Which is least evil?

• Google/Android

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Apple/iPhone

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Microsoft/Windows Phone

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters
It has been mentioned before, but to reiterate. When you buy an Android, be sure to get one that is straight from Google. The others are packed with garbage apps that can't be deleted without "rooting" your phone.

An excellent pure "Google" phone is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. And, I can't say this with authority, but I think it runs Garmin "Pilot" better than others because it doesn't have a layer of junk running interference. I think you want the word Nexus in the name.

I much prefer email, even if it means just replying instantly that I can't work on it. I can flag the message, assign a task and salesforce/outlook will remind me I have to work on it later.

I keep my desk phone unplugged and my cell phone is just for alerts during the day.

call-a-holics drive me nuts.. if they're emailing and calling 10 times, then their planning probably sucks too ;)

I don't like calls and HATE voice messages. Texting is so much less obtrusive.

On my new phone I haven't even set up a voice message box, and am loving it!

It has been mentioned before, but to reiterate. When you buy an Android, be sure to get one that is straight from Google. The others are packed with garbage apps that can't be deleted without "rooting" your phone.

I have a Galaxy Nexus (I also have a Moto Droid Razr on VZ). Each have their limitations & crapware. Yes, there is some stuff packed on the Nexus that I'd remove if I could without rooting the phone. The Nexus is also the one that I've been fighting over the contacts being sent to Google. I'm also quite unhappy with the stock email app due to limitations - use another app instead. Ditto the browser - I use Firefox.

IMHO, one should look at the G Nexus as being Google's parallel universe to Apple. Google has worked very hard to shove you into their ecosystem & collect data from you (including browsing data, I discovered). They have made it really hard to impossible to control some features - the stock phone is Google ecosystem through and through. If you're happy with that, great. If not, figure you'll either root it or spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to control unwanted features (including adding replacement apps for the stock apps). The stock apps can't be removed without rooting.

YMMV.

What I'm actaully considering is going to a "dumb" phone, and just getting a WiFi hotspot and laptop or something.

Last edited:
I'd go with the iPhone on account of the plethora of aviation related apps you can get.

What I'm actaully considering is going to a "dumb" phone, and just getting a WiFi hotspot and laptop or something.

Depends on what you do with it. I've been (mostly) happy with my hotspot, though lately I've been using a 4G phone in hotspot tethering with better results. Except, of course, in the areas where I get a better signal on the hotspot.

In the end, it's another thing to carry, but avoids much of the privacy issues.

I have a "dumb" phone that is a few years old, in addition to a cellular-capable iPad. Although not having email in my pocket is a minor inconvenience, I don't need to pay several hundred dollars for a smartphone, plus $100+ a month for the plan, to get email in my pocket. I pay AT&T $30/month for 3Mbps of LTE data on the iPad, plus my voice minutes on the "dumb" phone. I don't need more than that, and for actual work, I am more productive on the tablet than I would be on a smartphone.

I didn't go the MiFi route because the battery life on them wasn't anywhere close to what I could get from the iPad with cellular radio, although the MiFi/Jetpacks may have improved recently in that regard. Also, since I don't have a smartphone, I needed something that was "always on" for push and sync to my company's email, calendar, and contacts, and the iPad works well in that regard.

JKG

Last edited:
DenverPilot said:
I found an old Moto RAZR in a drawer while packing stuff to move. Ha. Reminded me of the days when my phone was a phone. :)
Best phone ever made. Still have mine.

I've had an iPhone since the 3G and the reason I keep going back to Apple is because of the size. I prefer the smaller size. I don't need a "Phablet" (as one of my coworkers calls the new phone/tablets).

I will agree that iTunes kinda sucks, esp the last upgrade. I hate the new user interface. In terms of apps and such, I've never had an issue not finding what I was looking for or needing a feature that wasn't there. I don't care to modify my phone or kill the battery in 3 hours from all the extra "features". ;) That said, I will say that Android is a mature/stable OS and at this point all smartphones do nearly the same stuff.

Lesser evil?? hahahaha, no such thing in the corperate world.

Back