Who can install avionics in certified?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Let's say I would like to have a new transponder installed.

Can this be done and log book entry completed by any A&P? Or is there a special avionics certification needed?

I saw a recent thread about an owner doing similar with A&P oversight/signoff. I didn't think that was an option.

Let's say I would like to have a new transponder installed.

Can this be done and log book entry completed by any A&P? Or is there a special avionics certification needed?

I saw a recent thread about an owner doing similar with A&P oversight/signoff. I didn't think that was an option.

For your situation, transponders/altitude reporting systems must be tested by a certified repair station per 91.413 for return to service.

Other than that, air data instrument/systems, like the pressure altitude encoder, airspeed, pilot's mechanical altimeter and electronic ones like the Garmin G5 systems have very specific funtion test producedures to be acccomplished for return to service, many A&Ps don't have that test equipment.

great, thanks for link.

For your situation, transponders/altitude reporting systems must be tested by a certified repair station per 91.413 for return to service..

Would an 8130 certificate from previous owner of a transponder be sufficient for this requirement? (In your humble opinion)

Back