Which CFI Refresher Course?

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
The time has come to renew my CFI. What's the least driest refresher course out there? Bonus points if they do all the paper work for you like send your info to the FAA once you complete the course. Thanks!

Fortunately, I've only had to do one of those once. I did a two-day deal with one of the major traveling dog/pony shows. Big name outfit, they did them all over the place. It was beyond a doubt the most boring, useless two days I've ever spent in aviation. Very amateurishly put together. I remember the presenter kept commenting about how the FAA liked what they were doing. And I remember thinking at the time, holy shiite, if that's true the FAA has definitely lowered its expectations. It was absolutely awful.

American Flyers. Pay once and renew for free forever (there is a $25 fee for them to do all the paperwork). I've been doing it for over a decade now.

Dunno about least dry, but it's certainly friggin' cheap, which now that you're an airline pilot should be numero uno on your list! :)

I've always used Gleim, but last time I used AOPA, both handled the paperwork for an extra $25. As kayoh says, Amer Flyers one-time charge, but I've never used them.

The AOPA course was very good and I actually picked up a few things. I've since lost or forgotten what they were though. I'd take it again. Oh snap, I'm due by September. Man time flys.

One thing you could try is make an appointment to see your airline POI and get 'er done free. I did that once or twice w/ our POI. Kinda a pain, having to make an appointment, go thru the FAA building security, etc etc.

Last edited:
American Flyers. Pay once and renew for free forever (there is a $25 fee for them to do all the paperwork). I've been doing it for over a decade now.

Dunno about least dry, but it's certainly friggin' cheap, which now that you're an airline pilot should be numero uno on your list! :)

I used AF. The text was dry and the typography was horrible. Despite the free renewals for life I would pay again for something better.

Thanks guys! Have you heard of AceCFI? They are doing $79 for lifetime renewals (plus $25 each renewal for them to process to the FAA). Cheapest is also a plus!

I used AF. The text was dry and the typography was horrible. Despite the free renewals for life I would pay again for something better.

Not sure when you last renewed, but the American Flyers online FIRC has been updated in the last year.

Back