Which one is the runway?

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
After a spate of incidents involving people landing on the parallel taxiway, the airport authority decided to try and mark the taxiway to make it more obvious. See attached photo to see what appeared yesterday.

I then learned that while they were painting it, someone else landed on the taxiway! :yikes:

Attachments

• Which_one_is_the_runway.jpg
    Which_one_is_the_runway.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Let's see...

Bunch of white markings
PAPI
Numbers
Wider

What are you teaching those pilots up there? :D

After a spate of incidents involving people landed on the parallel taxiway, the airport authority decided to try and mark the taxiway to make it more obvious. See attached photo to see what appeared yesterday.

I then learned that while they were painting it, someone else landed on the taxiway! :yikes:

I'm sure the airplane didn't care but not a good idea.

I requested and been granted permission to land on taxiway south at Brown field in Sandy Eggo. It's pretty common there. I was also leaving an airport somewhere busy in Indiana once and there were six or so IFR departures sitting at the hold short line so I just asked to turn around on the taxiway and take off from there. The controller asked me to confirm and I said 'yep, take off from taxiway heading south, straight out, VFR'. He said hold on a sec, checked with ground and gave me approved at pilot discretion. I was 30 miles closer to home before all those IFR guys cleared the run up.

I requested and been granted permission to land on taxiway south at Brown field in Sandy Eggo. It's pretty common there. I was also leaving an airport somewhere busy in Indiana once and there were six or so IFR departures sitting at the hold short line so I just asked to turn around on the taxiway and take off from there. The controller asked me to confirm and I said 'yep, take off from taxiway heading south, straight out, VFR'. He said hold on a sec, checked with ground and gave me approved at pilot discretion. I was 30 miles closer to home before all those IFR guys cleared the run up.

That's not uncommon. I used a taxiway at Aurora, IL a few years ago when a runway was undergoing maintenance.

The key is having the tower on board with such actions. Landing on the taxiway Bravo (depicted) when cleared for 10R gets them a bit miffed.

[Corrected IL vs CO!]

Last edited:
That's not uncommon. I used a taxiway at Aurora, CO a few years ago when a runway was undergoing maintenance.

The key is having the tower on board with such actions. Landing on the taxiway Bravo (depicted) when cleared for 10R gets them a bit miffed.

Aurora Airpark has been closed for over a decade.

So we'll assume you were at KFTG or KAPA.

I've never seen KAPA approve taxiway takeoffs, since they have parallel runways and don't need to close both for maintenance at the same time.

KFTG?

As far as markings go, KPUB has been fighting this problem for years, since part of their ramp *is* a parallel runway... created out of nothing but paint. They apparently have decided to tear up the place this summer and make the "runway" more obvious, with some grant money...

Amazing how much money needs to be spent because pilots can't recognize a paint color...

I've never seen KAPA approve taxiway takeoffs, since they have parallel runways and don't need to close both for maintenance at the same time.

KFTG?

As far as markings go, KPUB has been fighting this problem for years, since part of their ramp *is* a parallel runway... created out of nothing but paint. They apparently have decided to tear up the place this summer and make the "runway" more obvious, with some grant money...

Amazing how much money needs to be spent because pilots can't recognize a paint color...

Fingers were too fast...it was Aurora, IL.

The taxiway notwithstanding, I can see someone going for the shorter, parallel grass runway.

I've seen a bunch of airports where they mark the taxiway with a big TAXI on it to help pilots figure out how high and how fast to go over it. KPBI comes to mind.

You know, I noticed that at KLVK, and I had to ask who F's that up. I guess it's more common than I would have thought. It's interesting that only the larger runway's parallel taxiway needed that marking...

http://goo.gl/maps/FvDPK

It looks like a degnated parking space for taxi cabs...:D
seems silly to have to mark a taxiway to differntiate it from a runway, but at 47N at some point they painted the name of the airport on the longer parallel taxiway.

Also usef for pilots who don't know where they are.:D

When my then gf (now ex-wife) was training, her CFI took her to another nearby field. She had been training on a tiny strip with no taxiways (Aretz Airport in Lafayette, IN, closed ~1997). At the other field, she lined up on what matched what she knew a runway looked like. The CFI had to point out the big wide thing off to the side.

As I was standing in the intersection of taxiway P and one of the stubs connecting 36 (L) at Oshkosh a plane shot by me at a high rate of speed. It took a second before I realized he had landed on taxiway (how you avoid hitting the GS antenna is challenging). The next day a bunch of guys showed up with some paint and spent an hour at the end of the taxiway (I asked if they were having a problem spelling X).

What's the fun in landing on a giant well marked runway? All those stripes and numbers and stuff sure ar distractin'.

When my then gf (now ex-wife) was training, her CFI took her to another nearby field. She had been training on a tiny strip with no taxiways (Aretz Airport in Lafayette, IN, closed ~1997). At the other field, she lined up on what matched what she knew a runway looked like. The CFI had to point out the big wide thing off to the side.

Aretz was a great little airport, but the pilot shack gave pilot shacks a bad name and the bathroom was worse that a Dairy Queen :wink2:. I lived right down the street and flew out of there until '97 ... moved right before they closed the airport. Went back a year later and there was a warehouse smack dab in the middle of the runway ... a LOT more effective than a couple of X's.

KFTG?

Is that what they're doing at KPUB? I saw the notice about the construction. Are they replacing the ramp-runway with a new runway?

Anybody remember the old Stapleton E_W runways. There were four pieces of parallel asphalt: 26L, Taxiway C, 26R, and 25. There have airliners who have still landed on C.
There was a note on the plate to be careful about that.

I remember a local news (TV) report of an airplane that landed at the wrong airport. Commercial I believe.

Now, I'm not supporting a professional pilot landing at the wrong field, but it was funny watching the field reporters exasperation reporting it. He was on location with a crew. He'd say, "How could they possibly land here?!?" and point out the correct airport is OVER 3 MILES AWAY!!!

He'd say, "How could they mistake this closed runway" and they showed a super macro closeup of a weed growing out of a crack in the runway. Okay, there were lots of weeds...but none you'd see on a mile final.

Not really related I guess, but this thread made me think of that. I guess the point is things look different a few miles away. What's obvious when you're right there looking at it might not be so obvious on final. Painting a big 'TAXI' might not be such a bad idea...especially if a rash of pilots keep landing on it.

If 1 does it, okay...dumb pilot. If 15 do it a week then maybe there's a problem.

After a spate of incidents involving people landing on the parallel taxiway, the airport authority decided to try and mark the taxiway to make it more obvious. See attached photo to see what appeared yesterday.

I'd land on the runway with the parking lot at the end, and the convenient taxi stand.:lol:

I remember a local news (TV) report of an airplane that landed at the wrong airport. Commercial I believe.

About 10 years ago a Northwest Airlines jet landed at Ellsworth Air Force Base instead of the Rapid City Airport. They wouldn't let any of the passengers off and made them all shut their window shades while they waited for a new crew to be brought in to fly the 5nm to KRAP.

A pilot mistake, but since both airports have towers, I always wondered how the controllers missed it too.

On my long solo X-C, I was flying to HFD and I accidentally lined up with a closed airport about a mile away. I was on final at 700 AGL wondering why the pavement looked so faded when I finally noticed the white X. About this same time, tower notified me of my mistake and told me to return to pattern altitude and advice when I had them in sight. He said people do it all the time.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hart...tford-Brainard+Airport,+Hartford,+CT&t=h&z=15

There's a photo in the OSU FBO of a 707 that landed at KOSU instead of KCMH. Oops.

There's a photo in the OSU FBO of a 707 that landed at KOSU instead of KCMH. Oops.

That's ridiculous considering the runway configurations of each. Then again it is OSU...

You can get cleared to depart from a taxiway?? I've never heard that before.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this thread correctly but did someone say they got permission to takeoff from a taxiway!?!? Is that a joke?

I've flown into FCM hundreds of times, never landed on the taxiway. I think high gas prices are leading to less proficient aviators.

What is that grid of taxiways and roads for ? Are they planning to build more hangars but ran out of money ?

So what exactly is the problem with landing on a taxiway? Are there any rules or regs requiring one to land on a runway?

So what exactly is the problem with landing on a taxiway? Are there any rules or regs requiring one to land on a runway?

One issue I see is they are typically being controlled by the ground controllers. Plus landing on a surface other than you were cleared for is an issue, just like landing on the wrong runway, which we also see at KFCM.

Back