Whistling noise in IMC?

My 182s has always whistled in IMC. It’s definitely real and I have no idea why. Never bothered me, though.

After all these years, has anyone figured out what the cause is yet? Can't we install instruments all over an affected airplane and determine the source of the noise!?

Today I was flying along and when I got into a cloud I noticed a whistling noise, but when I left the cloud I didnt hear it anymore.....back into another cloud and I started hearing it again. Does anyone know what this is? Am I going crazy?
I know the sound you're familiar with, it's like a metallic hum. I only hear it in high wing planes l

After all these years, has anyone figured out what the cause is yet? Can't we install instruments all over an affected airplane and determine the source of the noise!?

I’ve always been told it’s the wing strut? I don’t know if there’s any way to prove it but I can tell you the 177 and 210 don’t whistle in the clouds like a 182.

You can try to figure it out reasonably well by testing various planes and looking for common features of affected planes, but you need to install a bunch of directional microphones and the like if you want to confirm the answer.

What tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your avionics has a fault. It is trying to say

Bank Angle Bank Angle

High wing Cessnas will whistle in IMC if the moisture content is "just right." I don't know if the whistle is "wind" induced or vibration of the strut with the additional mass (water) hitting it. I do know the struts are just inside of resonance - when put TKS on my 182 with 3/blade they started to vibrate rather noticeably and uncomfortably. Only solution was to add pinked urethane tape behind the TKS panel to re-attach the boundary layer just enough to stop the vibration. That worked, but it was ugly as the tape of course yellows with age.

1600 hours in the 182 and have heard it whistle many a time.

High wing Cessnas will whistle in IMC if the moisture content is "just right." I don't know if the whistle is "wind" induced or vibration of the strut with the additional mass (water) hitting it. I do know the struts are just inside of resonance - when put TKS on my 182 with 3/blade they started to vibrate rather noticeably and uncomfortably. Only solution was to add pinked urethane tape behind the TKS panel to re-attach the boundary layer just enough to stop the vibration. That worked, but it was ugly as the tape of course yellows with age.

1600 hours in the 182 and have heard it whistle many a time.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Our club 182H hums a storm up in IMC. The disorienting part is the sound makes it think you are accelerating. So you want to instinctually pull up or adjust something. In the beginning it took me awhile to expect and ignore the sound.

I have heard the whistle/hum in 206s and 207s when they ice up. Also when they ice up the heater starts working really well because I really start sweating...

I have heard the whistle/hum in 206s and 207s when they ice up. Also when they ice up the heater starts working really well because I really start sweating...

I doubt it’s the heater making you sweat…..:skeptical:

I had a loud whistle in my 182rg. I tried several things to isolate the problem. Mine ended up being the rough tape on the steps and wing spar to gain access to the top of the wing. Air would get underneath some of the tape and cause it to whistle. Once I took it off and used paint, instead of an adhesive, I never heard it again. Doesn't sound like that is your issue since you hear it when only in the clouds, but might be something to look into.

IF it was the theme song to the Andy Griffith show, well your plane might be possessed by Aunt Bee?

(Got that song stuck in your head yet :) )

Back