Who loves/hates their job

How do you feel about your work?

• I LOVE my work!

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • I HATE my work!

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Eh its a job nothing special to get worked up about either way.

Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters
I'm not going to say whether I love or hate my job but rather that I am scared to go into work every day, the climate in the office is just that bad. If I didn't have a year left on my contract I would quit today.

So, you are a member of Congress?

So, you are a member of Congress?

Thank goodness NO and no desire to ever be.

The closest I ever come is driving by the Capitol on the days I can't take public transit into work.

(and your comment did make me chuckle BTW)

Life is just too damn short to not enjoy what you do. If you don't enjoy it move on. There are a million jobs out there. It's a really dangerous attitude to ever think you can't find something better.

You said it. It can be nervewracking to confront a job/career change to get out of a bad situation, but, well, Jesse said it.

I absolutely love my job and feel very fortunate to have it every time I fly (P 91 corp)..and instructing when I have time. I can remember the jumping off the cliff feeling the day I had saved enough $$ to go finish my ratings full time and quit the miserable but well paying insurance job...life has been a blast since.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised how the poll is turning out. After talking to people in real life I would have thought the percentages would have been turned around the other way. Maybe people just like to complain in real life... :rofl:

What job? Rap sheet says NVSM. I'm an airplane guy and mom thinks I play piano in a whorehouse.

Buyer representation, appraisals, consulting, expert witness, tax/financial aviation stuff, yada yada. And yeah, the past two years have been less than stellar, but it's just something to do away from the house anyway.

The upside is that I get paid to hang out at the airport, something I'd do anyway when I'm not playing golf. The downside is that I actually have to produce results in order to get paid. So far, the novelty hasn't wore off so I'll continue to do it. They keep saying I should get a website, but I keep thinking that if I did more people might call.

I'm really surprised how the poll is turning out. After talking to people in real life I would have thought the percentages would have been turned around the other way. Maybe people just like to complain in real life... :rofl:

Or maybe they realize that, like Facebook, this forum is public and they don't dare indicate their dissatisfaction for fear that their employer will fire them.....

Yes, there are employers that will do that.

I love what I'm doing. But the personality atmosphere is toxic.

I would have to say for the most part I really love my job. I too have the same complaints about management but for the most part they are ok. Some days it is the greatest feeling in the world to save someone then other days when things dont go so well and you have to knock on a parents door at 3am on prom or graduation night not so well.

My job sucks. It makes me wasn't to go into sensory deprivation on my days off. But it does put food on the table and allow me to fly which I can't knock.

I must find a couple of weeks sometime to write my slant on it.

Interestingly, I am at the age where some of my friends are newly retired. That ain't all it's made out to be either, apparently!

Interestingly, I am at the age where some of my friends are newly retired. That ain't all it's made out to be either, apparently!
All my friends and relatives who are newly retired seem to love it. But then they claim I am retired on full pay since it appears to them that I don't work very much...

One retired pal is very active, traveling and always a new adventure - competitive shooting, paragliding, photography.
He misses having the stabilizing influence of a workplace to go to, and a schedule! Feels like life has lost its meaning!
Of course, the grass is always _______!

My work environment currently is very toxic and tough these days. Currently looking for an alternative. Pay also sucks currently, but that's my choice for not chasing better paying options. I'm looking for a change to that one too, in short order. I'd say I'm satisfied with 30% of my total month, and even that part (the flying) is getting painful. I don't look forward to going to do it anymore, it just became bureaucratic drudgery. Being an "80% philosophy" kinda guy, I'm doing the math (30<80) and it looks like I'm gonna look for a different employment outlet. I'm grounded in the fact that one shouldn't and will not ever attain 100, but 30 is a clean kill for change.

Like jesse said, life's too short to get stuck doing something you hate. All I would add to that is: "...especially when you're not even getting paid well for your troubles in the first place!". I'm done with the starving artist stuff. Honestly, at this point I'd break rocks for a living if it afforded me the ability to meet my family's need and left enough extra cash to comfortably afford me an RV-6A and the time to fly it with friends and family to my heart's content......

And ditto on the poll, people are statistically biased to under-represent their dissatisfaction with their employer for fear of reprisal. Simple survival instinct. It's sheepish, but reasonable to expect out people.

Primary job is to drive this around:
pic1.jpg

Henning: What are the stats of your ship? I sent a picture of her to my former wife in Fort Lauderdale and she sent back the following response:

"LOOKS LIKE THE LAST BIG BOAT I WORKED ON...101'....3 DECKS."

She'll arrive here on May 24 for a month but will have to suffer with my 20'
cuddy cabin I/O Merc Cruiser.

HR

HR

At your age Jerry that is definitely TMI!

:)

Henning: What are the stats of your ship? I sent a picture of her to my former wife in Fort Lauderdale and she sent back the following response:

"LOOKS LIKE THE LAST BIG BOAT I WORKED ON...101'....3 DECKS."

HR

112', 3300 nm @ 10.5kt cruise, total of 16 berths. Your basic floating condo that was marketed as an Expedition Boat.

Last edited:
Hell of an endorsement. What do you like best about it?:rofl:
112', 3300 nm @ 10.5kt cruise, total of 16 berths holds. Your basic floating condo that was marketed as an Expedition Boat.

Pharmaceutical R&D. It's nice to see that the work you do directly translates to improved health for people. My doctor even prescribed to me one of the drug products I helped develop! :)
Med Chem? BioChem?

At your age Jerry that is definitely TMI!
:)

:eek:) I'm Touched, Moved, and Inspired by your enthusiasm. The oddity is that I taught her sailing when I had the Luders 30; she got good at it, became a sailmaker for Hard Sails(their slogan was "Sail with a Hard on"), then she got to crew on sail and power boats up to 103' long, spending sea time in the areas south of Florida before settling in Lawrenceville, GA and Fort Lauderdale.
If we're still speaking at the end of June she'll be back for the month of August(can't miss the annual Maine Lobster Festival).

HR

It's a mixed bag. Compared to my last job, I really miss training people and getting paid enough that I didn't even have to think about $$$ before I went flying. Oh, and getting more "free" time since someone else was doing a lot of the driving...

Now, I'm getting paid 1/3 less and not getting the feeling of satisfaction from helping someone into a new, higher-paying career; I'm also having to deal with the food industry, which sucks balls.

But, there is some good: Every day is different and I'm in a different place with new challenges.

The bad: The vast majority of the general public has no respect for truck drivers, least of all the people that we have to work with directly. The place where I picked up my last load wouldn't even let drivers use their bathroom. Seriously, what am I supposed to do, crap in the parking lot? :frown2: And people are driving worse and worse every year. I would guess that of the cars I look into, 20% of drivers are texting and 50% are on the phone without a headset.

I feel a lot better since making the decision that I'm jumping ship come hell or high water this fall and going back to school.

Med Chem? BioChem?

Biochemical Engineering. I'm kind of a weird duck. I started out in Mechanical Engineering then got a Chem Eng degree in grad school where I was studying catalysis in jet engines. I wasn't all that satisfied with things and I switched to the bio side, and finally ended up in biochem engineering doing protein separation research. Now at work I'm doing solid dosage formulation development, again something different from my schooling. When working on my mech eng degree many years ago I would have never predicted ending up here.

My job is the perfect match for my personality. Chemical Engineer. Its structured enough to keep me focused but creative enough to hold my interest.

Even if I could retire, I'd still keep involved in certain parts of my job because I enjoy them. Riding the airlines gets old, but the meetings with collegues from around the world are enjoyable, so I'd keep up with the standards development and IEEE committees. But, being able to sleep in would be nice. :D

Back