Who's a cruise addict?

For reaching or going down wind in fine seas, cats are great.

We had 18kts on the beam sailing from Gorda Sound to Anegada, and that boat chowed it down, we made a consistent 8.5kts. It was a blast.

Trying to go to weather, even under power, is an exercise in futility
I was the only sailor on this charter, so I was lazy. If any tacking was involved to get to the destination I fired up the diesels instead. Hey, this is supposed to be vacation, not kill the captain!

We had 18kts on the beam sailing from Gorda Sound to Anegada, and that boat chowed it down, we made a consistent 8.5kts. It was a blast.

I was the only sailor on this charter, so I was lazy. If any tacking was involved to get to the destination I fired up the diesels instead. Hey, this is supposed to be vacation, not kill the captain!

Yep, but even under power, once the seas exceed the height of the span between the hulls, you aren't going anywhere in a 'cruising cat'.

Never been on one, no plans to ever go.

Agreed. You couldn't pay me enough. I like boats, but spending two weeks cramped up in a floating retirement home has roughly the same appeal as a root canal.

Agreed. You couldn't pay me enough. I like boats, but spending two weeks cramped up in a floating retirement home has roughly the same appeal as a root canal.

Gone are the days of cruises being majority blue haired ladies and bums plucked from the streets to service them. Cruises are now mostly family affairs with a large contingent of 20-30s binge drinkers.

I wouldn't mind a freighter cruise, but I've never had any desire to try the more conventional sort.

I don't care very much for eating out, dancing, crowded places, rules, or prescribed activity schedules. I wouldn't mind some of the entertainment, which I understand is excellent; but I can get that ashore without having to tolerate the rest of the rigmarole.

A freighter cruise might be nice, though. I do love the sea. Maybe I should sign up with Henning as a deckhand.

Rich

Gone are the days of cruises being majority blue haired ladies and bums plucked from the streets to service them. Cruises are now mostly family affairs with a large contingent of 20-30s binge drinkers.

Depends on the cruise line. Holland America has a lot of old farts

We just got back from the BVIs, I tried a cat this time, a Leopard 44. Very spacious, my non-sailing friends loved it, but it is not as much fun to sail as a monohull.

I'm not a fan of cats.

Same here. I do not like the sharp hobby horse motions. A monohull will lull me to sleep in no time.

Love cruising in any form. "I'm on a boat mutha****a, don't you ever forget!"

NSFW language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

Last edited:
I can do the same thing on a 27' sailboat. I'm not disparaging cruises, they're just not my cup of tea. There are smaller cruise ships that I think are fine, Cunard's Flagship was (still is?) Diosa Del Mar at 330' IIRC and took 100or so pax. It was expensive as all get out, but 1st class all the way; still not yacht caliber though.

The cruises I like are the inland ones.
Cunard has 3 ships now, they are all big. The Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2, and Queen Victoria.

Ref: http://www.cunard.com, click the "our ships" button.
Not so much on Holland America ( as mentioned earlier) or NCL. Perhaps on other lines.

I wouldn't mind a freighter cruise, but I've never had any desire to try the more conventional sort.

I don't care very much for eating out, dancing, crowded places, rules, or prescribed activity schedules. I wouldn't mind some of the entertainment, which I understand is excellent; but I can get that ashore without having to tolerate the rest of the rigmarole.

A freighter cruise might be nice, though. I do love the sea. Maybe I should sign up with Henning as a deckhand.

Rich
You may have an interest in the ferries servicing western Canada and Alaska, some of the longer trips have sleeping facilities, and you can get on/ off at places the cruise ships don't go. I don't know where you might sleep in some of the smaller off the ship.

One thing I found out docked in Whittier for the summer, the cheapest way to get back down to the lower 48 is to walk up to the dock when a cruise ship is in and buy a ticket from the purser. People were getting cabins for $250. They figure they'll make it up on booze and gambling which are their major profit centers.

Been on 2 cruises..

Both Carnival..

Ms. Elation, out of Long Beach to Mexico ..

The other was a Alaska inner passage...

Gained 2 lbs a day,,, damn good food at the sit down meals, buffets were just ok..

The Alaska cruise was the week of 9-11-2001.. Ship held 3 grand or so people.. airlines were grounded up to the day of departure.. Maybe 1000 at most made it to Van, BC.. They fed us like kings... Next cruise for that ship was a repositioning one, so they needed to get rid of all the food..

My biggest beef is I wanted to see the engine room but that tour was cancelled for security reasons....

Hard to believe a 1000' boat is running 30 mph... I wanna see the motors..:yes::yes::yes::yes:

One thing I found out docked in Whittier for the summer, the cheapest way to get back down to the lower 48 is to walk up to the dock when a cruise ship is in and buy a ticket from the purser. People were getting cabins for $250. They figure they'll make it up on booze and gambling which are their major profit centers.

It's rather spartan, but one can get from Whittier to Bellingham for $136 on the Alsaka Marine Highway
See: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/doc/fares/S15_XGCabinTariffs.pdf

Been on 2 cruises..

Both Carnival..

Ms. Elation, out of Long Beach to Mexico ..

The other was a Alaska inner passage...

Gained 2 lbs a day,,, damn good food at the sit down meals, buffets were just ok..

The Alaska cruise was the week of 9-11-2001.. Ship held 3 grand or so people.. airlines were grounded up to the day of departure.. Maybe 1000 at most made it to Van, BC.. They fed us like kings... Next cruise for that ship was a repositioning one, so they needed to get rid of all the food..

My biggest beef is I wanted to see the engine room but that tour was cancelled for security reasons....

Hard to believe a 1000' boat is running 30 mph... I wanna see the motors..:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Remember, displacement speed is a function of waterline length. 1.34*sqrt of waterline length is your wave trap speed, after that you have to climb the bow wave, unless the length to beam at the waterline is narrower than 7:1. Most passenger ships will try to stay 1.25 or below to conserve fuel.

IIRC Elation is one of the Fantasy series, so it'll have 6 12 cylinder Wartsalias as Diesel Electrics putting out around 10,000hp each, and powering a pair of ABB azipods. They're neat engines, but if you want to see an amazing engine, get on one of the Maersk container ships with a single 14 cylinder, 100,000+hp engine. It's boggling.

It's rather spartan, but one can get from Whittier to Bellingham for $136 on the Alsaka Marine Highway
See: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/doc/fares/S15_XGCabinTariffs.pdf

After we drove up to Alaska, my wife and I took the inland ferry back by way of Skagway to Bellingham. We got off at Juneau and Ketchikan and spent a day or two at each to sight see. The ferries are smaller ships than the cruise ships, but we enjoyed them. If a person is willing to rough it, they don't need to stay in a cabin, as this story explains:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...2c3b30-39d7-11e4-9c9f-ebb47272e40e_story.html

IMG_26541411049462.jpg

Yep, but that doesn't include food and beverage. It is kinda interesting pitching tent on a boat deck though.

Who said anything about a tent? The price listed was for a cabin.

I want to hear from people cruising with family's with kids.
We eat at the buffet or speciality restaurants for breakfast and lunch and for dinner the dinning room sit down meal. Agree the buffet is ok food but the dining room is so much better. For late night snacks its room service.

There are some small boat cruises up the Amazon that my wife is interested in. Dozens of fellow passengers instead of thousands. We might do one soon.

There are some small boat cruises up the Amazon that my wife is interested in. Dozens of fellow passengers instead of thousands. We might do one soon.

Yep, that would be an awesome trip. The small boats on the inland runs are really the ones that are interesting. If you can find one that works the Panama Canal Zone, that's an awesome are as well, especially if it stops off at the research station on monkey island.

We've been on three cruises so far. They're pretty nice, a lot of it depends on the cruise line.

The cruising that I'm addicted to usually happens at 7500' or above.

We've been on three cruises so far. They're pretty nice, a lot of it depends on the cruise line.

The cruising that I'm addicted to usually happens at 7500' or above.

Agreed....

My neighbor has a new CJ-4 Citation... Riding right seat at FL 450 is the ultimate in cruising....:):):):):)

Flying is boring for my family. Can't compare to cruising on the open ocean.

To me cruising on the open ocean is boring, the view never changes except for when the ocean is beating the snot out you.:lol: Then the thought of 6000 people all in one boat vomiting rears its ugly head. That's why I would need a cabin with a balcony.

Just got back from my sixth cruise. It was our first on Norwegian (previously all Royal Carib or Celebrity), our first on a true mega-ship (100,000 tons plus), and the first where I was disappointed.

The ship was unbelievably crowded compared to others I've been on--it carries nearly twice the passengers of Celbrity's Summit but has about the same pool area, and other public spaces were often only marginally larger. There are a lot of extra, but the massive ropes course, etc. took up a giant chunk of the upper decks where the vast majority of folks wanted to relax by the pool.

They also have a lot of small bars (some seating only 30 or 40 people) and restaurants on the ship rather than a few large ones. That is fine, except only one or two of the bars generally have entertainment. Good luck finding a seat at those!

The service was bad. I have never been treated rudely by staff on a ship before. Boarding was a fiasco, the only way to get information about anything was to walk to guest services (they never answered the phone), and if you could get ahold of someone you could expect to be told "That's not my job". On Royal or Celebrity everyone on the ship I ever asked for anything at least made an effort to put me in touch with someone that could help me. I'm not high mainteance; I have questions like how do I return towels after the towel return closes at 7pm or how do I make a reservation for a show when the in-cabin TV system isn't working. Neither of those were ever answered by the way!

Part of the issue is the staff was just miserable. I think having 1600 crew on a ship with 4700 passengers is not a ratio conducive to good service. Even the Norwegian cruise line loyalists on the ship were very upset with the service.

That said, some things were great. The entertainment was the best I've seen on a ship, our cabin was spacious and comfortable, and food was on par with other lines. The cabin was the highpoint--our first aft balcony. Without it I would have gone insane in the hyper-crowded public spaces. Going up to the pools for a few minutes, then walking down a couple flights and relaxing while overlooking the wake was far more tolerable than trying to stake out one of the deck chairs amidst the incredible crowd.

In short, though there were some high points, hardly a relaxing trip. I'd possibly consider another Norwegian cruise, but not on the Breakaway or its sister ships. To few crew resulting in overworked, angry staff combined with a poorly designed ship without sufficient public spaces--no thank you!

Just got back from my sixth cruise. It was our first on Norwegian (previously all Royal Carib or Celebrity), our first on a true mega-ship (100,000 tons plus), and the first where I was disappointed.

The ship was unbelievably crowded compared to others I've been on--it carries nearly twice the passengers of Celbrity's Summit but has about the same pool area, and other public spaces were often only marginally larger. There are a lot of extra, but the massive ropes course, etc. took up a giant chunk of the upper decks where the vast majority of folks wanted to relax by the pool.

They also have a lot of small bars (some seating only 30 or 40 people) and restaurants on the ship rather than a few large ones. That is fine, except only one or two of the bars generally have entertainment. Good luck finding a seat at those!

The service was bad. I have never been treated rudely by staff on a ship before. Boarding was a fiasco, the only way to get information about anything was to walk to guest services (they never answered the phone), and if you could get ahold of someone you could expect to be told "That's not my job". On Royal or Celebrity everyone on the ship I ever asked for anything at least made an effort to put me in touch with someone that could help me. I'm not high mainteance; I have questions like how do I return towels after the towel return closes at 7pm or how do I make a reservation for a show when the in-cabin TV system isn't working. Neither of those were ever answered by the way!

Part of the issue is the staff was just miserable. I think having 1600 crew on a ship with 4700 passengers is not a ratio conducive to good service. Even the Norwegian cruise line loyalists on the ship were very upset with the service.

That said, some things were great. The entertainment was the best I've seen on a ship, our cabin was spacious and comfortable, and food was on par with other lines. The cabin was the highpoint--our first aft balcony. Without it I would have gone insane in the hyper-crowded public spaces. Going up to the pools for a few minutes, then walking down a couple flights and relaxing while overlooking the wake was far more tolerable than trying to stake out one of the deck chairs amidst the incredible crowd.

In short, though there were some high points, hardly a relaxing trip. I'd possibly consider another Norwegian cruise, but not on the Breakaway or its sister ships. To few crew resulting in overworked, angry staff combined with a poorly designed ship without sufficient public spaces--no thank you!

Must be a business model for that cruise line...

IIRC 90% of all the cruise lines are owned by the same company...:confused::confused:

Henning ??:dunno::dunno:

IIRC 90% of all the cruise lines are owned by the same company...:confused::confused:

Carnival owns like 8 and Royal Caribbean owns 5 or 6. The majority of the others are independent.

Not completely, but Carnival is the biggie with Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Princess, Holland America, P&O, Seaborne, and one or two others.

Royal Carribean is number 2 with Royal Carribean and Celebrity as well as a couple or three more.

Norwegian Cruise Lines is number 3 with NCL, Oceania, and Regent Seven Seas; Oceania is supposed to be their premier line, but I haven't seen one of them, I had a stew that came off one and she said it was nice.

MSC Cruises (Mediterranean Shipping Company's cruise arm, you can also get a cabin on their freighters) rounds out the big 4.

There are still quite a few other smaller operators out there as well operating smaller vessels.

We did a short "regular" cruise once and it's "meh". I did eat a lot of smoked salmon and bagels since the sandwich place had the stuff. Heh. Mmm. Capers too. We dined one night in the formal dining room and didn't care too much about it. Great folks working that room and very professional but the last thing I want to do on vacation is put on fancy clothes and sit in a dining room more than once.

But we finally "got around to" joining these folks three years ago, missed it last year, and won't be missing it again anytime soon.

http://www.therockboat.com

I had emails from Andy at Sixthman from his AOL account or some such the first year and thought "we should do that" back when they were 250 people in a back corner with a stage on a regular cruise ship and Andy was by himself with no staff other than hiring sound guys and renting a stage.

Sixthman has grown considerably since those days and was bought by Norwegian last year (so we'll see if they totally screw it up) which solidifies a very long relationship between the companies.

Meanwhile we noticed Andy is still sailing on the boats and still making sure the concert and the experience are top notch for music lovers. If this one isn't your thing, they've got a ton of different styles and themes of music now.

He really is a music fanatic. He loves producing concerts and mixed that with the cruise ships for a very unique experience.

You can't even pay for the concert tickets to see all the bands that have joined them over the years for the price of a cruise ticket, and while none of the ships are the newest and fancy "activity based" ships with the rock walls and stuff (they actually remove the old school water slide and cover the pool for more concert venue space on the main deck of the Norwegian Pearl but they do leave a section of pool open and a few hot tubs - get there early and you can watch a band from the hot tub if you like. I prefer a table at the second story bar with a bucket of beers myself if not standing on the main deck).

You start the first afternoon with concerts, go to bed, wake up the next day around 10 after being at concerts that last well after midnight, and do it all over again. For a week.

Four stages always playing and some smaller venues with solo artists everywhere you go on the ship. Intimate little gigs in bars, sometimes packed to standing room only, sometimes thirty or forty people. Main deck, forward lounge, and theatre are all set up as big stages. Smaller stages in every bar and atrium. Music playing everywhere. Total immersion. Don't like this band, walk 100 yards to the next one.

Many of the guests on board are lifers and have sailed all fourteen times. Others are newbies like we were, after saying we'd do it "someday" for 12 years. Shouldn't have waited.

It's a blast. On the last one we went on, the tenders back from the silly NCL private island (full stage set up and folks floated or lounged on the beach chairs to yet another two concerts while drinking overpriced drinks) some guy started a famous rock songs sing along that lasted the entire way back to the ship. Hilarious when folks forgot words, etc.

We also met "Bob". Bob is an IT manager from the Midwest. Sometime in the last 15 years Bob has become a legend of the boat. People walk around with buttons on that say they're "friends of Bob". Bob likes everyone. And music. Bob was instrumental in the starting of the sing-along. Bob and I also talked at length about his job interview coming up about ten hours after we were scheduled to dock. He's just a super nice guy and everyone loves him. We now are members of the FoB and we will look forward to seeing him again. On the last night on board we were standing in the theatre and it was packed for the last night's event. We got there late.

The Sixthman folks were shooting video that night and having open holes in the crowd near the front just wouldn't do. One taps us and says "two?" "Yep!" "Follow me!" And leads us to the fourth row and two open seats. We are amazed and thankful and now partially deaf (it is rock concerts after all!) and we look to our left and... It's Bob! We high five Bob and yell (Hello!) a greeting with a smile (no way he heard it!) and totally jam for the rest of the concert.

Yep. I like cruises. But they need to have something kick ass on board like that. 20-25 bands, four main stages, stuff playing everywhere.

Hell, we got a concert in the elevator from one of the bands one night. They played a lady's favorite song for her birthday on the spot. Acoustic style. Drummer using the elevator walls for percussion.

Love love love it. Here's hoping Andy and Sixthman continue to have great success with their new owners.

Can't say I'm a cruise addict, as I've only been on two, but my wife and I enjoyed it enough. It certainly insulates you from wherever you're traveling. You're not going to experience Alaska on an Alaska cruise - you'll get little postcard sized tastes of it in a controlled environment, but that's about it.

That said, some people are cool with that. If you're just looking for a (relatively) cheap vacation where you can turn your brain off and let someone else handle everything, cruising can be nice. It's certainly completely stress free, and if you do your homework with regard to the ship and the expected number of people on it, you can avoid issues with crowding.

I agree with Henning - my wife and I consider a balcony room to be a minimum. Sometimes you just want to get away from everything, and having a balcony ensures that there's always have a quiet outdoor location on the ship available. Plus, I like leaving the sliding door open at night to hear the sounds of the water.

I want to hear from people cruising with family's with kids.
We eat at the buffet or speciality restaurants for breakfast and lunch and for dinner the dinning room sit down meal. Agree the buffet is ok food but the dining room is so much better. For late night snacks its room service.

We are taking the kids, ages 8 and 6, on their first cruise in August. This will be Bryan's and my 5th. We've done 3 with Carnival & 1 with Norwegian. We preferred Carnival, so that's what we're doing again. We're going on the Carnival Freedom, which I guess was renovated fairly recently, and it looks awesome. It will be our first time with a balcony; we've always just had a window, so I'm excited for this. Our son seems most excited about the food -he could eat nonstop, so when we've told him about all the food, he's been talking about that more than the water slide, mini golf, and other things the ship offers. :lol:

I agree with you that, for a family, it seems like a good way to travel. We've really enjoyed the cruises we've taken -though these were all pre-kids, so there were fairly big alcohol tabs at the end of the trip. Bryan's a little nervous about the stops -we're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel. I have never felt unsafe when we've done the excursions, so I'm not overly worried. Though, now I have two little ones and it's been 8 years since we last cruised. I am excited to introduce the kids to some new countries -they've never left the US before. They are good travelers, so I am very excited to see their reaction to the ship and to the various countries. They are worried about being able to communicate, though I have assured them that the people we'll meet will speak English. :)

Where did you cruise to? How old are your kids? What excursions did you do?

Last edited:
Grand Cayman and Cozumel are no worry at all, and as long as you stick to the cruise ship area of Jamaica you'll all be fine. Renting a car there and exploring would be ill advised.

Bryan's a little nervous about the stops -we're going to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel.
Not to worry. Cozumel is fully touristed and safe, and the biggest danger on Grand Cayman is being accosted by street urchins in three-piece Armani suits hawking mutual funds (I'm kidding, but not by much). Shopping in town is fun.

In Jamaica, stay with your excursion group and you'll be fine. We took the excursion to Dunns River Falls and it was (yawn) pleasant enough, but the coach ride went through some, um, interesting neighborhoods. Traffic on the highway can be exciting as well. If I were doing it again I'd probably spend port day in Jamaica on a quiet deck chair on the ship enjoying the view.

Its a tradition for a couple we often take...don't know why they do it but I know exactly the same routine on a different boat...

Actually, that is the most useful song onboard. We play it loud as we prep the boat for sea when the owner insists on pressing out into weather to make his schedule. Usually they end up nixing the run about halfway through.

I bet...... It does get people to think how small humans are in the big picture of life...

Back