Who is Next to You

Piloto

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Piloto
Travelling by airline is no longer the way it used to be back in the 60’s, and 70’s. Passengers used to wear their best clothing and flight attendants were models. My recent experience on airline travelling has been disappointing. Specially on who seats next to you.

On a flight from Miami to London I just sat down on my seat looking at the passengers coming in. Hoping that my companion passenger would be someone nice to talk during the next 7 hours. First a nice well dressed lady was in line. I was begging that she would be my companion, but no luck, she just kept walking. Next was this 300 pound/7ft guy that looks like an NFL defense guy that just came from playing the game. He sat next to me overtaking the arm rest and blocking my possibility of exit. I spend the next five hours trying to sleep over his snoring.

On another flight from FLL to NY with stop at ATL I finally got this cute lady dressed in a business suit. She smiled at me and we started a conversation. I told her that my plane was been refurbished with high quality materials and that I was going to NY to check on a new yacht. She told me she was a tax financial advisor and was returning home to Atlanta. To my surprise she asked for my business cards which I gladly gave it to her. She then gave me her’s which read

Carol M
Internal Revenue Services
Account Auditor
Atlanta, Georgia

Ooh well, hope I don’t see her again.

José

LOL!

Well, at least she was cute, right?

Okay my turn,

Flew on Southwest from DAL to KC when the blob showed up. Well sort of. I picked a nice window seat and had a nice man sitting in the aisle seat. And of course, last minute there was an overweight women that had to squeeze her large girth into our middle seat.

The big kicker was that she was carrying a hefty size Cinnabon bag and a large McDonalds soda in her hands. Seriously, WTF! She had to go to two places to get her fix. When the man in the aisle seat got up to let her in, she couldn't even manage to figure out how she was going to get into her seat w/ her hands full. It was so bad that the aisle man had to hold her large soda and cinnabon bag just so she could wedge herself into the seat.

I'd like to say that I stood my ground with the arm rest, but the shear horror of this women sent me clutching the window hoping none of her flabbyness would spill over onto me.....didn't work.

Last edited:
Okay my turn,

Flew on Southwest from DAL to KC when the blob showed up. Well sort of. I picked a nice window seat and had a nice man in sitting in the aisle seat. And of course, last minute there was a overweight women that had to squeeze her large girth into our middle seat.

The big kicker was that she was carrying a hefty size Cinnabon bag and a large McDonalds soda in her hands. Seriously, WTF! She had to go to two places to get her fix. When the man in the aisle seat got up to let her in, she couldn't even manage to figure out how she was going to get into her seat w/ her hands full. It was so bad that the aisle man had to hold her large soda and cinnabon bag just so she could wedge herself into the seat.

I'd like to say that I stood my ground with the arm rest, but the shear horror of this women sent me clutching the window hoping non of her flabbyness would spill over onto me.....didn't work.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why do the biggest ones end up in the middle seat?

So, here I am booked on Delta, Chicago to Houston. Too late to pre-reserve a good seat, was assigned a middle seat at the airport. Boarded, and the window seat is a guy, probably 325 lb; the aisle seat, a woman, at least 300. They were in animated conversation (probably about eating), and were touching (without trying).

No way, no how, I'd ever fit. Flight attendant found me another seat, an aisle seat, but I would not have ridden in that seat under any circumstance.

My mother was found on the floor and taken to the hospital (Florida)
I get on a plane (Michigan) to be with her...
As we get even with Ocala there is a chain of thunderstorms over Tampa so we get to hold - with one minute legs... We are in clear air and as the pilot is flying the hold I can see the highway intersection below us at the start of the outbound leg and I note with appreciation that the pilot has it nailed, rolling out of the turn right over the intersection every time...
I am reading a novel by a well known writer that has a hero, Jake Grafton, who smashes into the wing of a jetliner to 'shoot' it down...
The guy in the seat next to me is having a brain meltdown... Every time the pilot rolls into the turn - which is really, really, often on a one minute leg - he grabs my arm and says, "What's he doing?" He is sweating like a stuck hog...
For the umpteenth time I say, "He is circling to hold our position until they open the airport again.", and I go back to reading...
The Stu comes by and again tries to get him to relax, tells him that in summer weather this happens to them a couple of times a week and is nothing to worry about... Finally, someone back behind us growls, "shut up you wimp!"
So, he gets embarrassed and instead of being quiet he tries to make social conversation with me...
"So what are you reading there?"

OK, god is gonna get me for this, but I have had it with this guy and I want him to just leave me alone... My mother is dieing, the pilot is waiting out a line of thunder bumpers, and I am saddled with a sweaty chatty-kathy...
So I hold up the book so he can see the cover art, which is an airliner with the wing ripped off falling in flames... And I say in my best, bright, chipper tones, "Oh, it's a really good book about an airliner that crashes and kills everyone aboard... You should read it."
Where upon he folds over, buries his face in his hands and starts to moan...
Well, at least he isn't grabbing my arm and demanding to know, 'what's he doing now?'...
The Stu comes hurrying back up the aisle, takes one look at him and instantly glares at me... I give her the big stage actor shrug indication I haven't a clue what his problem is, and go back to reading my book...

denny-o
the devil made me do it

And people wonder why I think folks that large should pay for two seats.

Worst for me was once when I sat in an aisle seat in the back row of a Southwest flight. Window seat woman was 300+. I thought "No way will someone take the middle."

Until 350+ man showed up, because every other seat in the plane was taken. He took the middle. I was falling out of my seat. As soon as the seat belt off sign went off, I hung out in the back with the flight attendants.

On a AA flight from Madrid to MIA there were roaches crawling out of the overhead vents. The flight attendant tried to get them with a broom hitting half the passengers in the head. There was chaos because the roaches started falling on the passengers and they started exiting their seats. A women started screaming out and pulling out her bra to get the roaches out of her. What A show. Finally the Capt. came out spraying an aerososol can and more roaches came out. Everybody moved out toward the front creating a momentary pitch down condition and another scream event. I was laughing at the whole event. It was better than the Carleston Heston movie I was watching. I grew up in a humble house with roaches around so they didn't bother me. At the end of the flight I told the Capt. that was the best entertainment I had. Wonder if the roaches made it thru Customs.

José

Last edited:
I flew my friend's Acroduster down to SoCal for him and flew Delta back the same day. I just put my book, headset and misc stuff in my chute bag and carried it on. The plane was full and I got a middle seat and had to put the bag under the seat. I was sitting between two three piece suite guys and me being the bearded guy got the turned up nose look and they were not about to talk to me. When we leveled off I pulled my bag out to get my book and when I opened it the one guy sees my parachute and asked what it was. In a loud voice I told him it was a parachute. The look in those guys eyes was priceless. Don

A few years back on a SWA flight from BWI to Houston I was waiting in the A line when I overhead folks speaking French behind me.

I didn't want to be impolite and overhear and cause them embarrassment so I turned and said (in French) "Hello --it's nice to hear french -- I hear it rarely anymore."

We were soon in an animated conversation. They were African and very tall. I learned they were Hakeem Olajuwon's brothers and dad.

The SWA gate agent came over to the Senior Olajuwon and motioned him and the rest to follow. The tallest brother grabbed my sleeve and had me follow them.

We were boarded first in the emergency row. On the way in a steward looked at me and stopped me. That ended when the tallest brother said, "He's with us."

I had a very nice flight down learning about the Olajuwon's family and life in Nigeria, and my legs weren't cramped at all.

;)

l

Was on a flight back from LaGuardia (NY - a dump of an airport) to Chicago. Had the middle seat. Old man at the window and a heavy set women in the aisle. As I motioned my seat the woman said "Be careful getting in - my dog is in a carrier under the seat" I asked if she'd prefer to be in the middle to protect her precious dog. She said "Heck no!" So I scooted in as carefully as I could. At the end of the flight it took everything I had not to kick the dog carrier!

During the Viet Nam War I was traveling from Ft. Benning, GA back to Washington State in uniform. My traveling companion was a very good looking, well dressed woman about my age. She actively chatted me up during the flight. When I was nearing the end ramp, about to enter the terminal, she caught up with me, grabbed my arm, and continued to chat me up.

We exited the ramp and entered the terminal with her still holding my arm to be greeted by my wife and kids. :-(

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

When I was nearing the end ramp, about to enter the terminal, she caught up with me, grabbed my arm, and continued to chat me up.

We exited the ramp and entered the terminal with her still holding my arm to be greeted by my wife and kids. :-(

So what did your wife think? What did you do? Did you end up with two wives? Mormon? :rofl:

One day I was sitting next to a guy who does some kind of sales presentations to large groups. So, he definitely was a 'talker'. He said, "Nice to meet you. My name is Mel Blazer. Mel like Mel Gibson, and Blazer like the truck. I guarantee you'll never forget it!"

That was almost 20 years ago -- he was right.

Nineteen years ago I was flying from Frankfurt to London, and a tall handsome blond German man sat next to me. At the time, I was living in London and he was living in Toronto. Long story short, we got married two years later. Still married.

I was on a flight home from somewhere or other, sitting in the bulkhead seat at the front of steerage class. The stewardess sat a little unaccompanied 6-year-old girl next to me, asked if I minded. Now, I have five kids, and at that time the youngest was a couple of years older than the little girl -- so I didn't mind. She was a chatty little thing, and we were getting along fine when the stew came back and moved her up to first class so they could keep a better eye on her. OK by me, now I have both seats to myself (left side of an MD-80, as I recall).

So about ten minutes later the stewardess is back. Would I mind terribly moving up to first class? The little girl was asking for me. :) Nice kid.

My wife and I were on a trans-con to JFK, connecting to LHR. This was before I could sponsor someone traveling with me up to E+, so we were back in the cheap seats. She had the window, I had the aisle. The middle was empty. Looking good. Oops. Just before the door closed a woman with two todlers and a 6th grader got on the plane. The 6th grader had one todler and sat between us. The mother had the other one and had the aisle seat across from me. Now I'm being treated to babies with full diapers being passed across me. Half way across I headed back to the rest rooms. One FA asked how I was doing and why I was not in E+. They do have a list of their status holding passengers. I told her about my wife traveling with me. We agreed that having those little ones passed back and forth wasn't good, but the plane was full. So I spent some time talking with the FAs in the back. My wife and I were very happy to see that woman and kids go somewhere other than LHR with us.

My first rule of commercial air transport - as soon as you get in the seat, lower the armrests. You can always raise them later.

I forgot that rule once upon a time, and it was too late to do anything by the time I saw Shamu coming down the aisle, targeting the seat adjacent to mine. I spent the entire Atlanta-Detriot leg squished up against the inside of the fuselage. My faceprint is probably still on the window.

A TWA flight during a really bad, turbulent, flight, so bad I could watch the ice cubes in my cup levitate to nearly eye-level before the cup caught up with them. Was sitting next to two women who were trying to 'save' me.

Then there was the time the lady sitting next to me threw up on my briefcase.

What's the protocol for dealing with situations like this? If I pay for a seat on an airplane, I want the whole seat, not what's left over after the gut of the person sitting next to me spills over the arm rest.

I got stuck on such a flight from LAX to DEN. I had been home for my brother's funeral service, and I was miserable enough as it was. When I boarded the plane he was already there. He had the aisle, and I was in the middle. As I took my seat I could see sympathy in the eyes of the man sitting in the window seat. As I sat down I made sure to lower the arm rest, giving me perhaps a few more inches. When the man sat down he had to squeeze himself in, causing both of the arm rests to deflect outwards a bit. He had to sit with his arms crossed the entire flight, because his "side" was up against my shoulder, and if he had lowered his arms they would have been on my chest. Every time he would move or wiggle during the flight the arm rests would move with him. During the flight he kept falling asleep, and his arms would release and fall on my chest. I had to keep jabbing him with my elbow to wake him up so he could re-cross his arms.

What is one to do? I know I should have been more assertive, but the flight attendants had made it extremely clear to everyone while boarding that it was a completely full flight, and I HAD to be on that flight. If I voiced my concern, would I have been the one missing the flight or would he?

Was on a flight back from LaGuardia (NY - a dump of an airport) to Chicago. Had the middle seat. Old man at the window and a heavy set women in the aisle. As I motioned my seat the woman said "Be careful getting in - my dog is in a carrier under the seat" I asked if she'd prefer to be in the middle to protect her precious dog. She said "Heck no!" So I scooted in as carefully as I could. At the end of the flight it took everything I had not to kick the dog carrier!

I was on a SWA flight to Reno and the seats in front of mine were the front bulkhead. They don't have any underseat storage up there so this lady had her bag under my seat (before I sat there). I get into the seat with my backpack and try to stick it under the seat and I just keep pushing and pushing to try to get it to go. The lady tells the FA she has a bag behind her, the FA says that's my area and she needs to get it. I couldn't believe she pulls a dog in a carrier from behind my backpack. :eek:

Not my flight, but "Who is Next to You" can be interesting. My former wife boarded at Fort Lauderdale en route to Portland, ME to visit me. A lady of similar age sat over and a couple seats forward. Each, it seemed, had a change at Atlanta and when they re-boarded they were in adjacent seats. Long into lady talk during the flight, the former inquired of the other's destination. "Well, from Portland I'll be going to Brunswick," was the reply.
"That's funny; that where I'm going, too."
"That is a coincidence. What would be taking you to Brunswick, Maine, up from Florida.
"Oh, I'm going up to visit my former husband."
"Oh, that's nice; does he live there?"
"No; he actually lives in Topsham but he owned a camera store for many years in Brunswick."
"Bowdoin Camera Exchange?"
"Yes. How did you know?"
"Oh, I know Jerry." There was a pause ----- "Are you Val?"
"Yes." Another pause to think ---------- "Are you Rhonda?"

The two of them hadn't crossed paths for well onto 20 years until that flight.
It's a small(sometimes) world out there. Rhonda(now deceased) was the sister of Linda Greenlaw, famed swordfish captain, best-selling author, and upon whom the book "The Perfect Storm"(became a motion picture) was based.
If you ever run across "Sea Bags," carry bags made from recycled sail cloth(canvas), that's another product line of the Greenlaw sisters.

HR (RIP Rhonda; we miss you)

I was scheduled on a flight from SFO to PHL (yeah, long non-stop).

I'd eaten at a diner the night before and had AWFUL food poisoning. I couldn't afford the $500 change fee so I boarded the 8:20 flight with a bottle of Pepto in hand.

An older lady was sitting in my window seat, a middle aged woman in the center. The aisle seat was empty.

I looked at the middle aged woman and she said, "This is my mother's first flight -- would it be OK if she sat in the window seat?"

"No -- that's my seat."

I sat down and stared at the ground for the entire flight, feeling the ice pouring in from the aisle.

But, I didn't have the heart to say, "No, since I might puke if I can't look outside..."

Back in Winter 04, from SGF to DEN to SLC. The SGF-DEN leg was uneventful once we got off the ground (massive snowstorm at SGF, serious headwinds en-route to DEN. Had to run between the gates...

Get to the gate where the 737 is waiting on me, hearing my name being paged. Close call! Glad I made it, because I had a 172 training flight planned at U77 later that afternoon. Seated on the port side, over the wing, aisle seat. Nervously nervous business lady by the window, who's skittish and jumps out of her seatbelt any time the plane makes a noise. No-one in the middle seat. So I volunteer to explain all the flaps, slats, gear noise, &c to her.

A potentially unpleasant trip becomes pleasant, and she was happy. :yesnod:

Nineteen years ago I was flying from Frankfurt to London, and a tall handsome blond German man sat next to me. At the time, I was living in London and he was living in Toronto. Long story short, we got married two years later. Still married.

Wow. To add to the "good" stories, I was on a flight to the POA fly-in at 6Y9 this year. On the longer flight (the second one was 17 minutes) I took out my aviation stuff - sectionals, AOPA magazines, the works. Also, I'd found the pilots before the flight and told them I wanted to see the flight deck. A flight attendant came to my (now full) row and said "are you the pilot that wants to meet the captain?" and I said "yes". So this guy, sitting next to me, keeps me great company the entire flight - when we are not sleeping, etc. He asks, "are you a pilot?" and "what are they doing?" etc. I explain what I can to him in my limited knowledge. To my surprise, he is full of interest and questions. I never knew his name, and will never see him again. He was flying overseas. It made my whole journey so much more enjoyable, to have a companion, and a friend. An awesome trip.

Almost a decade ago a friend and I were on an airliner trip. He's married and I'm single. Every single flight segment he had a hot woman in the assigned seat next to him. Every single flight segment I did not have a hot woman sitting next to me. So cruel.

Almost a decade ago a friend and I were on an airliner trip. He's married and I'm single. Every single flight segment he had a hot woman in the assigned seat next to him. Every single flight segment I did not have a hot woman sitting next to me. So cruel.

If he is your friend then why didn't he switch seats with you?

I was flying back from Europe - there was a nice young lady next to me, I think there were two empty seats between us. We were in the center section of seats, so we each had an aisle seat. One of the flight attendants kept coming back and apologizing that she had to sit in coach. They kept bringing her drinks and food from 1st class. I got the impression that she was a family member of one of the flight crew and had gotten bumped from 1st class by a paying passenger. They kept coming back so often to apologize to her about having to sit back with the rest of us that I finally said, "Hey, I'm not THAT bad!"

Almost 4 years ago I was flying from Milwaukee to Baltimore to see my daughter swim in the Patriot League championships at the US Naval Academy. I had status, for what it's worth, on US Air, and got the exit row in a CRJ, which by the way is a Canadian conspiracy against tall Americans. (I mean, seriously, who puts the windows down near your elbow?).

I'm 6'2" but fit fine in those narrow seats as long as it's an exit row.

The flight was full, but no one was sitting next to me as we were nearing departure time. Sweet! But the door wasn't closed. Bad omen. Apparently they were waiting for a connecting flight to come in. Well sure enough in comes biker man. I had the arm rest down, and he raised it to get in. I lowered it again, and he wasn't happy. Then he asked for a seat belt extension. Seriously. He poured both over and under the arm rest. And then it hit me: body odor. And not of the arm pit variety. I literally tried to hold my breath for the duration of the longest flight of my life.

I'm not usually all that outgoing, especially on airliner flights. Just about a year ago, I ended up sitting next to a beautiful lady, who happened to be a head flight attendant for that airline, and was deadheading back home. A bit of polite small talk led to the improbable revelation that we had both shared the same boss (at different times), who was killed recently in a small airplane crash in Alaska. We ended up talking for nearly 3 hours. She showed me touching pictures of her young son, who she visibly adored, and her elderly labrador retriever, being spoiled sleeping on the bed with red velvet covers. I guess it is always a memorable experience, when you get to share life experiences with someone who is inherently happy, and who is openly passionate about life and their family, despite the setbacks everyone has at one time or another.

It was devastating to find an article about her in the newspaper three months later. A propane line at her house had exploded, killing her and her dog.

Sometimes, life just doesn't seem fair.

Something I jotted down for myself some years ago, but never passed on. This seems like a good place for it..

The Man and the Dogs

I was one of the last few passengers to board. I was on an Alaska Airlines Boeing 737, and after spending some time in Anchorage, I was headed back to work in Nome, flying mail in the Navajo. It was supposed to be a full flight – although it didn't take many people to fill the tiny passenger compartment in the back of the “combi” 737, which was mostly filled in the front with freight bound for the bush. As pushback time neared, people settled into their seats and the flight attendants bustled around the cabin. I began to relax – I had gotten the flight fairly late, and had to content myself with a center seat, with the prospect of spending the hour and a half to Nome crammed between the elbows of two other strangers. The aisle seat next to me was still empty, and we were about to leave. My hopes began to rise – maybe the passenger hadn't made it, and I would be lucky enough to have some room to stretch out a bit on the way over. But a moment later, my hopes were shattered – at the very last moment, a pretty rough-looking man appeared at the top of the steps and plopped himself into the seat next to me. He got up again, and pushed his belongings about, opened the overhead compartment, and began pushing the already-organized bags about, trying to jam in his own luggage. He loudly asked the flight attendant what her name was, and began to try to make small talk with her, seemingly unaware that he was delaying her from her required flight preparations. She tried to remain polite, but couldn't conceal an air of impatient annoyance, and soon asked him to please be seated so that we could depart. He sat down, and began to make comments out loud to anyone who would listen. The other passengers looked away and acted as if they were busy with something else- anything, just to not have to respond to him. So he turned to the only audience which couldn't escape, which was the passenger sitting next to him. Me.

I resigned myself to a long flight.

After about fifteen minutes of his random comments and observations, I was feeling resentful. I don't remember any of what he was talking about - it wasn't that he was saying anything insulting, or bad – it was just that he wouldn't stop. Although I couldn't smell alcohol, I wondered if he was intoxicated. My smiles and nods grew less and less frequent, and finally I resorted to my last means of escape – feigning sleep. It worked. Robbed of his last victim, he finally quieted down. A few minutes later, there was a chime in the cabin as we leveled out in cruise, and the fasten-seatbelt sign went out. The man looked restless, and kept looking over at the cabin window near the flight attendant's now-empty fold-up crew seat, as she was again walking up and down the aisle, this time serving drinks and snacks. As she walked by, the man politely asked her if he could go look out the window. She nodded an ok, and he unfastened his seatbelt, crossed the cabin to the window, and crouched down into a squat in front of the folded crew seat, gazing out the window. I noticed he had a contemplative look, and seemed content. The minutes went by, and there he squatted, quietly looking out the window. It was a clear, beautiful day to fly across Alaska – the kind which I would have my face plastered to the window the entire flight if I had the chance, and I remember feeling a bit envious that he was getting to watch scenery while I was stuck in my middle seat. But after a while, the flight attendant came up to him and told him he couldn't just stand by the window, he would have to take his seat again. I halfway expected to see an argument break out, but he just nodded quietly, returned to his seat next to me and sat down. I must have not looked asleep any more, because he said to me something to the effect of how lucky he was to be getting to fly, and how he couldn't understand how people could just sit there in the airplane and fly over such a beautiful state without even looking out the window. Somehow this struck a deep chord in me, and I felt a surge of respect for him. I knew I had initially dismissed this man as an annoyance, but I somehow sensed that there was much more to him than I had given him credit for. Reservedly at first, I began to actually talk with him.

It was nearly Iditarod time, and he talked about dogs. He loved dogs. He loved all dogs, and he wanted to help them. His dream was to be able to one day put together a sled dog team together entirely from rescued dogs, and run the Iditarod race. He didn't want to win the race, just to finish it. He wanted to show the world that there are wonderful dogs in shelters and what they could do when given the chance.

He already had two dogs of his own. At first he had just had one dog, which for some reason, accident or by birth (which I don't remember), had only three legs. A friend/neighbor/acquaintance also had a dog, but the dog got left on a lead while the owner was gone. The dog went underneath the trailer, and got one of his legs wrapped tightly in the lead, caught beneath the trailer. By the time they found him, he was badly enough injured that his leg had to be amputated. The neighbor kept him for a while, but after a while thought it was too much work to take care of him, and began to talk about getting rid of him. The man on the airplane thought to himself, well I have one three-legged dog, I might as well have another also, so he took it in. Now he had two three-legged dogs. Everyone around him was very accepting and compassionate towards his two three-legged dogs. Some of the neighborhood kids would come by and want to take them on walks, which he was happy to let them do. He thought they just liked his dogs. They always brought the dogs back safely, and the dogs seemed happy going on the walks. But he began to become suspicious, as more and more kids started coming by wanting to take them out increasing frequently. Sometimes they would come by and ask for the dogs as early as 6:30 in the morning. So he followed them, and found out that they were taking the dogs to the Apple (a grocery store in Mountain View). The kids were panhandling in front of the store and using the two three-legged dogs as a sympathy ploy. It seems that it was working so effectively that more and more kids wanted in on the scheme. He told me the kids were being nice to the dogs, but it didn't really seem right what they were doing, so he didn't let the kids take his dogs out any more.

I asked him why he was flying to Nome. He was going to a funeral for his recently-deceased girlfriend. His girlfriend came from Nome, but lived with him in Mountain View. She was native, and he said although he didn't like watching TV himself, she watched it constantly. He tried to get her to get up from in front of the TV, but she had a real temper. She would yell and kick and curse, but would eventually give up and come to bed. When he told me this, he didn't say it in a way that was judgmental, or disapproving, or even bitterly. That was just the way it was. Sometimes, she wouldn't even come to bed; she would fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV. One night he thought she had fallen asleep in front of the TV, and tried to wake her up to bring her to bed, but she didn’t move. She had passed away. He had never met any of her family or relatives, but the services were going to be there in her hometown of Nome, so he was on his way there for the funeral, and to meet her family for the first time.

By the time we had reached Nome, I was totally immersed in a fascinating conversation. We shook hands, introduced ourselves by first name, and wished each other good luck. We got off the airplane, and went our separate ways into Nome and into our own very different lives. I never saw him again.

I no longer remember the name of this man with the three-legged dogs and the dream of a sled-dog team of rescued strays, who I met on the way to Nome that day. I wish I knew how things have worked out for him. I will probably never know, but I sometimes remember our meeting of chance, and hope he finds a way to his dreams.

As I'm about to go BOS to SAN, and later returning via PHX, I'm not sure I'm thrilled to read about these experiences....

I'm not usually all that outgoing, especially on airliner flights. Just about a year ago, I ended up sitting next to a beautiful lady, who happened to be a head flight attendant for that airline, and was deadheading back home. A bit of polite small talk led to the improbable revelation that we had both shared the same boss (at different times), who was killed recently in a small airplane crash in Alaska. We ended up talking for nearly 3 hours. She showed me touching pictures of her young son, who she visibly adored, and her elderly labrador retriever, being spoiled sleeping on the bed with red velvet covers. I guess it is always a memorable experience, when you get to share life experiences with someone who is inherently happy, and who is openly passionate about life and their family, despite the setbacks everyone has at one time or another.

It was devastating to find an article about her in the newspaper three months later. A propane line at her house had exploded, killing her and her dog.

Sometimes, life just doesn't seem fair.
That's a very sad story. :(

I can't say that I've had any memorable experience with seat mates. Hope to keep it that way.

Wow, I'm on a roll tonight.. guess it's triggering some memories here.

On a lighter note, I got on a flight one night for a 3-1/2 hour flight down south. I had a center seat assignment. As I approached my aisle, fantasies of getting to sit next to hot women instantly evaporated as I beheld with horror two of the hugest guys I've seen in a long time sitting in my exact row - one in the window seat, the other in the aisle. I was to sit between them. I felt like looking around for a hidden camera. Was this some kind of reality show episode?

As I got ready to try to squish myself into the tiny remaining space between them, one of the guys laughingly said "so you're the lucky guy". The other guy said "sorry dude, it sucks to be you". I somehow managed to force a laugh.

Yup, the rest of the flight pretty much sucked. But I really couldn't directly fault the two guys next to me. It was because of them, but it really wasn't their fault. I think they felt as bad as I did, maybe worse.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why do the biggest ones end up in the middle seat?

That was a southwest flight. Easy, they are late to board because they first had to stuff their face at Cinnabon AND MickeyDs.

Sometimes it pays to be running late.

I was coming home from a week of installing network gear at a new call center in Ft. Worth. My rather comely female co-worker was on the same flight, and when it was announced that the flight would be delayed we went to the restaurant across from the gate for some food. Well, we ate some and had a couple of drinks... and when I looked over at the gate I almost choked. We had been told the flight would be delayed at least an hour and a half, and here 45 minutes later I could see the last of the passengers disappearing down the jetway. We hustled over, and I found out that there was only one seat left in steerage - one of us was going to have to just suck it up and ride in first class instead. OK, I figured I would let my coworker have the nice seat. Then the gate agent asked, "Oh - are you two together?"

Now, normally I'd have interpreted this as asking if we were married or otherwise traveling together, which in truth we weren't. We just happened to be coworkers on the same flight home on a Friday afternoon. My coworker, though, bless her little Indonesian heart, piped right up and told the gate gal that, yes, we were. So we both ended up in first class.

Oddly, it seems I never get bumped to first class on my own. Left to my own devices I'll end up wedged in with two guys bigger than me, right behind three skinny college girls sharing the next row up. I think they do it on purpose that way to keep us old guys out of trouble. But, while nine out of ten flights are spent with barely a word between me and my neighbors, occasionally you do meet an interesting "single-serving friend", as my kids call them.

Have I mentioned that one of my goals is to never fly commercial again, unless it's transoceanic? Even then, I find myself wondering just what it would take...

A man boarded an airplane and took his seat. As he settled in, he glanced up and saw the most beautiful woman boarding the plane. He soon realized she was heading straight towards his seat. As fate would have it, she took the seat right beside his. Eager to strike up a conversation he blurted out, “Business trip or pleasure?” She turned, smiled and said, “Business. I’m going to the Annual Nymphomaniacs of America Convention in Chicago.” He swallowed hard. Here was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen sitting next to him, and she was going to a meeting of nymphomaniacs. Struggling to maintain his composure, he calmly asked, “What’s your business role at this convention?”“Lecturer,” she responded. “I use information that I have learned from my personal experiences to debunk some of the popular myths about sexuality.” “Really?” he said. “And what kind of myths are there?” “Well, she explained, “one popular myth is that African American men are the most well-endowed of all men, when in fact it is the Native American Indian who is most likely to possess that trait. Another popular myth is that Frenchmen are the best lovers, when actually it is the men of Jewish descent who are the best. I have also discovered that the lover with absolutely the best stamina is the Southern Redneck.” Suddenly the woman became a little uncomfortable and blushed. “I’m sorry,” she said, “I shouldn’t really be discussing all of this with you. I don’t even know your name.” "Tonto" them man said. "Tonto Goldstein but my friends call me Bubba."

I remember in the late fifties, early sixties how irritating it was when my Mom would make me put on my Sunday suit when we took my Dad to the airport for a business trip.

I flew commercial some throughout the seventies and into the late eighties. Then I flew a LOT throughout the late eighties on through the early 2000's. I did lots and lots of travel to Europe in the early 2,000's. Throughout this last period, I was American Advantage Gold most of the time.

Now, the last time I flew commercial was July 2010. It's a real hassle these days, and after so much travel over the years I really enjoy sleeping in my own bed every night.

Over the years I've sat next to about every kind of person I can think of. Some of them extremely pleasant and enlightening experiences and some really bad, like the guy that probably hadn't bathed in a month sitting next to me.

The OP's post made me laugh and remember a flight of mine from the early eighties. I worked at the time for an oil well services technology company. I got on a plane and struck up a conversation with a guy who like myself didn't want to tell anyone who he worked for. Oil companies were hated in that period.

As the flight was ending, he asked me who I worked for and I sheepishly told him that I worked for an oil well services technology company. He broke out laughing and after catching his breath said something like: "that's okay, I work for the IRS."

Doc

I just returned from london yesterday. First commercial flight in over 2 years for me. I got frisked, farted on and the tsa was especially unfriendly after my arrival at rdu. Funny that I can bounce down the runway here in a 152 but when arriving on an airliner i get questioned and my bag searched!

42a20fd3-6be3-f88d.jpg

Here is a shot of a sunrise descent into the perpetual overcast of the UK from a 767-300

Back