let him take over duties. Still assistant manager.

You know, I can't even think of an airport manager in the airports I've dealt with who was even a pilot.

You know, I can't even think of an airport manager in the airports I've dealt with who was even a pilot.
My boss, John, is the airport manager and the GM of the FBO as well as the chief flight instructor and a CFII and tailwheel expert. He is an excellent teacher. I have a lot more hours and experience, but I am frequently learning from him. I think that is because aviation is his life, while for me it was a bit less.

Nice flex, bro. :D

I identify as an airport manager. I mean, I know how to solve all the problems, and I have a 5 year plan. It's mostly "build more t-hangars".

Last edited:
Curious… why?
Some here may have the knowledge you seek, but may not have held the title.

While I bear no official title (well, I am on the board of directors). When you call the Airport Manager number listed at the FAA stuff, it rings my phone.

One of my best friends is airport manager of KRKP Rockport TX

Tell him he’s doing a great job with a great little field. We started going there instead of Mustang Island/Aransas Pass after hearing Jay Honek rave about the field.

Never looked back.

I identify as an airport manager. I mean, I know how to solve all the problems, and I have a 5 year plan. It's mostly "build more t-hangars".
My former home field got a new manager. Among the suggestions we all had was to build more hangars, being that there was a 10 year wait list with more than 100 names. He said new hangars would sit vacant because people had their names on the list but wouldn’t really take a hangar. Well, he did clean up the list and booted the people who were running businesses instead of keeping planes in hangars, and got it down to a four to five year wait. So obviously plenty of demand but still no hangars.

My former home field got a new manager. Among the suggestions we all had was to build more hangars, being that there was a 10 year wait list with more than 100 names. He said new hangars would sit vacant because people had their names on the list but wouldn’t really take a hangar. Well, he did clean up the list and booted the people who were running businesses instead of keeping planes in hangars, and got it down to a four to five year wait. So obviously plenty of demand but still no hangars.

It seems lack of hangar space is a nationwide issue. We have airports near my home with undeveloped area that could help, but I image getting city approval and funding is the limiting factor.

Our local class D demolished the T-hangars years ago and put up some big tent hangars that you can put a piston plane in ($$$), but they have to do all the handling and no maintenance inside.

I think @midwestpa24 is. Why? You planning on building an airport?

I've been accused as such. Part of the reason I don't go by my real name on here, being a "public official" and all. Although I'd bet a few of you probably have it narrowed down by now, or have met me in person.

One of the airports I was based at had the hangar waiting list problem 15 years ago. the airport manager at the time was deathly afraid of giving ANY optics to the community that the airport was "expanding". No shade ports (even over existing tiedowns), and certainly no new hangars.

The leaseholders also had rent control issues with the city (the leases were pretty controlling about allowable rent), so they learned that they made more money by razing t-hangars and putting up corporate boxes. 2x the space, 10x the rent. Manager gets to argue they are "reducing hangar count" when asked by city council.

Due to no hangar inspections, the hangars filled up as cheap warehouse space, boat space, RV space, anything-but-airplane space.

I know this is a third rail, but I do think airport managers need to charge appropriate rent to keep the funds going, maintenance going, and show vibrancy of the airport. I don't think it's a very fun job, at least not from what I've seen.

I don't think it's a very fun job, at least not from what I've seen.

It has its days. I like to think of it as being a Professional Airport Bum.

Unfortunately politics do come into play at times. Often no matter what you do, you are going to be on the wrong side of someone. For example, get tough on managing hangars, now you are on a power trip and hate GA. Do nothing about managing hangars, you are lazy and incompetent and that's why there is no hangar space available.

But I do get one heck of a view day in and day out, and get to spend the day in and around one of my passions, aviation.

Somebody hire this man!

Actually I've got a similar plan for c81. Now if anyone wants to spot me 8 million...

When I read the above, it started me thinking. I have hangared at four different airports and flown into I don’t know how many. The only pilot/airport manager I know of is the airport manager at my current home airport, KOSA in Mount Pleasant, Texas. I contend that it is maybe the best GA airport in Texas and if not, it is most certainly in the top three or four. So…. The question that brings: “is it a coincidence that such a fabulous airport is run by a pilot, and has been by the same pilot since it was built 20 or so years ago?

Liability concerns me. True story headed into Marshfield Wisconsin in a corporate jet. Got NOATAMS. Got advisories. Runway reported clear. Did an approach (localizer?? Can’t remember). Landed with nil braking action. Could not turn off runway as nose wheel just slid on ice with no turn capability. Stranded on runway in somewhat low IFR. I called FSS immediately to warn other AC of runway (closure??)
If another airplane would land it may be bad as we were stranded in runway

Fortunately several airport bums ran out to push us off.

I think “airport buns” are a thing of the past… of which I used to be one.

Liability concerns me. True story headed into Marshfield Wisconsin in a corporate jet. Got NOATAMS. Got advisories. Runway reported clear. Did an approach (localizer?? Can’t remember). Landed with nil braking action. Could not turn off runway as nose wheel just slid on ice with no turn capability. Stranded on runway in somewhat low IFR. I called FSS immediately to warn other AC of runway (closure??)
If another airplane would land it may be bad as we were stranded in runway

Fortunately several airport bums ran out to push us off.

I think “airport buns” are a thing of the past… of which I used to be one.
Airport buns are still around. Didn’t know that about you, that you made the change:fingerwag::goofy::rofl: etc. Dang it, can’t get the pic to paste. Hot babes buns climbing the stairs into an airplane

Last edited:
I’m on our airport commission. Our manager is a working pilot. Three of the four commissioners are pilots. We have room for more hangars if anyone wants to build. Our airport has always renewed the ground leases and has no desire to ever take ownership of hangars or fuel sales. The last four hangars built were all for personal use. The math just does not work for anyone to build rental hangars.

My home airport manager is a pilot. Started there as a CFI, then moved up and took over.

About 4 years ago, he spearheaded a major upgrade with a new runway several 100x100 hangars and 3 rows of T-hangars. Just are just finishing a new 100x100. And then plan on another row of T-hangars (and have room for 2 more rows).

Also, lengthening the runway by 1000 feet, and we get a new straight in RNAV approach being published in the fall.

Would like to be but not in a position to make a career change at this moment. Wanted to manage my hometown airport when they had a change of ownership 8 years ago but the new part owner wouldn't really give me the time of day and isn't paying much. Blessing in disguise.

Back