Which flight school in memphis TN for a private pilot license?

samir.mchantaf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
HI,
I have been looking everywhere for private pilot students who finished their private pilot training in Memphis TN to ask for some advice, I did my research and looks like the best 2 schools are Air venture and Downtown aviation's, I didn't visit the schools yet which I will soon but first, I would like to hear from pilots who attended any of these schools.

thanks

Hi Sam.

I responded to your PM. I am not aware of whether or not Air Venture is a Part 141 school or not. I believe Downtown Aviation is Part 141. If you want to be a professional pilot, the Part 141 school would probably work better for you. More structured.

I flew with downtown aviation when they were at Dewitt Spain. Now I believe they are still in Olive Brwnch since the flood. They had a couple of 150/152 that were reasonable as well as reasonable rates for instruction. I'd recommend them. There's also some good options out near Covington if you happen to live that far out of town.

Yes, Downtown Aviation kept the Olive Branch facility as well as re-opening downtown. Not sure about Air Venture, but Downtown Aviation has some really nice airplanes, and a few not so cosmetically nice but still well maintained. My personal favorite is the Super Decathlon. :)

Yes, Downtown Aviation kept the Olive Branch facility as well as re-opening downtown. Not sure about Air Venture, but Downtown Aviation has some really nice airplanes, and a few not so cosmetically nice but still well maintained. My personal favorite is the Super Decathlon. :)

So they still have the stearman?

Yep. The Stearman is still there. Pretty cool.

I flew with both operations when I lived in the Memphis area. My choice would be Downtown Aviation though both are good. You can fly with Downtown at either M01 or at OLV.

The Decathlon and Stearman belong to Morris Ray and not actually to the school. Morris is a CFI/DPE but he works out of Downtown Aviation. I got my tailwheel endorsement from him. Morris also has a T-6. Super nice person as is the rest of the staff. The owner Jay can be a little hard for some folks to take at first but he is actually a pretty good guy as well.

Hi Sam.

I responded to your PM. I am not aware of whether or not Air Venture is a Part 141 school or not. I believe Downtown Aviation is Part 141. If you want to be a professional pilot, the Part 141 school would probably work better for you. More structured.

Hi Somorris,

yeah I got your PM and I much appreciate it, it was so informative, actually you also answered my next question on whether to go with the 141 or 61 which obviously 141 is better if I want to go on with my education.

I guess after reading all of the replies, Downtown aviation it is.

hi guys,

Thx a lot for your kind replies, I was more oriented to downtown aviation but I needed to hear it from someone who actually got the PPL from there.

now I guess its time to follow my dream and go on with it :)

Back