Who understands what the heck they're talking about?

Did you follow what chuck , Jess and crew were talking about?

• Total voters
Check the ball bearings. Everything's ball bearings these days.

you shoulda seen it when jesse and FlyNE and others would get going in flashchat about this stuff. its like they start speaking another language and i am just an outcast.

I recognized it as a Unix mutant varient. I did a lot of unix work on IBM RS-6000 boxed in the early 90's, but haven't used any unix box since 1997. I haven't kept up at all with linux and the rest.

Hell, I can't even remember vi anymore :(

Adam, 2 things come to mind.

1) No one is forcing you to read it.

2) Uh, I forget....

C) Chuck is about to crash POA.

Ah Adam, we could leave 'em in the dust with words like collateral estoppel, writ of mandamus and forum non conviens.

Wait, I don't understand what those mean either....

infotango said:
Ah Adam, we could leave 'em in the dust with words like collateral estoppel, writ of mandamus and forum non conviens.

Wait, I don't understand what those mean either....

But you'd probably have better luck Googling those terms... :D

you can google just about any question about unix as well. Google has become my tech doc portal any more ...

for example, google unix top topcpu and one of the top links shows this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/top-unix

ah, good old VMS ... life was so much simpler back then...

Last edited:
I understood every word, but I'm more out of the current loop now, so I learned a few things. I used to do that stuff for a living. Now I'm paid to provide the new toys for the front line guys doing the stuff. My fun comes because I can say "No toys for you!" once in a while.

All of that stuff, like top is on every Mac. I use it all of the time. Mainline Mac users blanch at the thought that such things are there. If it ain't GUI, it ain't there. They run in fear at the mention of a command line. There are Windows users with similar thoughts.

You're lucky they allowed you mere mortals a view into the inner sanctum.

Last edited:
mikea said:
I understood evey word, but I'm more out of the current loop now, so I learned a few things. I used to do that stuff for a living. Now I'm paid to provide the new toys for the front line guys doing the stuff. My fun comes because I can say "No toys for you!" once in a while.

All of that stuff, like top is on every Mac. I use it all of the time. Mainline Mac users blanch at the thought that such things are there. If it ain't GUI, it ain't there. They run in fear at the mention of a command line. There are Windows users with similar thoughts.

You're lucky they allowed you mere mortals a view into the inner sanctum.
I don't shudder at the thought of using terminal... I actually enjoy using it. I must say it was hell attempting to install django though. I don't know why but I just couldn't get it to work.

I understood a bit though my eyes glazed over about halfway through post 6. No interest in the subject whatsoever.

After too many years messing with computers, I've come to one conclusion: There's a good reason that if you got caught with a computer in the medieval ages that they would have torched you at the stake.

FDISK.EXE .. or a 40lb sledge .. or a 25 ton hydraulic press

Last edited:
Frank, still waiting for the video of computer drop from C-172 at 10,500' ... I have a couple of donors that could go for the ride...
Greg

gkainz said:
Frank, still waiting for the video of computer drop from C-172 at 10,500' ... I have a couple of donors that could go for the ride...
Greg

I'm a bit short on funds, a plane and a safe drop zone right now. It'll have to wait until after school in about 3 years. It'll happen, it's just a matter of when.

Donors have to be in excellent fully functional health, well, at least until impact.

I'll put you first in line for a copy...behind me.

Didn't catch much. Sounded like Greek to me! :D

I'm really good with a hammer though, I'll bet I could fix it good with my 10 pound sledge!:yes:

Slow running computer (check). Linux (check). Reboot server (check). call technician and write a check

AdamZ said:
I want to know if I am the only one who said "Huh? What the &^%$ are they taking about?" in reading this post.
When I see the words "server" or "Linux" I move on to the next post. I'm not for certain what the former is but I know the latter has something to do with a penguin...

I have just one word, "plastics". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I understood most of it. Enough to make me gag! If I wanted geekspeak, I'd stay in the office for another 12 hours a day. I really need a break for that.

gkainz said:
ah, good old VMS ... life was so much simpler back then...

For me, it was either VM (for office systems), or MVS for all of the engineering systems. Man, do I miss writing JCL cards (not), wondering how many cylinders this job will need, etc.

I do have to say that RACF was one solid security system, thoughj.

I got the ls -al > ls thing. Unfortunately, I was beat to posting it.

Frank Browne said:
When in doubt......use a hammer!

When not in doubt...use a rack between the float spreader bars with quick release pins cabled to the cockpit handle.

Back