Whopper-jawed Squawk Codes

ETres

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ETres
Essplain how this happened: I requested and received VFR Flight Following from Approach and was assigned a squawk of 7524. I wrote it down, read it back, entered 7524 in the transponder - all good. Later I was transferred to Center. Center seemed confused as to my identity, then finally said I should be squawking 7425. So I changed it to 7425 from 7524.

How did that happen? Does ATC sometimes miscommunicate with one another on codes? Or perhaps Approach read "7524" to me, but intended to say "7425," but never noticed?

Sounds like a human error. Something we’re all susceptible to at one point or another.

Essplain how this happened: I requested and received VFR Flight Following from Approach and was assigned a squawk of 7524. I wrote it down, read it back, entered 7524 in the transponder - all good. Later I was transferred to Center. Center seemed confused as to my identity, then finally said I should be squawking 7425. So I changed it to 7425 from 7524.

How did that happen? Does ATC sometimes miscommunicate with one another on codes? Or perhaps Approach read "7524" to me, but intended to say "7425," but never noticed?

Which Approach Control was it? Did they ever say Radar Contact or did you first hear that from the Center? How much later was later?

Any chance it's on LiveATC?

Back