Which David Clark Headset should I get?

Fellow_Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fellow_Pilot
I'm currently deciding between getting the david clark h20-10 or the h10-13x(price aside)? Is the extra ANR on the h10-13x worth it? Overall which headset is a better buy?

The ANR on the David Clark is not worth the money if you buy a new headset. I sell and test lots of headsets, been doing it for 15 years. The Lightspeeds are the best of the best now. I have used but like new Zulu PFX's and Wireless Tango's. I also deal with Bose and David Clark stuff. If you just want a lightweight passive go with the H10-13.4

I have two David Clark H10-13.4 passive headsets which I modified to active noise cancelling with the Active Headsets Inc. http://www.headsetsinc.com/anr_kits.html MX-001-A ANR kits which sell for $169. The modification took me about an hour for each headset, and they are both comfortable and effective. I purchased two of their $39 PM-012 12 volt panel mounted power modules so I could use ship's power in my Experimental Light Sport and not have to fiddle with changing batteries. When I use them in others' airplanes, I use the 9v battery box supplied with the ANR kits.

I have used Bose, Lightspeed, David Clark, and Sennheiser ANR headsets in the past, and think these modified DC H10-13.4s are competitive in comfort, clarity, and noise reduction with any of the others at a fraction of the cost.

I like David Clarks but I'm not a fan of their ANR. The H10-13.4 is a good headset but I wouldn't buy a new one. There are so many for sale on-line for much cheaper. eBay or the Ads here will have what you want if you're not in a hurry.

i love my 10.13x much better sound than my 10-60 converted with headset inc.

bob

My 13x is okay. ANR is modest but coupled with the passive it works okay. One nice thing is if the battery goes up in smoke you still have a DC headset on your ears.

I like David Clarks but I'm not a fan of their ANR. The H10-13.4 is a good headset but I wouldn't buy a new one. There are so many for sale on-line for much cheaper. eBay or the Ads here will have what you want if you're not in a hurry.
That's what I"m doing:)

None of them. Get a good headset. Unless you are already deef....

Going cheap on headset quality will cost you in the long run.

Do you have any recommendations? Under $400-500 is rather preferable.

The H10-13.4 is a good headset but I wouldn't buy a new one. There are so many for sale on-line for much cheaper. eBay or the Ads here will have what you want if you're not in a hurry.

Yup picked up two them off eBay plus another brand I don't use, 3 headsets plus a bunch of other stuff I don't use like a flight bag and electronic E6. $100, hope it wasn't hot merchandise lol.

If you buy a David Clark, pick one you really want, because they are freakin' indestructible. I've replaced the ear pads a couple times, and cleaned the connectors with an eraser every ten years or so; otherwise mine is on it's fifth decade of use (I think/think it's a H10-30? I'd have to look - something "-30", I think?). I've heard you can send an old one in and they'll convert it to ANR, and/or cut you other deals. Having experimented with a friend's ANR, it wasn't all that important to me. . .

But it just won't die. Either I'm lucky, or they build really robust stuff.

The David Clarks are not very comfortable for me. They are built tough but feel like my head is in a clamp, especially for long flights. The FlightCom Denali's are some of the most comfortable, light weight, great bang-for-the-buck ANR headsets that I have run across. They are right in the price range you are looking for. I have two sets. The one I've had for 6 years I have only replaced the ear pads a couple of months ago. Otherwise I've only changed batteries. They come in a nice padded case. They have held up really well for me, but I take good care of my stuff. See link below.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/denalid50anr.php

Flew with sheet ass David Clamps for years, get some Bose!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at a FARO G2, I have a Bose A20 and a Clarity Aloft but when I was trying different headsets on at Sportys I found the FARO to be more comfortable than Das

If you buy a David Clark, pick one you really want, because they are freakin' indestructible. I've replaced the ear pads a couple times, and cleaned the connectors with an eraser every ten years or so; otherwise mine is on it's fifth decade of use (I think/think it's a H10-30? I'd have to look - something "-30", I think?). I've heard you can send an old one in and they'll convert it to ANR, and/or cut you other deals. Having experimented with a friend's ANR, it wasn't all that important to me. . .

But it just won't die. Either I'm lucky, or they build really robust stuff.

They build really robust stuff. All six of the headsets in my Aztec are DCs. Only the one I currently use myself was purchased new. The oldest is a used H10-30 that was my first DC I've had more than 3 decades. It's been refurbished with Oregon Aero ear & headband pads. Used DCs are good value imo. I have a Halo that gets used very occasionally by passengers that really don't like a DC messing up their hair (I bought it for myself but never got accustomed to having something in my ears).

I'm really enjoying the David Clark One X. It's a great headset even with the ANR turned off.

My Bose worked flawlessly for the last 2000 hours, until I smashed them today. You jinxed me

Never had any models of DC's fail over lots of years either, but have permanent scars from them, the price of being cheap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man...

I had to double check my calendar to make sure it was still 2017 and I hadn’t time warped to 1997. Even after doing that I still felt compelled to double check other threads here to make sure there weren’t any about how Collins radio stacks were the best!

:cool:

:rolleyes:

The ANR on the David Clark is not worth the money if you buy a new headset. I sell and test lots of headsets, been doing it for 15 years. The Lightspeeds are the best of the best now. I have used but like new Zulu PFX's and Wireless Tango's. I also deal with Bose and David Clark stuff. If you just want a lightweight passive go with the H10-13.4

Any Used DC 13.4 available and if so how much?

I bought a H10-13X with a youth conversion kit for my son. He ended up having to fight me for it.

Man...

I had to double check my calendar to make sure it was still 2017 and I hadn’t time warped to 1997. Even after doing that I still felt compelled to double check other threads here to make sure there weren’t any about how Collins radio stacks were the best!

:cool:

:rolleyes:

Then you'll not be surprised to hear some of us DC users still wear watches that don't need a battery to tell time. :eek: :rolleyes:

My primary head set is a H10-13.4. I know it may not be super fancy and modern or whatnot, but I find it very comfortable even on long trips and the quality is really good too. Plus I don't have to worry much about breaking it, they are pretty stout. In my opinion seem to be much more durable compared to the more modern types.

Cue the "It's not 1985 anymore folks in 3....2....1....."

You should define what you want in a headset before deciding which ones you want. Weight, comfort, ANR, bluetooth, cost are all things to consider. I decided I wanted bluetooth for talking on the phone so that limits you. I ended up getting Lightspeed Sierras for $425 off Ebay and they have worked out well. Craigslist also has them every now and then.

I just switched from a Lightspeed G3 ANR to the David Clark One X. I love it. Much more comfortable and the ANR is much better than the older Lightspeed. Probably as good as the Bose, though I have not tested side by side. You really notice the reduction when you turn on the ANR.

I guess I like my DC because I don't have to take care of it - just stuff it in a flight bag, helmet bag, whatever I'm using to haul my junk.

I sell and test lots of headsets, been doing it for 15 years.

are the Bose a20 w/bluetooth really worth the the money? i want to buy a quality head set that will last a long time. i dont want to save some money now and end up upgrading them in 5 years.

The way to go right now would be a Bose QC35 with Nflightmic. Basically Bose A20s for half the price.

I think a lot of the "head clamp" issues come from the spring steel over-the-head part. It's an easy part to modify with some careful trial and error bending until the clampiness is reduced. No sound attenuation problems afterwards either. Worked for me.

are the Bose a20 w/bluetooth really worth the the money? i want to buy a quality head set that will last a long time. i dont want to save some money now and end up upgrading them in 5 years.

No actually the new Lightspeeds kill the Bose. The ZULU PFX is the best of the best and I do those at $699 shipped. I have done lots of testing and the Bose will not handle the loud planes I fly or will they handle a open window in my 172. The Lightspeeds work flawless. I sell both and my family uses Lightspeed.

The way to go right now would be a Bose QC35 with Nflightmic. Basically Bose A20s for half the price.

LOL! Yea right. As my above post the Lightspeeds kill the Bose. On the other hand the A20 is much better than that QC35. Maybe if you fly that Cherokee that you can't open a window on it will be ok?
I tried a QC35 in my J-3 just for music. It did not begin to work. The ANR crackled as soon as I pushed power for takeoff. Once in the air It went crazy with the wind noise. The QC35 was designed for a quiet jet and that's where they work well.

LOL! Yea right. As my above post the Lightspeeds kill the Bose. On the other hand the A20 is much better than that QC35. Maybe if you fly that Cherokee that you can't open a window on it will be ok?
I tried a QC35 in my J-3 just for music. It did not begin to work. The ANR crackled as soon as I pushed power for takeoff. Once in the air It went crazy with the wind noise. The QC35 was designed for a quiet jet and that's where they work well.

Thanks for the PIREP despite your rude post lol.

I didn't want my post to sound rude???
Just wanted to get across that the QC35 isn't a Bose A20 at half the cost. Not even close.

I have the A20s, Clarity Aloft Links, and my dad has the Zulu 2s. I wouldn’t personally buy the QC35s but heard it was a good alternative, but I guess your right they were reviews from jet folks.

I have the David Clark H10-30 headset. I bought it used off of Amazon. It arrived in near perfect condition. It's not the lightest headset in the world, but it works like its supposed to, sound quality is fine. The thing is built like a tank and you can order just about any replacement part you could ever need from the David Clark website if anything ever dares to break.

Look at a FARO G2, I have a Bose A20 and a Clarity Aloft but when I was trying different headsets on at Sportys I found the FARO to be more comfortable than Das

The FARO G2 was my second headset I bought after the David Clark non-ANR I bought when I was still in training. In my experience, the G2's microphone has to be practically IN my mouth to pick up anything. YMMV.

Back