Which Twin?

It has a pressurized toilet? Gotta get one of those things.

It's a self contained unit. There is some sort of retrofit toilet that actually flushes but is still self contained. So the toilet is not pressurized. It can also serve as a seventh seat.

Last edited:
I didn't see this discussion when it first came around (I joined in late December) but I think your initial inkling toward a twin was better.

I'm heavily inclined towards twins. I prefer a piston twin over a turbine single, and it goes without saying I prefer one over a piston single -- and I give no weight whatsoever to a chute. If you really want your plane to be a tool, meaning the ability to fly at night, in weather, over widespread low IMC, over terrain, over water, then the twin is the right aircraft for the mission.

It always kicks off a religious debate but I'm pretty comfortable with my position in that debate and have helped to change a few minds over the years. To be clear, I have no problem with single engine aircraft, but I wouldn't routinely operate them in the conditions described above. A single-engine anything is a self-limiting proposition insofar as the acceptable mission is concerned.

In any case enjoy the aircraft you select and good luck...

Right now, it looks like the plan is to purchase an older Mirage for around $400k, in 2020. Meanwhile, I'll get time in some Complex/HP rentals to build time. The Mirage will meet all her criteria, and get us a few hundred nm in a couple hours. If she takes to traveling more by air with THAT plane, then, (assuming financials hold) we'll look at stepping up to a new M600, or dropping a bunch of money in upgrading the Mirage. I'm hoping to stay with the Mirage for the long haul, and trick it out to our tastes. I like the idea that it won't be too much plane for the more common short hops that we have more often.

Surprisingly, now that I've gotten my Instrument Rating, she seems more relaxed and enjoys flying a bit more. She likes how much more structured and precise IFR flying is. (Or at least, that's how she perceives it.)

Thanks for all the replies.

Congrats!

Can I have the Archer?

It's a self contained unit. There is some sort of retrofit toilet that actually flushes but is still self contained. So the toilet is not pressurized. It can also serve as a seventh seat.
ItsaJokeSon.jpg~c200

I didn't see this discussion when it first came around (I joined in late December) but I think your initial inkling toward a twin was better.

I'm heavily inclined towards twins. I prefer a piston twin over a turbine single, and it goes without saying I prefer one over a piston single -- and I give no weight whatsoever to a chute. If you really want your plane to be a tool, meaning the ability to fly at night, in weather, over widespread low IMC, over terrain, over water, then the twin is the right aircraft for the mission.

It always kicks off a religious debate but I'm pretty comfortable with my position in that debate and have helped to change a few minds over the years. To be clear, I have no problem with single engine aircraft, but I wouldn't routinely operate them in the conditions described above. A single-engine anything is a self-limiting proposition insofar as the acceptable mission is concerned.

In any case enjoy the aircraft you select and good luck...

Oh boy!!! :popcorn: You have really done it now!!! :nono:

Oh boy!!! :popcorn: You have really done it now!!! :nono:

Heh. I know. Sorry. I've been involved in this discussion many times but I feel it's worth reiterating my message.

Back