which controls?

BalooAirService

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cloud Kicker
which controls (or auto pilot) do you want to be behind?
*some choices are only possible in dreams sadly.

- a 767 flying to London
- a dash-8 in the Caribbean
- your own plane flying to anywhere
- a bush plane in Alaska
- corpate jet flying to KMIA
- an F22 raptor
- space shuttle
- an experimental you built yourself
- any plane, as long as your a CFI teaching
- a sim instructor for a world class airline
- your sim at home
- no controls, you hate flying (unlikely)

me personally, ill take the bush plane in Alaska. Then move to dash8 in the Bahamas once im sick of -40F.

All other things being equal I would also take the bush plane in Alaska option.

I like my bush plane, but of I had my choice off your list, I'd love to be on the cutting edge of flight, seeing how sitting behind a controls of the shuttle would mean I would be playing airplane in a static display in a museum, so off your list Id take a raptor, but I'd want to shoot junkyard cars, not some dude I got no personal issue with.

Off your list, one of the prototypes for virgin gliatic would be cool

Im with you guys on the shuttle too. Watching re-entry on TV was amazing enough.. flying is whole nother level.
lol @ lunar module. I should have put a DC3 during the golden age of flying on my list too.

Shuttle hands down, followed by the Raptor, bush plane, Dash-8, experimental, then CFI.

Is the shuttle "simulator" still around? I think it was a highly modified Gulfstream jet. Perhaps NASA could make some cash selling flights in it.

Either Air Wolf or Blue Thunder. Preferably Air Wolf because it can fly supersonic.

No helicopter options???:eek:

Last edited:
It amazing to me (well maybe not).. how many pilots love the idea of the bush life.
We pilots love to look outside our windshield and think "wow, im really flying above hundreds of thousands of people and I can see in any direction 20+ miles.. what a view".
Flying in beautiful Alaska seeing mountains, snow, forests, wilderness, bears and still in the good 'ol USA is almost a spiritual thing.
I think deep inside we all want those off airport landings in a valley.. knowing that another person is not within 200 miles of you.
Pretty amazing.

amazingly no one picked the 767 to London lol.
damn.. should have put a 747 instead lol.

F-105, 1966-67. After that (if there was an after that), what would really ever be as intense? Second choice, F-86 in Korea, or F-15 in the Bekaa valley.

Now, in my golden years, a nice SF-260.

From thenoptions you listed it's a hard toss up between the shuttle and the F-22

Is the shuttle "simulator" still around? I think it was a highly modified Gulfstream jet. Perhaps NASA could make some cash selling flights in it.

Best I could find was that three of them were to go on display, and one was auctioned off.

"Other STAs will be displayed at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Dryden Flight Research Center in California, and the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala."

Ah here it is. Sounds like it went to a museum in Texas.

"A space shuttle training aircraft once piloted by Rick Husband is taking one last flight — to Amarillo.
Because NASA has discontinued the shuttle program, the training aircraft is no longer needed, said Richard Clark, chief of aircraft operations at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The space agency had four training aircraft and gave one to the Texas Air & Space Museum, 10001 American Drive, near Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport.

NASA officials are scheduled to deliver it Thursday from Houston, and a few days later the aircraft will be available for public viewing, museum operations manager Richard Warner said."

I forgot that one of them had a bolt shear off and dropped one of the 500 lb thrust reverser buckets (which were deployed in the steep descent profile to simulate the Shuttle approach) into a river somewhere where divers recovered it to see what happened back in the early 2000s.

Ran across that searching for their final resting places.

- an F22 raptor
- an experimental you built yourself
- space shuttle

In that order. Trip to space would be cool, would not like trying to land that thing.

Done the Alaska thing. Did it again, and once again. Lots of fun.

More fun letting others fly to make my bank account grow.

Back