Which Corporate Jet "Type Rating" is most in demand in Business Aviation Today?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by XCFLYER, Nov 9, 2018.

1. XCFLYER

XCFLYER Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    XCFLYER
    Any recommendations?

2. NJP_MAN

NJP_MAN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I'll say G650 or Global vision. It takes more than a type rating though. It takes time in type and that's what they really want. Anyone can go do the 61.55 SIC flying on a citation but the long range/ big planes don't usually play those games.

3. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    From reading a certain Euro-centric aviation forum it appears the most desireable ratings are a G500/550/600/650 or a Global 6000/7000 PIC ticket. Some operators over there expect pilots to pay for their type rating, usually through an indentured servant bond.

The pilots are vehemently against this, as it has lowered wages and is created quite a bit of turmoil. With a G650 type rating going for around €100,000 plus, and some Euro operators paying just €1,000 for a pilot's day rate salary, those with permanent positions are up in arms about the freelancers dragging down the market.

I only know what I have read, and there isn't much information out there on what US salaries are for the G500/550/600/650. At that level of compensation, basing, scheduling, health insurance, and pensions are very much part of the compensation negotiations for full-time flight crews.

It appears European employment conditions and compensation for the GLEX, Falcon 7X and 8X are similar to that of the G500/550/600/650 PIC seat.

As I said, I don't know much detail about this. My sources are a G550 captain and a 7X PIC. Both are long time employees with their respective companies. Out of an abundance of respect for their positions, I don't ask many questions about their flight operations.

4. mtuomi

mtuomi En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    In demand?
    Definitely not GLEX or such.
    We're talking CE-500, CJ-525 or maybe LR45. There's always work for people with those types.
    GLEX, good luck finding a seat.

5. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    From reading a certain Euro-centric aviation forum it appears a desireable rating is the G500/550/600/650 or a Global 6000/7000 PIC ticket. Some operators over there expect pilots to pay for their type rating, usually through an indentured servant bond.

The pilots are vehemently against this, as it has lowered wages and is created quite a bit of turmoil. With a G650 type rating going for around €100,000 plus, and some Euro operators paying just €1,000 for a pilot's day rate salary, those with permanent positions are up in arms about the freelancers dragging down the market.

I only know what I have read, and there isn't much information out there on what US salaries are for the G500/550/600/650. At that level of compensation, basing, scheduling, health insurance, and pensions are very much part of the compensation negotiations for full-time flight crews.

It appears European employment conditions and compensation for the GLEX, Falcon 7X and 8X are similar to that of the G500/550/600/650 PIC seat.

As I said, I don't know much detail about this. My sources are a G550 captain and a 7X PIC. Both are long time employees with their respective companies. Out of an abundance of respect for their positions, I don't ask many questions about their flight operations.

6. mscard88

mscard88 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    What your potential employer operates.

TCABM and Zeldman like this.
  7. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    If you are paying for it yourself, go for the CE-500. Most bang for the buck: covers a lot of different models of Citation.

Hawker800 likes this.
  8. billKAFW

billKAFW Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill
    OPINION: Citation XLS or Embraer 300. This are both historically very popular (and still in-wide-service) business jets.

If it ain't flying, you ain't getting contract work. Best to get something that is actively flying, and will continue to be, for years ahead (RVSM, ADS-B, etc). Personally I would do the above.

OPINION

9. Fearless Tower

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    Fortunately, gone are the days of people paying out of pocket for 737 types in hopes of getting hired by SWA

TCABM, Sluggo63 and Eric Stoltz like this.
  10. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Not sure if I agree with the suggestion of getting a GLEX or Falcon 7/8 type right off. The job opportunities are much more limited and the employer will likely want a significantly higher time applicant vs. someone who holds a Citation type that will cover a much broader array of jobs.

Like @Fearless Tower said, if you had to choose, go with the CE-500.

Hawker800 likes this.
  11. Fearless Tower

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    Honestly, in the current market, I would not recommend paying for any PIC type unless it’s for a plane you are buying and going to fly yourself.

If you are just starting out, an SIC type might be worth it (fraction of the cost) to get your foot in the door contracting and building experience, but once you have the turbine experience, go get hired and let the employer send you to school.

12. 35 AoA

35 AoA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    35 AoA
    I'm curious what you mean by this?

13. mtuomi

mtuomi En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dera
    In the current market based on my recent experience, you don't have to pay anything out of pocket. "SIC type" or 61.55 check is done as part of your "company checkout" if you need it.
    Most contract SICs are guys who just sit right seat because customer likes two pilots.

14. Eric Stoltz

Eric Stoltz Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aftcg
    B707. That will take you everywhere.

15. Hawker800

Hawker800 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Daniel
    I’ve got 3 type ratings in older aircraft. They’ve kept me employed for many years.

16. Plano Pilot

Plano Pilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Plano Pilot
    I would think the CE525 would be a good one to have. Like the CE500 it covers several models, unlike the CE500 they are still building them. The CE500 has been around a long time, I got my type 31 years ago, and the fleet is only getting smaller. I will say that the contract CE500 pilots I know stay busy.

17. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Groundpounder
    What is the experience level of the OP?

18. mscard88

mscard88 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Agree but I was referring to corporate flying, IF one wanted to get a type. In the current atmosphere I wouldn’t do it myself.

Groundpounder likes this.
  19. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    They fly VIPs, and travel to destinations that aren't publicized. I just don't ask any questions about that or money.

20. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Agreed. Although the Gulstreams & Globals are more in demand by employers, one has zero point zero chance of getting a job flying one of those machines without lots of experience in those airplanes, or possibly similar jets (yes, I’m certain someone will come up with the exception).
    One actually has a chance landing a job flying one of the smaller Citation models without jet experience, or even without much experience in general.

21. Unit74

Unit74 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    Travoltas 707.....not so much. You can sit in the left seat and go vroom-vroom as loud as you want though....

Eric Stoltz and Ryanb like this.
  22. 35 AoA

35 AoA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    35 AoA
    ahhh gotcha......do they also use the callsign "DOTCOM"? :)

23. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    I dunno...I never thought to ask.

24. XCFLYER

XCFLYER Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    XCFLYER
    Thanks for the input. It'll be my first type rating.
    The companies I'm looking into are operating Cessna Citation, Challenger 300, and Hawker 800 aircraft.

25. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Seriously, if they are going to hire you they will send you for professional training anyway (or at least they should).
    I would let them pay for it.

Plano Pilot likes this.