Which modern low cost comm do you recommend?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
Don't want to spend a bunch. I have an MX-11 crap comm now. I'm considering having it repaired, but would prefer to go something modern and better supported.

I also don't want to spend a pile of money.

If you have a recommendation that can meet these two requirements I would appreciate some guidance.

My nav is going to be handled separately.

I bought an Icom A210 also. I would not do it again. It has a flimsy ribbon cable between the faceplate and radio which can fail leading to internal radio damage. I went the A210 route as it shared the same tray as my old comm. I ended up removing it and installing a SL40 Apollo which I liked much better. I found the sound quality similar but the Apollo / Garmin seemed much more durable.

If the OP had an experimental, there are some new low cost alternatives available. If I had a newer efis, I would likely go remote radio.

I'm partial to the King KY-97A for a cheap comm radio. I had one in my old Cherokee and it was a great performer. There's a used one on the VAF classifieds right now for $799

Think I'm gonna get that Val. I have limited panel space, and this thin radio will leave room for a panel GPS. Thanks all.

I have heard good things about the Val as well.

Back