Which is your favorite aircraft?

Princesspilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hjljh
The B-17 claims the number one spot in my book. I loved watching it take off on runway 17R out of KDWH from time to time. Everyone would stop what they were doing and watch it. It is such a beautiful plane. :)

C130 one of the best planes the Air Force ever used.

Stinson SR-10-J last of the gull wings.

Not my favorite, but the Beechcraft Stagger Wing is a sweet looking plane. Wheels or floats, I bet it would be fun to fly....:yes:

images

Any airplane which belongs to someone else that I can use for the cost of fuel.

Mark

I enjoyed flying the C-206 in the bush doing off airport work.

Other than that any plane that takes me home is my favorite.

Depends on the job at hand. I'd say flying the PA-18 ranks high on the list though, when covering a lot of ground fast isn't a concern.

Never flown it but the MD-11. Just everything about it fascinates me I always enjoy seeing one flying/taking off/landing. In the world of older planes definitely the B-17

Way too many good ones to narrow it down to just one. Would need to put them into categories.

My favorite aircraft is my humble little Cherokee because it is my freedom machine. Apart from that I'm really torn between the P51 and Corsair. I love 'em both.

I like my 185, does everything I want it to.

For the filthy rich, any airplane on earth question, I'll give the standard issue pilot answer and say P51D.

C130 one of the best planes the Air Force ever used.

And still using it! New ones coming off the line in Marietta almost every day.

I'd have to go with a Mustang or Corsair as favorites.

My favorite is the one with the ∝-hour TBO, which always starts, never breaks, and produces an expensive blue fluid which I sell to the FBO after each flight.

AH-1ModS best of the G with the tail rotor flipped to the other side, more HP and before they started adding weight...it was like a sports car that you strapped on...nothing compared to it in the American Helicopter World if your flying.

Last edited:
Cub, any sailplane I get to fly. Personally I can't see having a favorite aircraft that I'd never get/have to fly.

Whichever one is paying the bills at the moment.

But in the spirit of the thread, I love the P-38, the Beech Staggerwing, and the Beech Duke.

Cub, any sailplane I get to fly. Personally I can't see having a favorite aircraft that I'd never get/have to fly.
Same here but it's gotten more personal - my favorite is the one I own and fly. That's included a couple of sailplanes and a tail dragger but now is my RV-10, hands down.

Building it up from a kit, assembling all the parts, sub-assemblies and finally the whole aircraft creates an intimacy that's difficult to describe. Painting, installing the avionics and mounting the engine gives me a great deal of pride in the finished product. Sitting at cruise, looking around, everything working, getting where I want to go feels like a seat on top of the world.

I used to dream about planes I'd like to fly and still have those dreams but my favorite is the one I can put my hands on and do the things with it I want to do.

The dream planes I lust after now tend to be those I can imagine myself operating and making part of my life - a Pilatus for example.

On the other hand I'm in awe of the SR71, would love to fly a DC3, and dream of pulling Gs in a fighter jet but none qualify as favorites.

A-10.

It has one job and it does it superbly (while protecting the pilot).

Short SC.1 For the 50s it was an interesting attempt

The 172 I fly because it's never quit on me. Then DC-3, Cessna 195, and B777 are some of my favs. And the 152 because my first solo was in one.

No particular order...

Martin 404
DC-3
L-1011
C750

I like cool and unique.
The Gee Bee is the most awesome airplane ever built in my book....
They are said the be the most dangerous aircraft ever built. If you read up you will see almost every one of them crashed just after they were built. Steve Wolf and Delmar Benjamin built a replica and Delmar put a couple of thousand hours on his before donating it to a museum. How can you get any cooler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtmJVi11uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTyYVnSyq4

Last edited:
My son asked Steve Wolf lots of questions about the Gee Bee. A few days later Ziek received this in the mail from Steve.... How awesome is that!

Attachments

• gee bee  1.jpg
    gee bee 1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 20
Warbird: P-51D
Jet: F-16
Close behind: SR-71 since they are an amazing aircraft, still mysterious in some ways and my grandfather worked on tooling for them. Many fond memories of him spending time answering my questions (that he was allowed to) about it.

Whichever one I own at the time. Unless I'm pouring money into it that isn't for fuel or goodies.

As far as ones I will never fly or own: the P-38 and the P-80.

Back