Which database for my GNC355

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I went to fly.garmin.com and I was looking to update my database for my Garmin GNC355 and it shows a single update for $129 but it says its only for 28 days. Then it has a $499 option but it doesn't say how long it is for. Is it really $500 a year to keep my databases current?

Welcome to the wonderful world of garmin.

The U.S. navigation database is $299 per year. The obstacle and terrain databases can be updated periodically on a one time basis if desired. You have to do a little digging to select that option for your unit. This is what I do for my GNS-430W.

For IFR, that nav database has to be updated every month. Well technically you can use outdated enroute of you verify the points.

You have a nice unit, buy the annual pass!

I do the $499 option from Garmin. I use Jepps with ForeFlight. I found the Garmin is fine in my GNC-355..

-Don

US nav database for my gnc355 is $299 per year. Includes all you get for $499 but doesn’t update terrain. I figure I’ll die long before the mountains change their elevation..

US nav database for my gnc355 is $299 per year. Includes all you get for $499 but doesn’t update terrain. I figure I’ll die long before the mountains change their elevation..
$299 also doesn't include obstacles (man-made stuff that you can hit) and SafeTaxi, which are both on a 56 day cycle. Keep your eyes open and always ask tower for progressives.

You'll also need to keep an eye on BaseMap, which only updates on an as-needed basis but costs $99 when it does.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/devices/update-schedule

$299 also doesn't include obstacles (man-made stuff that you can hit) and SafeTaxi, which are both on a 56 day cycle. Keep your eyes open and always ask tower for progressives.

You'll also need to keep an eye on BaseMap, which only updates on an as-needed basis but costs $99 when it does.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/devices/update-schedule

If you're flying IFR correctly, the obstacles aren't a concern. If you're flying low-level in a helicopter or something, then maybe there's value there.

As far SafeTaxi, most of the EFBs already have some kind of taxi diagram.

When people ask me which subscription to get, I almost always default to suggesting JUST the Nav Data, unless they can come up with a compelling reason for the rest.

If you're flying IFR correctly, the obstacles aren't a concern. If you're flying low-level in a helicopter or something, then maybe there's value there.

As far SafeTaxi, most of the EFBs already have some kind of taxi diagram.

When people ask me which subscription to get, I almost always default to suggesting JUST the Nav Data, unless they can come up with a compelling reason for the rest.
I don't disagree. As a matter of fact, one could also argue that stale Safetaxi and Obstacle databases are good enough. However, you do have to keep an eye out for Basemap updates by going that route. The last one was Nov 2020 according to the link above, so for planning purposes it's probably best to set your budget at $398/year rather than $299/year with the possibility of some unevenness.

Side question: Since the GNC355 has a COM radio, does it also consume the Frequency database? I forgot to check the last time I flew with a 355.

I don't disagree. As a matter of fact, one could also argue that stale Safetaxi and Obstacle databases are good enough. However, you do have to keep an eye out for Basemap updates by going that route. The last one was Nov 2020 according to the link above, so for planning purposes it's probably best to set your budget at $398/year rather than $299/year with the possibility of some unevenness.

What does the Basemap include? Is it just the roads, rivers, lakes, city names and stuff like that? If so, I wouldn’t be in a big hurry to update that either.

What does the Basemap include? Is it just the roads, rivers, lakes, city names and stuff like that? If so, I wouldn’t be in a big hurry to update that either.
Hm, I thought it was more than that but perhaps not.

Back