Which do you choose?

ground visibility
which is funny, people say this for some reason but I've always found visibility in high wings to be a total disaster.. you're surrounded by stuff sitting inside a box.. I'm tall, but find the visibility at the front to be garbage, namely because the panel is high and the plane sits on its A$$, in in flight you can't see where you're turning, and you have to lean forward to see left or right, and good luck seeing that traffic on final when you're entering the runway

And that perfect ground visibility is ruined by a tire and metal struts, a piece of coarse grit sandpiper half ripping off flapping in the wind from the strut

If you're lucky the "air vent" won't fall out of the pipe sticking out of the wing and into your lap midflight

The 172 is the aviation equivalent of that little red and yellow plastic car we all had growing up, but a crappier version of it

#noslipswithflaps #nosegearshimmycity #bothbutnotreallyleftwingdrainsfirstandyoucanttopthetanksoff #butithastwodoors #needaladdertocheckfuel #cessna #didntgileaflightplan #13fueldrains #bendthecargodoorhandle #wobbly

big openable windows
True. That's a big plus. The Archer suffocates you.. that little foot vent though is surpringly effective once airborne

which is funny, people say this for some reason but I've always found visibility in high wings to be a total disaster.. you're surrounded by stuff sitting inside a box.. I'm tall, but find the visibility at the front to be garbage, namely because the panel is high and the plane sits on its A$$, in in flight you can't see where you're turning, and you have to lean forward to see left or right, and good luck seeing that traffic on final when you're entering the runway

And that perfect ground visibility is ruined by a tire and metal struts, a piece of coarse grit sandpiper half ripping off flapping in the wind from the strut

If you're lucky the "air vent" won't fall out of the pipe sticking out of the wing and into your lap midflight

The 172 is the aviation equivalent of that little red and yellow plastic car we all had growing up, but a crappier version of it

#noslipswithflaps #nosegearshimmycity #bothbutnotreallyleftwingdrainsfirstandyoucanttopthetanksoff #butithastwodoors #needaladdertocheckfuel #cessna #didntgileaflightplan #13fueldrains #bendthecargodoorhandle #wobbly

To be fair, the panel on the new archers is just as high, my 11 yo still can't see over it. I've lost count of the number of times I've said "hey! Look at that.... oh it just went under the wing". Half of the air vent deflectors are missing, too. I think all the trainer type a/c fit your description of little tykes cars. With that stupid little window and one door the archer is more like the easy bake oven of the sky in summer time. They both suck, but they both beat not flying.

#Idstilltakethearcher #cuzitlooksbetter

Airflow... yet another reason Grumman is the answer. Or Ercoupe. Basically the same thing.

Funny, I lived for 15 years with mine, which was meticulously maintained. And zero of those things you state seem to be the case. Raise up the seat. Look forward of the wheels. Find a decent mechanic to take care of the annoyances.

I always loved flaps 40° steep approaches at about 1.2 Vso.
Which is why, even though my 172N has 180 hp and I have the MGW-increase STC, I've never installed the flap limiter to take advantage of the higher gross weight. With 180 hp and 40° of flap, it's a good short-field airplane.

The flap limiter stopnut is in my desk drawer; if I ever need the higher MGW I'll have it installed.

I always loved flaps 40° steep approaches at about 1.2 Vso.
I fly every approach in my 63 150 at idle, trimmed for 60 mph ias and flaps 40. I can’t make the first taxiway that’s 1,000 foot from the threshold without using my brakes.

which was meticulously maintained
And that's probably it. I've been in a small handful of privately owned 182 and it was a whole different experience. Students abusing a 172 for 30+ years is not going to help

Before I went to the dark side I'd always rent an Archer for solo flights or flights with other pilots.. but any time family, friends, or the girlfriend were involved it was the Skyhawk because of the whole "it has two doors" thing.. which, indeed, is a huge positive

I sort of had this scenario happen. I have a cousin that lovers airplanes and flying and has 5 airplanes; Comanche, Pitts S2A, 1958 Champ just restored and another 1958 Champ in bare bones. #5 is a 1969 Cherokee her pulled out of the high grass at the airport 8 years ago. He and his EAA buddies did a total restoration restoration inside, outside, engine, interior, etc. back to factory new condition. When I got my PPL 6 years ago he flew the Cherokee to my airport for my birthday, threw me the keys and had 2 requests; enjoy flying it and get my a$$ back to Sussex (which is his home airport). I caught the keys, rented a tie down and flew him back to Sussex. There are many airplanes I flew in during my training from a DA40, 150, Warrior, Archer and 172. However when someone throws you the keys to a beautiful airplane the choice is made. I probably have over 400 hours in the Cherokee and never think about any other airplane.

I'd go for the Cessna, it's much easier to sell in the aftermarket

Back