Who needs an 8130?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
An 8130 form is also known as a "yellow tag", correct?
Who needs one?

I am selling a Garmin 430 I removed from my Lancair and received a question emailed from a guy in Italy asking if I had an 8130 form. I am not very familiar with them and just wondered when they are required and when they are just nice to have.

I'm no expert here, but if you had gotten your 430 repaired you would have an 8130-3. I don't think new avionics come with the form. It's an approval of airwortiness/return to service form. For aircraft components, which have been repaired, and/or tested, and found to meet the airworthiness criteria for that component. So you probably don't have one with your 430. But you can drop it off at the radio shop, and have it tested, and get one If you really need it to make the sale. But it will co$t you whatever the shop charges in testing fees.

Last edited:
An 8130 form is also known as a "yellow tag", correct?
Who needs one?

I am selling a Garmin 430 I removed from my Lancair and received a question emailed from a guy in Italy asking if I had an 8130 form. I am not very familiar with them and just wondered when they are required and when they are just nice to have.

The answer, as with all "I need a ... to buy your gear" is that the item works as advertized and if you need an 8130 (or yellow tag, or conformance inspection, or overhaul, or ...) is that the negotiated price will have the cost of the required paperwork tacked on.

Jim

An 8130-3 is simply a different form of a log entry. New parts frequently come with them too, and it will say "NEW" or "MANUFACTURED" in block 11. For units that were serviced in some way, "MODIFIED", "TESTED", "ALTERED", "OVERHAULED" or "REPAIRED" are common. If you sent it out for a battery replacement it would likely be called "REPAIRED" with the battery replacement listed in block 12.

If a unit is sent out for a failure, and nothing is found it usually comes with the 8130-3 saying "TESTED" and in block 12 it will list the maintenance data and task they performed during troubleshooting and "unable to duplicate discrepancy".

If you are selling overseas they may require tractability in the buyer's country. Depending on their regulatory agency it may even dictate that it must be traceability issued by an OEM approved facility, meaning an 8130-3 filled out by limited FAA repair station # XXXXX, (Joe Blow's Resale avionics) isn't acceptable.

The 8130-3 only documents that whatever actions listed in block 12 have been returned to service. The part can still show up DOA or damaged in shipping, so the 8130-3 itself can be just a useless piece of paper.

If we are talking prop overhaul, and you are researching AD's, that 8130-3 or yellow tag can be a big money saver.

Some shops require all parts to have traceability like that, it may be even written into their Repair Station General Operating Manual (an FAA approved manual describing how the facility must operate to maintain the repair station certificate.) So they would require it while Joe Blow's Fixing wouldn't.

Last edited:
Don't know how it works with avionics, but in the propeller world, they have to go out with an 8130 if they are being exported. Also, the propellers must either be new or overhauled if they are not the customer's property. In other words, a guy from Italy could not buy a repaired propeller that we had on the shelf. It could only be New or Overhauled.

We could send back a "repaired" unit if the prop was sent in by the owner - if Joe from Italy sent in his prop to be repaired, we can repair it and send it back to him, but we can't sell Joe a repaired unit that was traded in by Casey from Cleveland. The only way we could sell Casey's prop would be if it was overhauled and returned with an 8130.

Yep, Shorty's got it. It's called an 8130 tag.
It's frequently not a "tag" anymore. Just a standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. I got a stack of them folded up in the binder with my log books for repairs for various things.

Back