Which laptop bag?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by CJones, Sep 16, 2014.

1. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea
    This is probably one of those Chevy vs. Ford or High-wing vs. Low-Wing kind of things, but which type of laptop bag do you prefer:

The backpack style:
    [​IMG]

Or the standard 'over the shoulder' style:
    [​IMG]

I currently have the backpack style, but I'm a "one-shoulder" kind of guy with the backpack, so I'm wondering if I would be better off with the standard 'over the shoulder' type.

Discuss amongst yourselves.....

2. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    backpack for me for a number of years now. Used to use the second style for years, but switched and don't intend to switch back. The only drawback to the backpack one I have is too many pockets. I got held up at airport xray once trying to find whatever TSA was freaking out about .... took way too long to search all the pockets. I had quite a pile of "stuff" laying around before it cleared the scanner.

3. somorris

somorris Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    A lot of people I see with the backpack style carry them over one shoulder. I guess I am simple minded. I just don't see the point.

4. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    I'm trying a back pack now,like the over the shoulder lap top bag better,like the regitity of the bag. Also Agee back pack has just too many pockets.

5. sferguson524

sferguson524 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    FormerSocalFlyer
    i have the backpack, but also have a messenger bag style one

6. MyassisDragon

MyassisDragon Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mr Fred
    Had briefcase style for many years and switched about 8 years ago to backpack. The backpack can be worn single strap or double, the briefcase only one way and both on pull luggage.

After a few hours of travel I noticed my gait changes with only one shoulder strap and I was fighting walking to the left and taking oncoming terminal traffic head on:yikes: . Then when I would sit one shoulder always more fatigued and it was hard to hold my beer in celebration for pedestrian accident avoidance.;)

7. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I think it is more about casual or business. For day to day use and traveling, I love my OGIO backpack but going into a business meeting I grab what I need and throw it in an over the shoulder

8. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    backpack over one shoulder to me was still more comfortable than the single strap over the shoulder bag. Not a big deal now but I had a few contracts in places that had an extended hike from parking to office.

9. Kiddo's Driver

Kiddo's Driver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    I flew Huntsville to DC every other week for four months before I figured out I left a knife in one of the pockets. TSA never noticed it...smh.

10. MyassisDragon

MyassisDragon Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mr Fred
    Sometimes I wonder about TSA.
    I went on a Dive trip with a buddy and hopped on a commercial flight to ATL. When we were sitting in our seats he opened up his regulator bag mumbled something then asked if he should let anyone know while slowley opening the flap to reveal a 12" serrated dive knife sitting right on top.:dunno:

11. JoeFromKS

JoeFromKS Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JoeFromKS
    Backpack for me. Messenger bag is too much like a purse.

12. Bill Watson

Bill Watson En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    View attachment 35716
    I guess I like this type. It's been my laptop bag for the past 19 years... up until a month ago when the strap finally broke. Lots of character there. Carried it to work every day even though that was often my home office. It took over as my flight bag with the advent of Foreflight and the paperless cockpit.

I knew I wanted something similar but a bit smaller (laptops have shrunk quite a bit over the years). A blurb on the Flying magazine website took me to these folks Waterfield Bags and I purchased this Vertigo 2.0 in black ballistic and leather.

[​IMG]

They have some very attractive flapped bags as featured in Flying but the flap is a pita in the cockpit. This bag will normally sit in the footwell of the LH rear seat when there is no passenger there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  13. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    None
    Backpack except when flying commercial. Why give TSA anything else to fret over? If I had my choice, I'd go through the checkpoint bare-assed just to speed things up a bit.

The other problem with the backpack was when I was working in The City, and once in a while I'd get searched going into major subway stations. The one I used to board the system on in Queens was one of them due to its size and its proximity to the court houses and the Citibank building. They had pretty high security there.

I had all sorts of tools, wires, and other gizmos in the backpack along with the laptop, so the searches could take a while. But the same cops tended to be on duty at the same times every day, so they kind of got to know me after a while and just waved me on. Still, I was happy when I sold the tech support business and didn't have to worry about it any more.

Rich

14. Ghery

Ghery Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    I used the second style for a number of years until the attachments on the ends of the shoulder strap wore too far for comfort. Bought a back pack and haven't looked back. Even folds out flat for the convenience of the drones at TSA. Of course, now with TSA Pre-check that doesn't matter. It has more room than the old bag did as well.

15. TheTraveler

TheTraveler Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    TheTraveler
    I've got a small rolling case with a shoulder strap, matches my suitcase. Briggs and Riley. A few pounds heavier than some of the other options, but I find it quite convenient. Going on 4 years now, I think, and suits me very well. If I need to really hustle, I can throw it over my shoulder. If I'm strolling I'll roll it. Tradeshows are where the wheels are very helpful. Dedicated padded laptop pouch. The case is still compact enough, but I can expand it and use it as an overnight bag also.

16. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    I'm a backpack guy, but I like a lightweight daypack with a padded sleeve vs a normally heavier "computer backpack".

If you do like messenger bags, here is an excellent choice:
    http://www.zuluworks.com/prod/zulubags/topi.htm

I bought one of these years ago just to check it out. Doesn't work well as a flight bag for me, but makes an outstanding computer bag. And very inexpensive for a very high quality bag.

17. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I use a small victorinox attache that I've had for a decade now. It serves as my flight bag: laptop and iPad in the big compartment. Pens, spare batteries, and miscellany in the smaller pocket, airplane keys and a spare check or two in the small outside pocket.

18. silver-eagle

silver-eagle En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ~John
    Regularly, shoulder type briefcase. I have not gotten the "just right" backpack yet but still only ever used it over one shoulder (left side only for both). The thing I dislike about backpacks is most people don't dismount the bag when boarding something and are completely oblivious of what that freaking 3 foot hump on their back is doing! The next F'g A that smacks me with their bag is going down!

19. masloki

masloki Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    dana d
    Timbuk2 when on the road. They have lots of great travel and organizing features. Backpack otherwise, as I walk quite a bit, and the off center weight was killing my back.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

20. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    X gazillion ....

21. Ghery

Ghery Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Amen to that. It is amazing how oblivious some people can be. My backpack is off the shoulder and being carried by the handle before I enter the plane. What is so hard about that? Other than their hands are full of all the other "stuff" they're bringing on board.

22. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    There is a hybrid cross sling bag that rides like a back, side, or front pack with only one strap. Those are my preference.

23. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea
    I have to admit - I expected this crowd to be heavily weighted toward the standard over the shoulder style bag.

I did some observing while sitting in the airport terminals at ATL and BWI this week and noticed that the number of backpacks definitely outnumbers the number of over the shoulder bags.

I've had my OGIO backback - same model as in my OP picture - for about 3 years now. Two of those years were with 40-50% airline travel. Other than that, it is the daily laptop hauler to/from the office. It has stood up very well but it is just starting to show some fraying around the edges and around the zippers. It can hold a lot of stuff, but very rarely use all that capacity. I'm thinking of trying one of the messenger-style bags since 90% of the time I only have my laptop, a couple of notebooks/binders, a few loose documents, and chargers and cables for random devices.

24. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    I'll go back to my earlier recommendation: If you decide to try a messenger bag, see if you can find this:
    http://www.zuluworks.com/prod/zulubags/topi.htm

I looked on-line and didn't see anyone that carries it. I wonder if it's been discontinued? Might have to check with Zuluworks and ask. When mine came in the mail, I was looking it over, my wife then saw it, and grabbed it telling me it was her new computer bag.

25. silver-eagle

silver-eagle En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ~John
    The heck with carrying bags or wearing backpacks. Just stuff your useless crap in a pocket. When you realize you have 100# of stuff you don't use, you will finally free yourself.
    I got one of these: http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/QUEST_Vest_Men.shtml A sure guarentee I will never find anything again!

26. txflyer

txflyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fly it like you STOL it ♦
    Backpack in the Cessna, standard bag for commercial ..

27. Matthew

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Yeah, but he's looking for something to carry a laptop.

That looks like the clothing version of a Brightline flight bag.:)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  28. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    My new employer thought they'd "treat" me, you know, the big shot newish kinda IT manager guy, to an enormous 17" monitor laptop ... "Desktop replacement" style they call them, I guess.

It doesn't fit in any reasonable bag. It barely shoves in my oversized Swiss branded laptop backpack, and bulges the zippers.

So... It stays right where it should... "Replacing" a desktop machine, and I RDP into it if I need something on it. And carry around my 13" MacBook Pro, and iPad.

Never liked the messenger bags. Not enough pockets and I have to carry enough tools and gadgets to actually repair stuff from time to time. So I do the backpack thing, but it ends up too heavy and ridiculous.

29. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    By the way, most messenger bags don't handle the giant charging bricks that come with most PC laptops these days, and no one that I've found yet makes a MacBook case with an appropriately square sized charger pocket for their standard size either. Charging devices are always carried with laptops, so I wonder why they're so consistently ignored in the bag's designs. It should drop into an appropriately sized pouch ABOVE the laptop, not buried underneath it where you need to dig for it. And not in some front separate pouch for OTHER things. When you want the laptop out you want two things. The laptop by itself, or the laptop and the charger. The rest of the zippers and what not should stay CLOSED and stuff in them STOWED.

30. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
  31. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea

Yeah, I'll have to keep that in mind. I do have a larger laptop with the 10-key number pad on the side, so I'll have to find something that can handle that thing.

That's one good thing about the backpack I have now - it has pouches on the side that are big enough to handle the charging brick. We just got a new round of laptops and they have a smallER brick which isn't too bad to deal with.

[​IMG]

32. Bill Watson

Bill Watson En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    Went by the local hipster coffe shop yesterday and (didn't) count innumerable MacBooks, exactly 3 PC laptops (no 17 inchers or MS thingies) and many 'pads. The few AC outlets were in demand but.... not really. Solid state memory and good batteries rule.

I carry around an iPhone, iPad and a MacAir. The charger remains awkward but I find myself leaving the iChargers behind and just carry the cord. I plug in when driving, flying, and by bumming off friends and strangers.

I downsized my bag and am adapting my stuff usage to it.

33. ScottM

ScottM Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBazinga!
    Back packs and messenger bags for me. I switch depending on if I have to haul my luggage around a lot. I like the Timbuk2 messenger bags a lot.

34. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    I switched to a backpack 8 or 10 years ago. I do carry a lot of adapters, connectors, cables, flash drives and such and I travel around 70% right now.