Whoa. Almost forgot.

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Last time I took myself out there was in early November.

So a couple days ago I had an unexpected free morning - no clients, no calls, nothing pressing to finalize and submit to anyone. Beautiful norcal day. And suddenly the thought hit me - there's this plane sitting there in a hangar...

I didn't have tons of time, but figured even taking it up and down a few times would be good to refresh muscle memory, not to mention become current.

This is by far the longest stretch of time I've gone without flying, and as I turned base towards my first touch-n-go, I started remembering all those warnings about how this is a deteriorating skill... holy batman, people, I was landing in a 182 on a 2770x75 runway, and it felt like a friggin postage stamp. I swear I must have looked drunk to any outside observer. Center line? what's that again? how about landing on one wheel with the nose pointing, ah, back towards the center line? yes, it was a fairly calm day, winds were under 5kn. And I have to say, yet again, that my primary instructor's insistence that the most important thing is airspeed management proved right - if I were coming in hot with that crazy of a touchdown, it would not have ended up well.

At least I didn't forget to turn off carb heat, put flaps up and pick up ground speed for the next go.

Second round was rough but more or less centered. Third and fourth rounds were probably good enough to pass a checkride, but I was determined to hit my own standards, and finally did it on the fifth go - a smooth, soft and centered touchdown right past the numbers.

Great, huh? except it was the FIFTH attempt. :mad2: :redface:

Oh, how I missed flying.

Agreed, glad to see you got to fly!

I find that full stops and taxi back help me think about what I just did or didn't do and what to change next circuit.

I find that full stops and taxi back help me think about what I just did or didn't do and what to change next circuit.

Eric! You're alive! (Nice to see ya. Haven't seen your airplane around lately!)

I can sympathize. I'm finally getting out tomorrow morning for the first time since Nov. 5... A CFI buddy is coming along to keep me from doing something stupid. So far, the wx forecast is holding up. 10k clgs and light surface winds.

I went up on Tuesday with my instructor. First since October. :eek:

I haven't been up since October. Weather is finally, and I hope for good, turning to spring. If the weather holds this weekend, it's out to the airport for an oil change and a few laps around the pattern.

Last time I took myself out there was in early November.

So a couple days ago I had an unexpected free morning - no clients, no calls, nothing pressing to finalize and submit to anyone. Beautiful norcal day. And suddenly the thought hit me - there's this plane sitting there in a hangar...

I didn't have tons of time, but figured even taking it up and down a few times would be good to refresh muscle memory, not to mention become current.

This is by far the longest stretch of time I've gone without flying, and as I turned base towards my first touch-n-go, I started remembering all those warnings about how this is a deteriorating skill... holy batman, people, I was landing in a 182 on a 2770x75 runway, and it felt like a friggin postage stamp. I swear I must have looked drunk to any outside observer. Center line? what's that again? how about landing on one wheel with the nose pointing, ah, back towards the center line? yes, it was a fairly calm day, winds were under 5kn. And I have to say, yet again, that my primary instructor's insistence that the most important thing is airspeed management proved right - if I were coming in hot with that crazy of a touchdown, it would not have ended up well.

At least I didn't forget to turn off carb heat, put flaps up and pick up ground speed for the next go.

Second round was rough but more or less centered. Third and fourth rounds were probably good enough to pass a checkride, but I was determined to hit my own standards, and finally did it on the fifth go - a smooth, soft and centered touchdown right past the numbers.

Great, huh? except it was the FIFTH attempt. :mad2: :redface:

Oh, how I missed flying.

You're killing me. I live in the Syracuse, NY area, look it up as my plane is just north of Syracuse. I have snow banks 10 - 15 feet high. Haven't looked at a hanger or plane since October. I have about 4500' to work with though.

Back