Who ya callin' a turkey? (SA - sorta aviation)

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I thought I'd seen some turkeys around here do some odd stuff, but this is the first time I ever saw one perched on the roof of our picnic shelter...

Attachments

• 6097.jpg
    6097.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 27
Take him down with a .22. A shotgun would do too much damage to the building. Yumm!

We had a family of turkeys that lived in our backyard in New Hampshire (and apparently a bear) but they never did anything quite like that. They did, however, enjoy standing on the runway even as we taxied up to them, trying to "encourage" them to move with our engine noise. Dumb birds.

How'd she get up there?

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys couldn't fly."

Turkeys can fly, if you can call it that. They have to be the most ungraceful landing birds I've ever seen. While deer hunting we see them coming off and going back on roost. It sounds like a crash landing every time. :)

I remember driving down a small side road in the Kettle Morane area in Wi, and seeing 3 or 4 turkeys in the road. This was on top of a hill, and all but one of the birds decided to run to the side of the road. One of them decided to fly down the hill. I just kept following an honking at the turkey, and damn near died laughing when it decided to make a right turn into the woods. I just saw this giant bird go ass over teakettle into the woods.

One of the funniest things I ever saw....

Pete

How'd she get up there?

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys couldn't fly."

They can fly -- they just don't do it often. I came outside one morning about a month ago with a cup of coffee. In the process I spooked 5 hen turkeys by one our bird feeders. With great gobbling, the five hens flew up into a nearby tree. They must have given me a (gobbledy-gook?) tonguelashing for about 5 minutes before they shut up.

He's just messin' with ya. The quote was actually

"As G*d as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!", Arthur Carlson, WKRP ... after a particularly ugly thanksgiving day "turkey drop" promotion. :eek:

He's just messin' with ya. The quote was actually

"As G*d as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!", Arthur Carlson, WKRP ... after a particularly ugly thanksgiving day "turkey drop" promotion. :eek:

Shows how much attention I was paying...

Good memory!

we got a bunch of turkeys that live in the trees at our airport. they like to come out and sit on the grass runway...between them and the deer its getting kind of old.

I remember driving down a small side road in the Kettle Morane area in Wi, and seeing 3 or 4 turkeys in the road. This was on top of a hill, and all but one of the birds decided to run to the side of the road. One of them decided to fly down the hill. I just kept following an honking at the turkey, and damn near died laughing when it decided to make a right turn into the woods. I just saw this giant bird go ass over teakettle into the woods.

One of the funniest things I ever saw....

Pete

About 2 months ago a turkey flew into the side of the front bumper of my wife's truck. Dang near tore the whole bumper off the mount!

Back