Who is in the NYC area?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
There's a chance I'll be attending an event at the Javits Convention Center in Mid June.

Who here is in that area and might be available for dinner/drinks some evenings?

@ARFlyer -- are you still operating around EWR? Or did you switch bases?

Also would like advice on which airport to fly into, EWR or LGA

I get my June schedule on May 18th. I'll let you know. LGA sucks all the time. EWR sucks a little less. Fly into EWR if you can.

I get my June schedule on May 18th. I'll let you know. LGA sucks all the time. EWR sucks a little less. Fly into EWR if you can.
What carrier do you fly for?

Take the Skylane and fly it into LaGuardia! That'll be awesome!

I live considerably North of NYC and tend to avoid it like the plague since I moved. But I'll let you know.

As for which airport... Well, LGA has a more funner approach, in my opinion. Some prefer the word "harrowing," especially the base and final to 31. I know people who will not, under any circumstances, fly into LGA. But I rather enjoy it. The approach is much more scenic and somewhat less odorous than flying over the refineries and chemical plants in Jersey. In bad WX, there's also the thrill of wondering whether you'll be on dry land when you depart the airplane. It can be exhilarating.

LGA also has the shortest trip to Javits by taxi -- assuming that there's no traffic. If there is, all bets are off. When I say it can take anywhere between 20 minutes and two hours to get from LGA to Midtown, I'm not kidding.

You can also take one of several buses from LGA to various train stations where you can catch the 7 train, which will leave you practically on the Javits Center's doorstep now that its been extended. The 7 line, that is, not the doorstep. That's probably how I would go. It should take maybe half an hour to 45 minutes total.

On the down side, LGA itself is a dump. Seriously. It's old, dingy, dirty, dreary, and depressing. Departure security and check-in time are probably the worst of any airport I've ever used. I've spent hours on line there. It got to the point that when I used to have to depart New York during peak hours, I would drive to HPN -- and I lived 10 minutes from LGA.

As for EWR, I haven't made that trip in a very long time. I do know that there is bus service from EWR to Newark Penn Station, from whence trains can be taken to Manhattan. There are also buses that go directly to The City. It's been a long time, but I remember the buses being about an hour ride from EWR to Midtown. Improvements may (or may not) have been made since then. I think there's an AirTrain now, as well.

Rich

Nope I'm thankfully out of the NY Three for right now. I'd concur on EWR, if at all possible. LGA is like a slow train wreak most days. I've actually never had any issues at EWR. It's always been a swift arrival and departure.

Take the Skylane and fly it into LaGuardia! That'll be awesome!

Have you seen the landing fee schedule? :)

I'd love to take the Skylane. And did take a quick glance at the NYC TAC and going into KTEB.

But for similar money as the rental cost of the Skylane, I can relax in Business Class, get fed, and consume some alcohol.

Like Jordan I won't get my June schedule until mid-May, but I tend to like having middle of the weeks off, so there's a good possibility I'll be around.

If you can stomach hanging out with a Longhorn, that is. ;)

I'm often in NYC, and may be there that week. I'd recommend EWR if you're heading to the Javits Center. The train to Penn Station is a pretty easy ride, and if you're taking a car in you don't have the crosstown traffic to contend with.

When I worked in NYC, I always flew in and out of LGA. It is a hole, but it was close for the car service. I have been stuck there during a snow storm and they do not close the beer taps. :)

LGA is under construction, so traffic is a nightmare at peak times.

JFK has a direct connection to the subway.

If you fly in during peak times, go there. Long ride into Manhattan, but it is all under the traffic.

I'm in midtown RIGHT NOW. Been here 2 of 3 weeks for a while and moving it to more like 1 week a month. Let me know your dates and I'll arrange that to be "the week" that month.

I use LGA, which certainly does suck big time, but total transit time gets me to the office by 12:30PM where EWR first arrival gets me there at 2:00pm. How can I deprive them of and hour and half of my sparkling personality?

There's a chance I'll be attending an event at the Javits Convention Center in Mid June.

Who here is in that area and might be available for dinner/drinks some evenings?
Newark, always. There's a shuttle/train from the airport to the train station, then take the train into Manhattan.

If I was to fly the Skylane there, what airports should I look at other than KTEB?

I suggest EWR for air carrier travel. KCDW to the west is about 40-50 minutes from the Javits by car. $30-$40 uber. Others have mentioned KHPN to the North which is accessible via Metro North trains. KISP is East of the city. KLDJ is just south of Newark airport underneath the Bravo.

LGA is under major renovation. I was there Feb or March (was at EWR 2 weeks ago). LGA is a train wreck even more so now, but also when trying to drive to it for departure home. I landed at one terminal (B I think), had to walk to a separate terminal (C) to catch a bus to a 3rd terminal (A) where the rental car shuttles were. EWR no question.

Just keep flying north, you really don't want to go to NYC, it's a cesspool.

Back