Who came up with the Presidential TFR idea?

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
This weekend is the B2Osh formation practice out in Stockton, ca. However Bush has decided to visit, creating a crazy TFR out over the San Jose area. This idea prompted me to think about why this all came about. Was this Presidential TFR concept created by the FAA or the White House?

In the dark days immediately after 9/11, it was possible for the Secret Service to sell this idea to the Homeland Security folks, who turned to the FAA as implementer.

It's interesting that John Kerry declined the offer of TFR "protection" during the 2004 campaign. Wonder if he would have put a stop to it if he'd been elected?

They could tell you ... but then they would have to kill you ....:dunno:

AirBaker said:
This weekend is the B2Osh formation practice out in Stockton, ca. However Bush has decided to visit, creating a crazy TFR out over the San Jose area. This idea prompted me to think about why this all came about. Was this Presidential TFR concept created by the FAA or the White House?

DoubleD said:
In the dark days immediately after 9/11, it was possible for the Secret Service to sell this idea to the Homeland Security folks, who turned to the FAA as implementer.

There was no Homeland Security on 9/11. It was Condi and her crew who coudn't BELIEVE that planes could be flying around and nobody would know who was flying them. Thus the DC ADIZ.

mattaxelrod said:
Wait, you mean before 9/11, there was no such thing as a TFR?

Not quite. We get them all over the place in the summer to protect fire fighting aircraft. There are other legitimate purposes for them, as well. But these Presidential TFRs are a major pain and serve no useful purpose. Declining one during the campaign was about the only position Kerry ever took that I agreed with.

there were TFR's for presidential flight LONG before 9/11, but they were MUCH much smaller and much rarer - typically only invoked when the presidential plane went to an airport without a secure area. When the airplane went to a large airport some of the ramp was inconvenienced while a buffer zone was put in place around the airplane, but they didn't close any airspace.

The Pres TFR was developed by someone who wanted to be sure he knew where the President was all the time. Its a great tool for a terrorist to verify his info.

JRitt said:
The Pres TFR was developed by someone who wanted to be sure he knew where the President was all the time. Its a great tool for a terrorist to verify his info.

Wow. Never really thought of it like that, but damn. You've got a point there.

AirBaker said:
This idea prompted me to think about why this all came about. Was this Presidential TFR concept created by the FAA or the White House?

Halliburton.

JRitt said:

Which is why the SS tries to be vague about them and change things willy nilly on the fly.

I can remember flying alongside AF1 (a few miles apart, but it seemed closer given it's size), when the original Bush (or was it Reagan) came to town. You didn't dare get in the way, but nobody was grounded even when AF1 was in the air, let alone when the prez was on the ground.

I would have guessed Bill Gates. He's the originator of all that is Evil. ;-)

I can remember there being TFRs when the Summit of Eight (or however many there were) was in town and also for the Pope. This was back in the early to mid 1990s.

Recently I scanned copies of these two cartoons that I've had on my wall. Afterwards I realized something strange about them.

Attachments

• Airport Security.jpg
    Airport Security.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 47
  • TSA.jpg
    TSA.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 48
Everskyward said:
I can remember there being TFRs when the Summit of Eight (or however many there were) was in town and also for the Pope. This was back in the early to mid 1990s.

Recently I scanned copies of these two cartoons that I've had on my wall. Afterwards I realized something strange about them.

What's strange about them? The '96 dates? Or the TSA airlines in a cartoon from '96?

Joe Williams said:
What's strange about them? The '96 dates? Or the TSA airlines in a cartoon from '96?
Both. I think people, including me, forget that these were issues, albeit not as big, before 2001.

JRitt said:

There was a cartoon I saw a long time ago and I can't even remember the context now. There was a super secret building in the desert and a guy in painters overalls painting a huge bullseye around it. A kid was asking why he was painting a bullseye when the place was supposed to be so secret. The painter said "So the bad guys that don't know where it is and won't be able to find it."

Everskyward said:

Amazing! That's real evidence that they DO read newspapers.

Everskyward said:

Ah, good old Stein. Once in a blue moon he gets it right. I remember one from when I lived in the Denver area in the early 1980s. Had an MX missile (now known as Peacekeeper) strapped to the top of an RTD (Reason to Drive) bus. That way the missile was in motion and the bus could be tied into its navigation system so the bus driver (and RTD?) would know where the bus was.

AirBaker said:

Who came up with the idea??

This guy
alfred.jpg

JRitt said:

That's what the Garmin 396 with TFRs overlayed shows. :)

Back