2013 Diamond DA20 $140/h
2 seats, 125 hp, 138kts, 5gph, and glass cockpit

2008 Diamond DA40 $165/h
4 seats, 180 hp, 154kts, 10gph, and G1000 glass cockpit

2000 Cessna 172SP $155/h
4 seats, 180 hp, 118kts, 10gph

1980 Cessna 172N $145/h
4 seats, 160hp, 115kts, 8.5gph

These are the 4 planes that the flight school has. I want to get my commercial certificate and was wondering which plane would be better to learn on? I was thinking of the DA20 and DA40 so I got some time with the G1000.

I have flown the Cessna 172N once so far, it was a great experience.

If you can afford it, i'd go with the DA40, but the 172's would suit you just fine as well. What would you be using for the complex time?

As for complex time, I'm not sure what that means. Yeah I was thinking the DA40 because if I go 60 hours it really is only $1500 more, which I wouldn't find to be unreasonable.

If you're building hours, the cheapest airworthy one

Interested to know where you are. At those prices I would follow suit with James. Cheapest possible for me. Is the going rate on a DA-40 usually 165/hr? I've never priced them and for training purposes that seems like a lot.

Complex: controllable pitch prop, flaps, & retractable gear.

I'm not sure if any of the planes have a controllable pitch prop, if they do I'm to new to have noticed. None of them have retractable gear. I know we used flaps while landing in the Cessna.

Interested to know where you are. At those prices I would follow suit with James. Cheapest possible for me. Is the going rate on a DA-40 usually 165/hr? I've never priced them and for training purposes that seems like a lot.

It's the only place around here that I found any Diamond planes. But further looking into other schools there are Cessna's in the area that go for $118 an hour and the instructor rate is $10 less as well. I wouldn't necessarily saying I'm looking for the cheapest path to the PPL but it would help. I am a type that will pay for quality.

I'm not sure if any of the planes have a controllable pitch prop, if they do I'm to new to have noticed. None of them have retractable gear. I know we used flaps while landing in the Cessna.
You take your commercial check ride in a complex aircraft. No need to hunt one down right now, but just know that your last 25 hours or so leading up to the check ride will probably be in a complex aircraft. I did my instrument long cross country & got my complex endorsement in a Commander 112. I flew a T34 and an Arrow 200 preping for the ride, & took the check ride in an Arrow 180. I trained for my PPL in 152s, with a few hours in a 172.

It's the only place around here that I found any Diamond planes. But further looking into other schools there are Cessna's in the area that go for $118 an hour and the instructor rate is $10 less as well. I wouldn't necessarily saying I'm looking for the cheapest path to the PPL but it would help. I am a type that will pay for quality.

The quality that matters at this point in your training, but is the quality of your CFI, again cheapest plane that's airworthy and you can fit into.

Find the best CFI you can, I'd be more interested in comparing CFIs than aircraft at this point if I were you.

I'd just go with the cheapest one. Reason we asked about a complex plane(one with retractable gear, flaps, and controllable pitch prop) is because you will need one for the commercial training which you said you plan to achieve.

You could go cheapest but also as you mentioned also an excellent chance to become familiar with the G1000 with a CFI siting next to you.

Having done my PPL in a G1000, I would say stick with the 172 for your ppl then step up to glass for your IFR and COM. Don't wanna wind up being a one trick pony.

Thanks for the heads up about the complex plane for the checkride. I had not looked that far into training and I'm sure my CFI will have a good recommendation when the time comes. I really don't understand to much what the G1000 is which is why I would like to fly it a few times.

My wife also is starting to get a little annoyed with everything :D. I've downloaded a flight sim, and I know it's not the same, and logged around 5 to 6 hours over the past 3 weeks. Along with reading the Airplane Flying Handbook and Aeronautical Information Manual.

Holy crap...a DA40 for $165/ hr ? I'd do that all day long...Here where I live you pay $249/hr for an Arrow, or $179/hr for a 172.

There are other options around but no Diamonds. I think one school is looking at a DA42 though which would beat the hell out of Seminole or Seneca option for multi-training. Hope they don't overprice it though...bah..who am I kidding? It'll probably be $400/hr ...lol

Go with the da 40 for that price ,I can't rent a 172 non g1000 for that money.

Go with the da 40 for that price ,I can't rent a 172 non g1000 for that money.
Wow. I can do a 172 G1000 here for 135/hr block. $10 bucks more for regular rate. It seems the prices have gone up significantly since I started flying in 2010.

You said you're working towards your CPL right?

Your first few flying jobs ain't likley to be glass panel aircraft.

Finishing up with the least amount of debt will be the biggest factor in your immediate career.

I'd actually be looking into tailwheels and gliders for time building if I were you.

Glider/tailwheel times says a lot more than G1000 time or RG time, never had anyone ask about my complex time outside of the measly 10 for the CPL ride.

Check this out
http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

I'd go with DA20 or the 172N. Man those prices are high though. I'll be paying $131 for a G1000 172 at UND and the 172N I currently rent is $115. It's good you have a nice variety to choose from though. I'm not sure the G1000 is worth the premium unless you know it'll be needed in future jobs once you get your CPL. If you've already done training in a G1000 AC maybe using steam this time would be fun.

If you have that much for rental, I'd encourage you to do the whole commercial training in a Complex. Having to manipulate that gear and worry about it every time will get you accustomed to what its really like with retract. Wheels down issue is there and you have to be disciplined. No casual landings or straight ins. CGUMPS everytime and last check on final, every time...That whole routine.

A Cessna 172 or 182 RG or similar is fine. The Piper or Mooney or Bo will do just fine too. Any of them that have prop, mixture, and gear. More knobs the better

If you have that much for rental, I'd encourage you to do the whole commercial training in a Complex. Having to manipulate that gear and worry about it every time will get you accustomed to what its really like with retract. Wheels down issue is there and you have to be disciplined. No casual landings or straight ins. CGUMPS everytime and last check on final, every time...That whole routine.

A Cessna 172 or 182 RG or similar is fine. The Piper or Mooney or Bo will do just fine too. Any of them that have prop, mixture, and gear. More knobs the better

For the at least $30/hr more than for your typical trainer that adds $1200 to your PPL if you are good enough to get it done and 40 hrs. Then it is at least $6000 to get to 200 hrs. I would recommend going with the classic 172 or warrior, get your PPL, your INST, and about 200 hrs total before you start worry about that gear. That would give you 50 hrs with the complex before you reach the magic 250 hrs...in my opinion plenty of time to ingrain in your mind to make sure there are 3 green light lit up on your way down.

When you guys mention hours, once I have my PPL, could I use a plane from a friend and/or one I purchase? I don't want to get into the whole whether to buy a plane or not discussion but just curious. Would I have to check in somewhere when I flew to make sure they are ligit hours?

Oh, I thought he was JUST doing his commercial. So change that. Fly any of those. I think a 172 is a better trainer, sort of a more rough and tumble airplane. But the Diamonds are fine if thats what you like. The 172 is cooler, in temperature I mean. Those Diamonds have that bubble cover that gets a LOT of sun. Youre in the shade with the Cess. But its up to you.

Back