Who To Contact?

John

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
So I'm just trying to refresh myself before beginning my PPL training again and I was curious about one thing. Usually I fly out of controlled airports so I'm in constant contact with ATC and communications are solid. I've never flown out of an uncontrolled airport but I know the phraseology to do so. My question is how do you find the right frequencies to contact for flight following once you leave your airport? If it's an uncontrolled airport under class B usually you'll find the freq on the sectional and I know some uncontrolled airports (out in the middle of nowhere) have it listed in the AF/D, but some I noticed only have an RCO or FSS frequency. In that instance, would you just call up the RCO/FSS and ask for the nearest Enroute or TRACON freq? Thanks!

So I'm just trying to refresh myself before beginning my PPL training again and I was curious about one thing. Usually I fly out of controlled airports so I'm in constant contact with ATC and communications are solid. I've never flown out of an uncontrolled airport but I know the phraseology to do so. My question is how do you find the right frequencies to contact for flight following once you leave your airport? If it's an uncontrolled airport under class B usually you'll find the freq on the sectional and I know some uncontrolled airports (out in the middle of nowhere) have it listed in the AF/D, but some I noticed only have an RCO or FSS frequency. In that instance, would you just call up the RCO/FSS and ask for the nearest Enroute or TRACON freq? Thanks!

I've not flown into every class G/E airport but every airport I have flown into has the associated/nearest APP/DEP frequencies listed in the AFD and also in ForeFlight. use the listed APP frequency for FF.

Usually look on airnav.com for the frequency. AFD has it as well.

Great question to start an even better conversation with your instructor. ;)

Just look at any approach plate. You should carry one anyway to have basic info like field elevation and ctaf. Much easier than a sectional.

Just look at any approach plate. You should carry one anyway to have basic info like field elevation and ctaf. Much easier than a sectional.

He's a student pilot. Why would he have approach plates? I would expect, however, that he has an A/FD, and the information should be in there.

Back to the OP...

I suspect that you are on the right track. They certainly should be able to help you. Keep in mind that at some airports you may not be able to contact the ARTCC frequency when you are on the ground. You'll just have to get airborne and up a bit before they can hear you to give you FF.

All of the above and don't forget just asking someone at the airport or over the CTAF.

City mouse country mouse. I almost never talk to controllers and feel a bit awkward when I have to. Frequencies are in the AFD or on the sectional. Really while it's a REALLY REALLY good idea you don't need to talk at all.

Back